Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Today was a lovely day, cold with lots of Frost but at least the Sun was shining. I decided it was time to visit Penn Flash if only
for a short walk, my Husband used to do all the driving,( I was a lazy passenger )which was a mistake because I'd to make myself start to drive again, I felt nervous at first, I didn't know where the stupid wing screen wipers were worked from and kept putting them on instead of indicating lights :oops: It's taken a while but I've got the confidence back and have been out and about ever since, ( actually if I'm really truthful my Daughter got me going again with a bit of Bullying ) :D

Any way , I arrived at Penn Flash and it seemed strange at first to be on my own there but I gradually got into the walk and went into the first Hide, (my favourite really because of the small birds you can see in there,) of course it was too soon for migratory birds but I was pleased to see the male Bull Finch in all his glory and his Female counter part :D

After taking a walk and few shots I was feeling the cold and got myself a coffee and sausage sandwich to eat in the car, (well you've to spoil yourself bit Havant you) :D It was a first for me, now I'm looking forward to the Spring. :)

Thanks David for your post, I've made a start now. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b26c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b26b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b26e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b26d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b26a.jpeg
jenks

Post by jenks »

Hi Goldie,
Your second photo looks to have a female (or first winter male) Reed Bunting looking wistfully at the Robin taking all the bird seed. Not a common sight at bird tables (the Bunting that is not the Robin !). It shows the advantage of putting out food for the birds. Even those not commonly seen at feeders will summon up the courage when the weather gets colder.

Jenks.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was just about to mention the Reed Bunting - but scrolling down Jenks beat me to the punch :D Great set of shots - good on your daughter for bullying you I bet after a delightful visit you were glad that she did :D Happy New Year - in case I missed this a week ago :wink: - this time of year is surprisingly hectic :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see you made the most of a beautiful winter's day, Goldie.

Sadly, I was left to admire it from within the workplace, which was frustrating as I'm sure there would have been a butterfly or two taking advantage of the unseasonably mild conditions.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Jenks, I thought you may be interested in these photo's I took of the Reed Bunting, I took them a distance a way and didn't include them because I liked the shot with the Robin in best. :D

Hi! Wurzel, Happy New Year to you :D I think I was too wrapped up in dreading Christmas for the first time with out Jim to take in any thing going on around me at the time :roll: Christmas had it's moments for all the family but we knew how much he enjoyed it and wouldn't want us to sad but get on with it :)
I've included another bird I took a shot of, i'm not quite sure what it is, it looks like a Female Gold Finch with it's marking's on it's back but it seems too big, I thought Green Finch but they don't have those markings do they?, I'm still not sure and I was too far a way . Any Idea's?

Hi! David, It was far too cold here for Butterflies yesterday, even though the Sun was shining it wasn't warm, my fingers were frozen taking the shots :roll: but it was good to get out with out the wind biting into you :D We could do with a few more days like yesterday, lets hope it's nice weather for you this week-end then you can get out and about. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b274.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b273.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_b272.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Goldie, Happy new year and all that :). Good to see you're getting out and about. You're right about that final bird, it is a female (or juvenile) Greenfinch :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for the that BB, at least I'm right for once :lol: Goldie :D
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Goldie, lovely selection of birds. :D Well done getting back in the drivers seat. :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot of the Reed Bunting Goldie :D Like the Greenfinch as well - I'd be tempted to think it a juvenile more than female because it looks more 'streakier' but then again I'm not sure - I'd call it a juvenile female Greenfinch and then you're covered :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's Andrew and Wurzel, I want to go to the Flash again , may be if we get another really nice day and in a week or two, there may be some Spring birds coming by then :D
The weather's to change I believe next week it looks like we could have some Snow at some point, there should be a few more birds coming into the Garden if so. Goldie :D
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Goldie,

Just wanted to say that I’ve got nothing but admiration for the way you’re getting on with things, getting out, driving again, and so-on. Especially at this time of year, when it can be hard to get motivated at times. Keep up the good work!

Your husband would be proud. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks for that essex, I think January is one of the worst months of the year for getting depressed so getting out and about in my circumstances is a must, I also have great memories to draw from, what can I say ," we'd a great marriage " Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

I too am very impressed at the positive attitude you are showing in carrying on and getting out and about.

Well done,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Neil, It's getting much easier but I've had loads of help from family and my Neighbours which helps, loads of encourage meant and knocks on the door. :D

Today in my Garden I took some shots of a Blue Tit and a Chaffinch, they were the only ones that stayed long enough for a shot :lol: Goldie
Attachments
IMG_4766.jpg
fullsizeoutput_b29a.jpeg
IMG_4754.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a very quizzical look on the Chaffinch - was it trying to work out how to get some more scran? :D Is it me or are they starting to look a bit smarter ready for the forthcoming season?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see all those birds keeping you busy, Goldie. You might get quite a few more soon if the weather turns colder (as is forecast).
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel and Dave,

I think Wurzel the Chaffinch are definitely looking brighter and there's quite a few of them around at present, I think
that one was looking for his Buddy there was two of them in the tree this morning :lol:

Hi! David, I took this shot this morning of three Gold Finch through the kitchen window it was raining hard but it didn't seem to worry them :D Cold tomorrow and Friday maybe snow will come to lower levels, I've to go over the moor to my Cousins tomorrow
so hope fully if it Snows, it'll be on Friday Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4788.jpg
IMG_4786.jpg
fullsizeoutput_b2b0.jpeg
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hi Goldie,
I am so glad that, with the support of your loving family, you managed a Christmas that your husband would have been proud of and enjoyed.
I have been luckily enough to have met both of you, when a couple of years ago you were running around the steep slopes of Lydden Bank chasing Silver Spotted Skippers. Neither of you looking your now declared age. I remember your husband had taken a chunk out of a tree, as well as his head, and was still smiling and enjoying the butterflies. With memories like that I am sure that you are well equiped to make the most of life whilst still cherishing the love and support of the man beside you for so long. I look forward to perhaps bumping into you again on one of your butterfly holidays in Kent (especially if we got the Long Tailed Blues back at Kingsdown).

Take care
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, that was a great day out, not too much for Jim with the bang to his head,( which he blamed on the nab of his cap saying he didn't see the branch for it ) :D with your help I did manage some shots of the SSS.
Jim was always cheerful and always saw the better side of things, he'd joke about things I moaned about and get me laughing too :D
Everybody liked him and I was shocked at his funeral when every one of the neighbours came to the funeral, they all said the same that he'd made them laugh, he'd a real sense of humour :D
I intend to go back to Temple Ewell next time I'm in Kent so it would be good to see you again, if while I'm there you see the Long Tailed Blue just let me know :D Goldie :D
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots Goldie. :D I do like birds on feeders. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”