Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Purple Hairstreak- Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by Wurzel »

Purple Hairstreak- Favourite Photo of 2018

Week 13

Well here we go, the first Favourite Post of 2019, a belated Happy New year :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Purple Hairstreak- Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by bugboy »

Like the Black Hairstreak, this is likely to be a longer than normal thread after the phenomenal amount of sightings close to the ground last year. Here's a freshly emerged one I found climbing up some grass stems
Purple Hairstreak, Bookham Commons.JPG
and the following day I found another one who allowed some close up studies
Purple Hairstreak detail, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my first Purple Hair Streak in Blean Woods on the 9th July, It was a big surprise because usually I chase across to East Blean Woods to look for them :D( there's quite a distance between the two entrances ) The nearest I got to an open wing shot was on my second visit 21st of July. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_2827.jpg
fullsizeoutput_98e6.jpeg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

At first, I thought I was going to have to 'pass' on this species and then remembered my surprise encounter at the local garden centre!

My wife told me that there were lots of Whites mud-puddling in the areas where plants had recently been watered. This was at the height of this summer's hot drought.

I went to have a look and, after photographing many Whites, I suddenly spotted something 'different'. I think it had been disturbed by shoppers since, when I first saw it, it was on a dry stretch of path and in danger of being trodden upon. This was my first shot, as I guarded it from passers by.
Nuneham Garden Centre, Oxon - 2nd July 2018<br />Olympus E-M1-ii with 40-150mm lens - 1/2500s@f/8 ISO 640
Nuneham Garden Centre, Oxon - 2nd July 2018
Olympus E-M1-ii with 40-150mm lens - 1/2500s@f/8 ISO 640
It soon moved to a wetter area, as shown by the photo in my diary. I noticed it seemed to prefer wetter, muddier areas, whereas the Whites congregated on damp gravel, rather then these wetter places.

Mike
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

24.06.18 Woodwalton Fen, I have spent many an early morning searching for newly emerged PH mostly without any luck on this occasion we saw 3 but briefly down in the grass before they were away up into the trees so this is my favourite pic from the day
Purple Hairstreak0080.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote:...This was my first shot, as I guarded it from passers by.
That's a mint specimen, Mike. No wonder you moved to guard it.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Definitely another good year for this species, and early mornings in the right woods produced dozens flying low down before retreating later to higher up. On one of several trips to Bookham Commons, I finally managed an open-wing shot from reasonably close.
PH2 290618.JPG
I also like this underside shot from the previous day.
PH2 280618.JPG
I was also pleased with this shot of two eggs found by Bugboy close to the Hundred Pound Bridge.
PH eggs2 160718.JPG
Dave
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

I really struggled to find hairstreaks (of any kind) this year, strangely. This was the sole photo I took of one of the Purple persuasion; at Alners Gorse (Dorset) on the roasting hot morning of 26th June, it was quite content to remain firmly in the shade.
IMG_8996.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I was very lucky with Purple Hairstreaks last season with many seen low down ,with two very memorable early morning encounters
with them (from which these shots were taken ) the male posed perfectly ,but try as I might ,I just couldn,t find the right position to catch its Purple
uppers ,shame because it was a very fresh individual.
The second shot was of a pitch battle between up to five Hairstreaks ,all trying to take control of a forming Acorn ,which they seem to be extremely fond of !
The last ,a female which I spotted from some distance showing vivid Purple uppersides ,I approached cautiously set the camera to burst
and managed six shots ,but only the one shot (or possibly )two showing its bright colours. Shame about the damaged hindwings !
P1310194.JPG
P1310530.JPG
P1320275.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Purple Hairstreak

Due to the heat the Purple Hairstreaks seemed to be coming down quite regularly this year, but you had to be there early enough and either having the girls in tow or having to make sure they were sorted out before I left meant that ‘getting there early’ most times didn’t happen. The one time it did was on a trip to Shipton Bellinger when instead of the expected Brown Hairstreak sitting nicely posed there was a Purple Hairstreak! The peculiar nature of the sighting meant that I had to choose this for my favourite shot.
DSC_0145 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

There have been times during the past couple of years that I have felt like I am the only person in the UK to not be seeing Purple Hairstreaks low down. This is no doubt due to my available time usually being later in the afternoons when I would see plenty up in their usual abodes high up around the tops of oak trees.
I only took one photo, at Fermyn Woods when I went there in late June for Purple Emperors. This was the lowest one that I saw all year and even this shot was taken by holding my FZ200 at arms length above my head and using the variable angle screen.
Purple Hairstreak - Fermyn Woods 28.06.2018
Purple Hairstreak - Fermyn Woods 28.06.2018
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote:...The last ,a female which I spotted from some distance showing vivid Purple uppersides...
She may not be in perfect condition, but an audience such as that is to die for, Allan. I'm very envious of you! :mrgreen:

Return to “Purple Hairstreak”