Painted Lady - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 12

The days are getting longer, we’ll soon offically be in 2019 so here’s hoping that it’s even better than 2018 – Happy New Year to you all. However before we look ever forward there’s still another 9 weeks of looking back WINK

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Re: Painted Lady - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by Goldie M »

Believe it or not I saw my Painted Lady on the 1st of June in my Garden, I was sitting in the shade when the Butterfly flew over my fence and landed on my Boules Mauve, what a surprise!! as it happens it was the only one I saw in such good condition after that. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b114.jpeg
Nigel P

Post by Nigel P »

Only one Painted Lady visited our garden this year, 17th August, luckily the camera was to hand.
IMG_8092.jpg
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Finally, a decent underside shot for my collection :D
Painted Lady - Mill Hill, Sussex 29-Sept-2018
Painted Lady - Mill Hill, Sussex 29-Sept-2018
Vince
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

An underside shot of a Painted Lady, seen in the Dordogne on 19th July.

P1020331.jpgCResize.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A chance encounter with an egg laying female at Bookham gets my vote this year. Sadly I had my macro lens on and didn't have time to swap it with my zoom but I still managed do get close enough to show what she was up to :)
Painted Lady ovipositing, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
KeithS

Post by KeithS »

Didn't see many of these about in 2018. This one was from Bavins Shaw, July 27th...

She (or he) was camera-shy and would not oblige for a top-side shot although I watched her (or him) feed for around 10 minutes until the local SWFs flew in and provided a welcome diversion.
David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote:An underside shot of a Painted Lady, seen in the Dordogne on 19th July.
One of the best images I've seen. Superb.
David M

Post by David M »

Painted Ladies were the only vanessid to appear in any numbers in south Wales in late summer/early autumn. This individual has been chosen not for its beauty but for symbolic reasons - it was actually the LAST butterfly I saw in 2018......on 21st October!
1PL1(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Painted Ladies appeared at a few sites that I visited though the summer in 2018 and I saw more of these than summer Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks put together. That does not mean that I saw loads of Painted Ladies, maybe a dozen all told, but rather is a sad comment on the low numbers of the other two species.
Painted Lady - Oversley Wood 18.07.2018
Painted Lady - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
Painted Lady - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
Cheers,

Neil
John W

Post by John W »

I was at Mill Hill the same time as Vince and got pretty much the same underside shot of a lovely fresh female:
pl - 2.jpg
Mill Hill, Sept 29th 2018, 1.55pm

Plus this upperside:
pl - 1 (1).jpg
Mill Hill, Sept 29th 2018, 2.26pm

Cheers
John W
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

On 25th July, my fieldwork took my to the spectacular Llanymynech Rocks reserve on the Welsh border (jointly managed between Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trusts). I think most visitors to the reserve mainly explore the quarry section, but it's possible to walk up through the reserve, over the adjacent golf course, and through an unpromising wooded alley to emerge in an amazing wildflower meadow. Here, we found swarms of freshly-emerged Painted Ladies, Peacocks and Silver-washed Fritillaries flying together. My favourite picture was this close-up underside shot - the PL underside really is something special!
IMG_2038.JPG
Medard

Post by Medard »

Seen at the Fort de Salses, Pyrénées-Orientales,France. 17-09-2018, for the wine buffs Fitou is only 12KM along the road, cheers.

JUI_7364 Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui)_00001.jpg
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Painted Lady

I suddenly started seeing Painted Ladies once the summer was in full swing and though it wasn’t a really vintage year I managed to see 8 at 7 different sites ranging from Wiltshire to Wales and back again to Surrey. It was nice to finally have the problem of which shots to choose for my favourite although it would have been even nicer to have had an even greater range to select from like in 2009!

My favourite came from Broughton Down and stood out for me because of the combination of freshness and lighting which made it almost burst out from the Hemp Agrimoney which it was feeding on.
DSC_0488 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

There really weren't many about in the places I visited in 2018, with Mill Hill being the only spot where I saw more than one at a time. Very few appeared on my local patch, with the last one on 31st October being notable, particularly as it came after at least one night with a ground frost. However, it was not playing ball with the camera.
PL1 311018.JPG
The Mill Hill contingent, nectaring avidly on Hemp Agrimony earier the same month prior to hopping the Channel, were much more amenable.
PL3 051018.JPG
PL11a 051018.JPG
Dave

Return to “Painted Lady”