Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks BB, and thanks for the ID.

Thanks, Wurzel, the shot of the SWA was taken through a hedge, as I couldn’t easily get around to the other side without disturbing the butterfly.

Thanks, David, yes the female Sooty Copper was very fresh.

Hi, Old Wolf, France is a beautiful place to visit, with astounding numbers and diversity of butterfly species.
Seeing the roosting bats was amazing, something I’ve not seen before.

Brenne continued

While I hung around in the first field, Cathy had moved on along the track and was no longer in sight. After about fifteen minutes she returned, out of breath, to tell me that she had found another field further along the track, which was full of butterflies. We both hurried along and were soon standing at the entrance to the field shown in the following shot.

P1020795Resize.JPG

It was actually the bed of a dried up lake, and it was covered with the tall flowering spikes of Purple Loosestrife. Nectaring on these flowers were dozens of Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moths, I couldn’t believe just how many there were (but very difficult to photograph)! In addition I could see that there were plenty of various butterfly species enjoying the nectar of both the Loosestrife, and the clusters of the small pinky-white flowers on the sagging stems of Pale Smartweed – a member of the Knotweed family.

Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth.

I then spotted a larger moth nectaring nearby, which on closer inspection turned out to be a Jersey Tiger.

Jersey Tiger Moth.
Jersey Tiger Moth.
Jersey Tiger Moth.
Jersey Tiger Moth.

There were lots of Brimstones, Green-veined Whites and Clouded Yellows.

Brimstone female.
Brimstone female.
Green-veined White.
Green-veined White.
Clouded Yellow.
Clouded Yellow.

Glanville and Spotted Fritillaries.

Glanville Fritillary.
Glanville Fritillary.
Spotted Fritillary.
Spotted Fritillary.
Spotted Fritillary male.
Spotted Fritillary male.

And some lovely fresh female Holly Blues.

Holly Blue female.
Holly Blue female.
Holly Blue female.
Holly Blue female.

All too soon it was time for us to move on in order to reach our final overnight stopping point in Normandy. In any case the harsh midday sun was making the butterflies hyperactive and there was no shade for us in the 30 degree heat. So we headed back to the car for a drink and, nectaring in the Buddleia next to the car was a Southern White Admiral.

Southern White Admiral.
Southern White Admiral.

The Brenne is such a stunning part of France that it really needs more time to explore it more fully. Next time for sure.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great reportage Mike cracking shots as always and another brill SWA :D :mrgreen: I'd love to have driven through France and seen various different areas as you did :mrgreen: :D I need to get back to France...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Wurzel, you're always very generous with your comments :D I'd like to drive through France again, but be a bit more informed about where to visit, and decide exactly what species I'd like to see :) Like the Woodland Brown and Alcon Blue, for example :wink:

After leaving the Brenne we drove to Lower Normandy, reaching our overnight stop-off point quite late. The following morning we set off to a reserve that we’d previously only visited in the winter, when we went to see it’s Red Squirrels, which are found in the deciduous woodland that borders it. When we arrived at the gate we met the warden, who was checking on the grazing animals who keep the reserve in shape. When he found out we were interested in butterflies, he quickly produced his copy of the Lafrancis ‘Papillions De France’, to kindly show us what we could expect to see. After a quick chat, we thanked him and set off into the beautiful meadow shown in the following photo.

P1020931Resize.JPG

The guardians of the meadow.

P1020856Resize.JPG
P1020857Resize.JPG
P1020860Resize.JPG

We soon began to see plenty of butterflies, but, as it was very warm they were mostly quite lively.

Weavers (Violet) Fritillary.
Weavers (Violet) Fritillary.
Swallowtail.
Swallowtail.
Swallowtail.
Swallowtail.
Silver-washed Fritillary, male.
Silver-washed Fritillary, male.
Wood White.
Wood White.
Gatekeeper, female.
Gatekeeper, female.
Ringlet.
Ringlet.
Meadow Brown.
Meadow Brown.
Silver Y Moth.
Silver Y Moth.

A great morning spent in a beautiful French meadow full of butterflies - but now we had a ferry to catch.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Absolutely fantastic selections from France Mike! :mrgreen: :D What a beautiful range of species, and all very well captured. :D

Cheers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Credit where credit is due Mike :D I like the sound of Alcon Blue and Woodland Brown :D :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That meadow looks very appetising, Mike. Wouldn't it be lovely if we had Swallowtails fluttering around ours?

Good luck with your aim to see Woodland Brown. This is one of the fastest disappearing species in France, sadly. :(

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Andrew, Wurzel and David.

A Fieldfare in the garden

When the beast from the east struck in March this year, we were privileged to have the company of this lovely bird for the three days that the snow lay on the ground. We provided him/her with a diet of apples which were readily consumed. Any other birds that ventured into the garden were quickly chased out by this winter visitor. He was however very easy going with us and would stay put in the bush when we were replacing the apple halves.

037AResize.JPG
047AResize.JPG

He spent the nights roosting in a bush at the bottom of the garden.

031AResize.JPG
041Resize.JPG

When the thaw came he moved on, and we were sorry to see him go.

As this is my last dairy entry of 2018, I would like to wish everyone on UKB a very happy, healthy, and butterfly filled 2019.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great photos of the Fieldfare, I never manage to get close to them.

Hope you have a great 2019 too and get to see everything you wish for.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I concur with Neil - great photos of a very charismatic bird - a lot less shy than their smaller cousin the Redwings. :D If the Beast makes a return visit then we can expect a few more of these :) Have a cracking 2019 yourself Mike :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful bird, Mike, and how kind of him to book in chez toi on his travels! :)
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Neil, Wurzel and David.

Underway at last

We spent couple of enjoyable hours today walking our local patch in the warm February sun. Our first sighting of 2019 was of a Brimstone, (followed by at least 6 others). As they weren’t really stopping this was the best record shot I could manage.

P1030608Resize.JPG

Also seen were several Peacocks nectaring on Heather, and a lone Comma which had the Viburnum blossom, all to itself.

P1030598Resize.JPG

P1030602Resize.JPG
P1030624Resize.JPG
P1030627Resize.JPG

It’s great to get out again, and seeing these beauties really made our day.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Those Peacocks don't appear to have suffered one bit from probably having been tucked up in the dark somewhere since July. Splendid insects!

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Great way to herald the new season, Mike. I know what you mean regarding Brimstones being constantly on the move though... :evil:

You should have put a warning on that second Peacock image however - I had to reach for my sunglasses! :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to see you out of hibernation as well, Mike.
Lovely shots as always. Great Peacock images.

All the best,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great shots, especially the Peacocks, still awaiting to find one of those. I don't think this site has ever been this busy so early in the year :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Dave, David, Trevor and Bugboy for your comments :)

A female Brimstone paused just long enough for a photo in our garden this afternoon.

P1030644.jpgAResize.JPG

Males were seen just passing through, both yesterday and today, probably looking for this female :wink: Two Peacocks were also seen spiralling upwards locked in combat.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Peacock shots Mike :D And that female Brimstone is a great capture particularly at this time of year :D :mrgreen: Fingers crossed the promised 'spring weather' continues...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice image, Mike. If only the males were as co-operative!

It's always nice when they settle on blue flowers....usually I see them on primroses or dandelions where the effect isn't quite the same.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Wurzel, it looks like it may cool down a bit next week :(

It was nice to see the Brimstone on the Grape Hyacinths, David, Bluebells would also be good.

Having been incapacitated by an evil bug over the last over the last few days, I have been unable to get out and make the most of the recent spell of warm weather.
During this period however,on 29th March, one of the two Orange-tips which we ‘rescued’ as cats from our garden last June, decided that it was time to emerge (we had loads of cats on our Garlic Mustard, but most were predated) giving me some respite my malaise :D

22 1/2 hours before emergence.
22 1/2 hours before emergence.
10 minutes after emergence.
10 minutes after emergence.
Wings hardening, 26 mins after emergence.
Wings hardening, 26 mins after emergence.
Open wings just before taking flight,40 mins after emergence.
Open wings just before taking flight,40 mins after emergence.

She left it a bit late in the day emerging at 3.45pm, as I’ve found in that they tend to emerge in the morning. However she was lucky, as the sun was still warm enough for her to take flight, forty minutes after emerging.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Beautiful sequence Mike. When you have a bad bug, a nice bug can be good therapy!.

Get well soon,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”