Marbled White - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

So we’ve reached the half way point – time is flying by which is great because that means that we’re that much closer to being able to start collecting images for the 2019 Faves. :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
KeithS

Re: Marbled White - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by KeithS »

From Ranscombe Farm in Kent, June 26th. It was a good year for Marbled Whites at Ranscombe
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Although they were around in decent numbers at the start of their emergence, blink and you'd have missed them, within a couple of weeks they seemed to have vanished in the style of a Black Hairstreak! I was chuffed to discover this freshly emerged specimen, still drying its wings on Box Hill.
Marbled White male, Box Hill.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm always pleased to see the Marble White, it's one of my favourite Butterflies so I was delighted to catch sight of a mating pair at Temple Ewell Kent on the 11th of July also one which landed just in front of me, the weather was so hot that day but these Butterflies were enjoying it :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_a3d9.jpeg
IMG_2365.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another species that emerged and disappeared in a remarkably short time this year, at least around my local spots where numbers were definitely down on last year.
Marbled White - Castle Hills 23.06.2018
Marbled White - Castle Hills 23.06.2018
Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

As others have remarked, this species appeared to have a really short season this year, running mid-June to mid-July. The emergence on Burford Spur at Box Hill seemed as strong as ever, but they appeared all at once around 14th June: there were none on 13th and good numbers two days later, competing as ever with the DGF for the best knapweed flowers.
DGF+MW 150618.JPG
MW5 150618.JPG
Dave
John W

Post by John W »

This is one of my favourite species, and very photogenic as long as you don't try chasing them on a hot summer's day!

The first photo was taken as it settled down to roost on a magical Midsummer's Day evening:
mw - 1 (1).jpg
Madgeland Wood, June 21 2018, 7.46pm

and the second warming up in the early morning of another scorching day at Daneway Banks:
mw - 2.jpg
Daneway Banks, June 26th 2018, 6.40am

Cheers
John W
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

My photo was taken in a relative's 'wild garden' in Somerset. We were pleased to find that the Marbled Whites had just emerged, in time for her Birthday party!
Sutton Montis, Somerset - 23rd June 2018<br />Olympus E-M1-ii with 40-150mm lens - 1/800s@f/9 ISO 640
Sutton Montis, Somerset - 23rd June 2018
Olympus E-M1-ii with 40-150mm lens - 1/800s@f/9 ISO 640
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

I just squeezed UK Marbled Whites in prior to leaving for the French Alps (where I saw thousands, as usual).

This one was taken at Whiteford Burrows, on the NW Gower coast, on 24th June:
01MarbWhite(1).jpg
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

There's a very strong population of Marbled White at my local patch, Kiplingcotes Chalk Pit, which I almost entirely missed this year through being away (down south) at the wrong time. However, I made a special trip to Kip on the evening of 22nd June, before I travelled, in the hope of seeing the first few individuals, and I was not disappointed!
IMG_8268.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Marbled White

This one had to be my favourite Marbled White as it reminded me that it’s important to stop every now and again and let the world carry on with its madness around you. It was perfectly demonstrated by the butterfly in this shot. Whilst its two compadres were going at it hell for leather this blissed out butterfly was just chilling and sniffing the flowers; well almost, it was more feeding then sniffing but that doesn’t serve as such a good metaphor…
DSC_0327 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Marbled White”