Greenwings: Montes Universales, Spain, 28 July - 4 August 2018

selbypaul

Re: Montes Universales, Spain, 28 July - 4 August 2018

Post by selbypaul »

David M wrote: I've put myself about a bit but I was unprepared for what I saw here. I really couldn't believe what unfolded before my eyes. I'm used to France and its vagaries but this was different.....thousands of butterflies in a small area with many rare ones and a handful of endemics. It was something of a wake-up call to realise that there are a few areas in Europe where these phenomena are still a routine occurrence.
That's really interesting David. Did someone tip you off about this area of Spain? Because until I saw your trip report on here, I'd never even heard of this area mentioned in butterfly circles before?

What other areas in Europe do you think might also be "unexpected" areas of super butterflying?
David M

Post by David M »

selbypaul wrote:
That's really interesting David. Did someone tip you off about this area of Spain? Because until I saw your trip report on here, I'd never even heard of this area mentioned in butterfly circles before?

What other areas in Europe do you think might also be "unexpected" areas of super butterflying?
The BCE Chair, Simon Spencer, visited the region in 2013 so the bulk of the site information was his. Spain is an interesting country for butterflies, and I suppose it's a 'perfect storm' of reasons why this area is so unusual - latitude, altitude, terrain, habitat, etc....

You can drive from one site to the next and see only a few Whites and Clouded Yellows by the roadside, but when you hit a damp, green area it's quite astounding to find literally thousands of butterflies. I suppose they have no choice but to frequent these oases as the wider landscape is relatively bereft of anything of interest to them.

There may well be other areas like this in Spain itself, for instance the Sistema Centrale to the west of Madrid or the mountains of Andalucia in the south. These places will be largely dry and arid just like the Montes Universales, but given the relief there will inevitably be green areas adjacent to rivers that flow year round. These will harbour foodplants and, of course, lots of butterflies.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Thanks David, that makes sense
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

It has a long history of visiting entomologists:

https://archive.org/details/entomologis ... t/page/274
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote:It has a long history of visiting entomologists:

Thanks for this, Matsukaze.

You do seem to have the knack for unearthing the most interesting online resources.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Very interesting reading David. I’ve come to it a little late in the day, but thoroughly enjoyed reading your notes and thoughts. I have yet to visit Spain with butterflies in mind - something I will surely have to rectify in the near future - inspiring stuff.
David M

Post by David M »

Benjamin wrote:Very interesting reading David. I’ve come to it a little late in the day, but thoroughly enjoyed reading your notes and thoughts. I have yet to visit Spain with butterflies in mind - something I will surely have to rectify in the near future - inspiring stuff.
Thanks, Benjamin. I've tended to concentrate on France in recent years, but this trip opened my eyes into just how 'different' Spain is from most of the rest of Europe. I fully intend to spend more time here during the next few years and would recommend anyone to do likewise.
selbypaul

Re: Greenwings: Montes Universales, Spain, 28 July - 4 August 2018

Post by selbypaul »

The good news David is that the 2019 holiday now has a guaranteed departure!
David M

Re: Greenwings: Montes Universales, Spain, 28 July - 4 August 2018

Post by David M »

Yes, Paul. As soon as four people have paid deposits the trip will run.

I guess we'll have a full complement come July like this year.
Pieter Vantieghem

Post by Pieter Vantieghem »

Matsukaze wrote:It has a long history of visiting entomologists:

Even Nabokov visited the area in the 1940's. Everyone with large interest in European butterflies should visit that region at least once!

Return to “Trip Reports”