Comma - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 3

Things have been a fair bit cooler this weekend but luckily the Favorite Photo Thread is up and running so you can maintain your butterfly fix :D Don't panic if you post your favourite for this species only to find another in the coming days/weeks which surpassed your original choice, feel free to post one now and another later. :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Re: Comma - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by MikeOxon »

I had a memorable morning at Bucknell Wood, near Silverstone, on 3rd July, when It was very warm and sunny. It was one of those days when the edges of the rides and open areas seemed to be alive with clouds of butterflies! My objective was the Silver-washed Fritillary but my photo of those will have to wait until later in this Winter series.

I am pleased with this shot of a Comma, which seems to have captured much of the character of this butterfly - the cryptic underside, 'ragged' profile and, of course, the 'comma' mark.
Bucknell Wood, Northants - 3rd July 2018<br />Olympus E-M1 Mk.ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/1600s@f/8 ISO 640
Bucknell Wood, Northants - 3rd July 2018
Olympus E-M1 Mk.ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/1600s@f/8 ISO 640
Mike
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I was looking for caterpillars amongst the sallow catkins when this Comma landed next to me.
Dsc03616.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was in Blean Woods Kent when I saw this Comma suddenly land , it made us laugh so much, it's been a favourite ever since,
21st July Kent.Goldie :)
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_a171.jpeg
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Hard to choose between several nice encounters with Commas this year, but I think my favourite is this, taken at Yorkshire Wildlife Trust's Skerne Wetlands only last month (29th Sept). With its autumn colours and red berries, I have it earmarked as the December page of my calendar for next year, and possibly for future Christmas cards!
IMG_4706.CR2.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I always end up with loads of Comma images, I can never resist them. I think it stems back to my childhood butterfly chasing days when the Comma was the least common of the adult hibernators to be found where I grew up, so the one I used to get most excited about seeing in the spring.
This first one was one was the first of the season and was also an opportunity to test out my new zoom lens on butterflies, finding it to be very useful :)
Comma, North Stoke.JPG
This second, a hutchinsoni female who played hide and seek with me on Chobham Common gets a vote from me, I love the shadow filling in the missing parts
Comma female f. hutchinsoni, Chobham Common.JPG
and finally a selection of undersides to show the variety of patterning including a couple of abs. top left i-album and an O-album bottom right.
Comma undersides.JPG
Last edited by bugboy on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

On my patch, this species had a good spring but a woeful late season. :(

This fresh individual, seen at the Pembrokeshire Brown Hairstreak site, on 25th August was, I think, the latest one I've seen in 2018:
1.Comma(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Good numbers of post hibernating Commas flying around my local patch in the Spring, always a favourite sight to see these on spring blossom :D
Comma - Bickenhill 05.04.2018
Also plenty about in high summer...
Comma - Wagon Lane Solihull 04.07.2018
Comma - Wagon Lane Solihull 04.07.2018
Comma - Bickenhill 21.07.2018
Comma - Bickenhill 21.07.2018
But, along with all the hibernating vanessids, very thin on the ground later in the year...a bit worrying for next spring, maybe they hibernated early, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Cheers,

Neil.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Here is a Comma from the south of France in mid June.
This year I had sightings throughout the season.
c-album19 LaTaurelle_83 16Jun18.JPG
Chris
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Comma

This was taken at the tail end of August at Shipton Bellinger. It was looking like I was going to bomb out on Brostreaks due to the Dog Show so this shot was heading towards the favourite shot of the day purely as it wold have been a consolation prize. However it swiftly became my favourite as it had a lovely set of gun grey studs along the margins of the wings; something I’ve never seen before. It looked like a Blue Badger Comma.
DSC_0076 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wurzel wrote:Comma

This was taken at the tail end of August at Shipton Bellinger. It was looking like I was going to bomb out on Brostreaks due to the Dog Show so this shot was heading towards the favourite shot of the day purely as it wold have been a consolation prize. However it swiftly became my favourite as it had a lovely set of gun grey studs along the margins of the wings; something I’ve never seen before. It looked like a Blue Badger Comma.

DSC_0076 - Copy-001.JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Those grey studs make it look reminiscent to the Asian Comma Polygonia c-aureum. Must be something latent in the genetic makeup that pops up every now and again.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
KeithS

Post by KeithS »

Possibly the most common Vanessid around these parts this year, but my best shot was from Ranscombe Farm, Cuxton, on 23rd June...

dave,b,james

Post by dave,b,james »

My favourite Comma photo has to be this one taken during the summer at Hartwell Pocket Park in Northants. I'd gone there to check the Elms for White-letter Hairstreaks but unfortunately couldn't find any. This Comma did provide a nice distraction though.
Comma forum.jpg

Return to “Comma”