Georgia, Europe IDs

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
AJSteele

Georgia, Europe IDs

Post by AJSteele »

Was in Georgia (west side) for a birding hoilday in september found a few butterflies which i am not sure of if any has any ideal would be much appreciated.
Attachments
3.JPG
Georgia#20271.JPG
Just a normal Clouded Yellow?
Just a normal Clouded Yellow?
Georgia#20646.JPG
Georgia#20645.JPG
Georgia#20648.JPG
Last edited by AJSteele on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJSteele

Re: Georgia, Europe IDs

Post by AJSteele »

A mix of Fritillaries I think the first ones are Silver washed but the green under the wing has made me unsure
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
large_Georgia_20683.JPG
large_Georgia_20676.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Hi, AJ. Your Frits are Silver Washed and High Brown. The Blues are trickier and I'll defer on the female.

#2 could well be Idas or Silver Studded, and your Pierid looks like 'normal' Clouded yellow.
Pieter Vantieghem

Post by Pieter Vantieghem »

Hi,
I was in Georgia last summer to search for butterflies and it is a very challenging country to do so. It would help a bit if you could tell more or less at what location/height you made these observations.
Your blues are in my opinion Lysandra corydonius, which replaces Chalkhill blue Lysandra coridonin Transcaucasia (although I would see an underside picture from the female to be sure on that one). It looks a bit as a crossing between adonis blue & chalkhill blue. Except your second picture, that is a fresh male Short-tailed Blue Cupido argiades.
The Pieris indeed is a normal clouded yellow Colias crocea and I second David on the fritillaries.
cheers
Pieter
AJSteele

Post by AJSteele »

Thanks for the reply the bottoms blues and the top one were taken at roughly the same spot 43.040N 42.501E E at a height of 1386.4 according to my photo data. 2nd Top Blue was taken at 41 36.30 N 41 34.70 E 11.1 height .I am afraid did't get many images as this was just a quick stop thanks for the help,

Andrew

Return to “Identification”