Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Wurzel wrote:Even more stunning shots James and that Purple Hairstreak is a real stand out image - it's an immaculate shot :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel, the Purple Hairstreak was spotted by my good friend Badgerbob. I was lucky to grab a couple of shots before he flew. :D
David M wrote:Absolutely glorious, James. What a great selection. Much as I love all the butterflies it’s that image of the Bee Orchid that stands out. More please!
Bee Orchids are fantastic aren’t they :D another delight from a very notable summer.
Goldie M wrote:Hi! James , my favourite shot's have got to be the second shot of the DGF and the Purple HS shot :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Hello Goldie :D to be honest I’m not sure which one I was more lucky with! I don’t usually see immaculate Purple Hairstreaks or DGF’S sitting still for more than a couple of seconds, I think I’ll call it a tie.
Andrew555 wrote:Beautiful sights and shots James. :mrgreen: :D
Most kind of you Andrew, I really did see some wonderful sights this year.
Neil Freeman wrote:More beautiful images James :D

I love the two Dark Green Fritillary photos, both equal favourites in different ways :D

Superb stuff,

Neil.
Hello Neil, :D thank you for the compliment, I usually find Dark Green Fritillaries so difficult, I was so pleased to get some photos. A rare occurrence indeed. I enjoyed your report from Dorset, I lived there for a while many years ago, it brought back some lovely memories. :D

I really appreciate the kind comments, thanks all.

Best wishes,

James

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Summer 2018 pt 3

Thanks for looking,

James.
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Great Silver-washed, James, especially that valezina - and the White Admirals are beautifully undamaged new individuals. Not easy to find in that state! :)

Cheers,

Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Real quality images in your recent posts, James. That lovely valezina is simply stunning :D

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the shots of the Valezina :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've only seen one once and she was at the base of a large Oak, so my shots weren't so good :roll: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely stunning Valesina Rex, the underside is fantastic :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The White Admiral is a cracker as well, they're fantastic looking when fresh :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

What beautiful, mint-fresh butterflies you have presented there, James. The valezina is particularly impressive.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm very much enjoying your retrospective look at the year James, you came across some fabulous individuals!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Butterflysaurus rex

millerd wrote:Great Silver-washed, James, especially that valezina - and the White Admirals are beautifully undamaged new individuals. Not easy to find in that state! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Thanks Dave, I spent many hours in the woods trying to find fresh ones this year, not particularly easy in the very hot weather we had this summer, thankfully a couple settled just long enough!
Maximus wrote:Real quality images in your recent posts, James. That lovely valezina is simply stunning :D

Mike
Many thanks Mike, I was very lucky with the Valezina they don't really like the heat so I was very surprised to find one feeding in such sweltering conditions! She didn't hang around for long - soon retreating into canopy of a nearby Oak.
Goldie M wrote:Love the shots of the Valezina :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've only seen one once and she was at the base of a large Oak, so my shots weren't so good :roll: Goldie :D
You're most kind Goldie, yes Valezina SWF can be very tricky to photograph as in general they seem to dislike hot sunshine, they definitely favour the shade on sunny days, I can only imagine the poor thing was desperate to feed and went against type.
Wurzel wrote:Absolutely stunning Valesina Rex, the underside is fantastic :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The White Admiral is a cracker as well, they're fantastic looking when fresh :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Hello Wurzel, thanks I seem to see Valezina SWF in my local woods every year, after getting a decent open wing shot last year I was really hoping to get a nice underside. My hopes were definitely surpassed on this occasion, it was so hot that I didn't think that I stood a chance but there she was - like magic. Quite unforgettable!!
David M wrote:What beautiful, mint-fresh butterflies you have presented there, James. The valezina is particularly impressive.
Many thanks David, I tried really hard to get some photos of fresh White Admirals this year, as you know getting photos of a White Admiral can be difficult at the best of times so I definitely enjoyed some good luck!
bugboy wrote:I'm very much enjoying your retrospective look at the year James, you came across some fabulous individuals!
Cheers Paul, it's a shame our paths didn't cross this year. Maybe next year - we must be due another LTB year soon! I made an extra effort to go early and track down some freshly emerged species this year. It meant a lot of waiting around but we had good numbers locally and that helped me out a great deal. Hopefully next year will be great as well.

Many thanks to you all for commenting.

Best wishes,

James

Butterflysaurus rex

Summer 2018 part 4

Thanks for looking.

James.
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterflies photos James, you've had quite a good year :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

These images are portrait quality, James. You sure have perfected your art this year. Lovely.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful images Rex, those Small Coppers mating are to die for, I'd love to have shots like that in my collection :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Goldie M wrote:Lovely Butterflies photos James, you've had quite a good year :D Goldie :D
You’re very kind Goldie :D yes I did have some nice moments this year. It was a bit too hot for me at times so I didn’t get out as much as I would have liked. No complaints on the butterfly front though.
David M wrote:These images are portrait quality, James. You sure have perfected your art this year. Lovely.
Hi David, I’m try to get a little bit better every year. I’ve had more keepers than usual this year - but that could simply be down to a very good butterfly year.
Wurzel wrote:Beautiful images Rex, those Small Coppers mating are to die for, I'd love to have shots like that in my collection :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Really nice of you to say that Wurzel. I know you’ll get a shot like that ‘or better’ before long, after all these years I finally got a few shots of mating Coppers that I’m pleased with. If it can happen to me it can happen to anyone else.

Thanks again for your comments.

Best wishes,

James

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Absolute crackers James. I especially love the SWF's and White Admirals. :mrgreen: :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Andrew555 wrote:Absolute crackers James. I especially love the SWF's and White Admirals. :mrgreen: :D
Most kind of you Andrew, I hope we both see lots of these next summer.

Summer 2018 part 5

Thanks for looking,

James.
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm going to run out of complimentary phrases at this rate Rex :shock: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: All are mighty stunning but the Silver-spot face-on :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I want to take it home and hug it, and squeeze it, and hug it some more :D :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Those Brown Hairstreak images are to die for, James! Well done too on capturing the Graylings in cop...not a particularly common sight.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Rex, How do you do it!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I love that Shipper shot that Wurzel's pointed out too, you may not get out too much but when you do WOW!!! Goldie :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:I'm going to run out of complimentary phrases at this rate Rex :shock: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: All are mighty stunning but the Silver-spot face-on :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I want to take it home and hug it, and squeeze it, and hug it some more :D :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
I know how you feel about that Silver-spotted Skipper Wurzel, even though you might get some strange looks, and people will talk - let them I say! They are only jealous. :wink:
David M wrote:Those Brown Hairstreak images are to die for, James! Well done too on capturing the Graylings in cop...not a particularly common sight.
I’ve waited many a long year to photograph an ‘open wing’ Brown Hairstreak in perfect condition David. Having to travel made achieving it a little difficult. I usually only get a few opportunities per year. Thankfully we had a really good year for Brownies so I finally achieved my ambition. This was the first time I’ve seen a mating pair of Grayling! I was thrilled to get a nice shot. I’ve been hoping to see this for many many years, so this was very notable occasion for me.
Goldie M wrote:Fantastic shots Rex, How do you do it!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I love that Shipper shot that Wurzel's pointed out too, you may not get out too much but when you do WOW!!! Goldie :D
Hmm how do I do it..... well there’s usually quite a lot of cursing, pulling my hair out, stifled cries of anguish, and I’ve even been known to fall over. But sometimes I get lucky and avoid completely messing it up. :D I suppose I get out about 3-4 times a week if I’m lucky. This year when the temperature was around 30c I either went out early or not at all. Of course the weather was mainly good for our Butterflies and that helped me out no end.

Thank you all so much for your kind comments, I only wish I had enough time to reciprocate in your fabulous diaries over the year.

Best wishes,

James

Return to “Personal Diaries”