ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel - It wouldn't surprise me if that Fly Agaric was deformed for some reason. Its not the first time I have seen mushrooms in the wild not performing to standard and it won't be the last.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Broxhead - 25th Sep 2018

Here again as it’s probably the best location near me at this time of year. As per yesterday there was a bundle of Small Coppers, 3 Brown Argus and 2 Speckled Wood, plus a White of some kind flew by fleetingly. I saw three Small Coppers up by the lay-by where so far this year I have only found a singleton. That means I can increase my annual count by two to a 190 personal record and a location record at Broxhead to 77.
P1020999.JPG
P1020985.JPG
Non-butterfly Snapshots of the day.

If you remember a couple of days ago a made a special effort to find the Ivy Bee nesting colony at Noar Hill and was successful. Today quite by accident I came across another colony of bees at Broxhead which to my untrained eye looked exactly like Ivy Bees. They behaved in the same way, nested in the same fashion but they were nectaring from heather – not ivy.
Heather Bee (11).JPG
I get back home and look them up and what do I find? The Ivy Bee has a close relative called the Heather Bee! This was obviously a colony of Heather Bees.

Also a nice Kestrel, perching and hawking over the heath like a Hobby!
P1030042.JPG
And this mushroom partially hidden under mixed birch, oak and gorse. It is one of the Brittlegill family but this one does not have brittle gills! I always default Brittlegills of this colour to the Charcoal Burner because it is so widespread and common. Even though the cap colours can vary quite dramatically they usually have a tint of violet about them. Apparently it gets its common name from the colours created by a charcoal flame. Never having seen the colours of a charcoal flame I could not comment.
P1020992.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Well its nearing the end of the butterfly season so I thought I'd update my Hampshire butterfly spreadsheet.

Here it is. If you live close or are ever visiting this way I hope you find it useful.
Hants butterfly location grid.xls
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Kingsley Common - 26th Sep 2018

My annual count of Small Coppers was getting dangerously close to that milestone 200. I wondered if I could reach it, so today I visited all those parts of Kingsley Common where I have seen them in past years but so far had not seen them at all this year. I found 9 in all which brought my annual total up to 199. Blast – I was one away.

I then remembered that in the Small Copper boom year of 2016, there were three flying at Shortheath Common at the end closest to the village of Oakhanger and I had not been back there since. So…

Shortheath Common – same day

I saw four more, bringing my annual total to 203.
P1030067.JPG
P1030051.JPG
One had some nice big blobs on its wings.
Big Blobs.JPG
Frensham Common (Little Pond area) – same day

And then in the afternoon I managed to squeeze 2 more out of Frensham bringing the total to 205!

Non-butterfly Snapshots of the day

From Kingsley Common, two fungi, both common and widespread.
Bay Bolete
Bay Bolete
Common Earthball
Common Earthball

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on breaking the 200 mark Ernie :D Some nicely marked ones there in the mix :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Things looking quite autumnal now in your images, ernie. Perhaps we only have this burst of fine weather left before all we're left with are the adult hibernators?

I'm glad you surpassed your Copper milestone. I've a feeling there'll be room for a few more before they disappear.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel, David - Thanks for the congrats re the Copper Milestone and David you were right in your forecast. I found some more today!

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I am nearing the end of my planned posts to this forum this year so its time to recap my findings regarding wing-rolling.

I'll add it as an attachment here but also under the topic under "general".
wing roll summary 27th Sep 2018.docx
(15.16 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Binswood - 27th Sep 2018

I had not visited this location since my spate of almost daily visits when the Puple Hairstreaks were flying. I remembered I saw a few Small Coppers on the path beside the meadow then, so on the off-chance I went again specifically for Small Coppers. I had never done this at this location at this time of year before.

I found 5, all reasonably fresh.

Great – my record annual count has now become 210.

But something struck me as a little odd. I looked around and I could not see a single, solitory plant in flower. No ragwort, no autumn hawkbit, no dandelion, no scabious, yarrow or daisy, no last remaining thistle hanging on. No shrubs with flowers, only berries out now. So no opportunity to get nectar at all that I could see. Can adults survive on sunshine alone for a short while? Perhaps they resort to insect honeydew? There were cows on the meadow and consequently cow-pats were fresh but come to think of it I am not sure I have ever seen a Small Copper come down to one, although rabbit poo may have been an attraction to a few I have seen in the past.

Anyone have any ideas?
P1030083.JPG
Shortheath Common – same day

As it was just around the corner I did a quick visit to the Small Copper lek at Shortheath and found only two Small Coppers but I cannot add these to my count for fear of double-counting ones I had seen here already recently. But they were definitely in decline here.

Non-butterfly Snapshots of the day

I only saw today some fungi that I have already posted and this being a butterfly website I can get away with posting lots of pictures of the same species of butterfly every day but not of mushrooms.

I like to put something under this heading every post I make so today I thought that since I will be stopping my posts at the end of September, that will not give me the opportunity to share pictures of some of the wonderful fungi I have found growing around here in October and November. Now I have literally hundreds of pictures of over 100 species of fungi in my collection so I am going to focus down on my favourite family, the Waxcaps, and its best location near me, Kingsley Victorian Churchyard. All these that follow can be found growing in the short-cropped grass in an area no greater than 50 paces square. The same location in fact as the Scarlet Caterpillarclub I described in a recent post.
Golden Waxcap
Golden Waxcap
Scarlet Waxcap
Scarlet Waxcap
Blackening Waxcap
Blackening Waxcap
Snowy Waxcap
Snowy Waxcap
Parrot Waxcap
Parrot Waxcap
Crimson Waxcap
Crimson Waxcap

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Just a quick entry. I actually saw a Brimstone today. Nothing remarkable about that perhaps, except I looked back through my records and found that the last time I saw one was on Aug 2nd.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Noar Hill - 28th Sep 2018

My last visit here this year I think. I didn't expect much but it was warm and sunny. I saw a total of three butterflies and all of them in one of the centre pits on a sheltered bank. Two Small Heath and one Small Copper. The latter counts toward my annual total which is now 211. Both Small Heaths on occasion held their wings slightly ajar.
P1030137.JPG
P1030131.JPG
Small Heath - wings slightly parted.JPG
Small Heath - wings slightly parted 2.JPG
Non-butterfly Snapshot of the Day

Its difficult to keep this slot going right at the end so now I am resorting to breaking all my rules. This is not at Noar Hill, its at Farlington Marsh and its not this year but it is within the last 12 months.

People have been posting about falcons and owls recently to I thought I'd share this. When it happened it bowled me over. I still have goose-bumps thinking about it now.

A wild Short-eared Owl in flight close to me and I just happened to have my camera out and set at the time.
Short-eared Owl  (1).JPG
And then two on the ground.
Short-eared Owl  (7).jpg

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Short-tailed Owls Ernie :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And I love the Parrot Waxcap, what a brilliantly coloured fungus :D :mrgreen: I've been trapped in all week so your PD is one of those that has helped me get to the weekend cheers! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Thanks, Wurzel. I'm glad to help. Now its Saturday and sunny I hope you are able to get out. There can't be many more butterflying opportunities this year now, sadly.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

My penultimate post for 2018

Broxhead (Anvil End) - 29th Sep 2018

I was last at this part of the Broxhead Reserve on 2nd Sep. Today I saw 4 Small Coppers, 2 of which I can be confident I had not seen before because they were on sections of the walk I had seen none this year.

This pushes up my total this year at Broxhead to 79 and my overall total this year to 213.
P1030148.JPG
P1030154.JPG
Non-butterfly Snapshots of the year.

As the butterflies decline and the mushrooms increase I thought I’d show a few more fungi I have seen in the past near me. They might not move about quite as much as butterflies or have such interesting behaviours but they can be worth searching for even if you don’t intend to eat them. I am always astonished by the colours and variety you can find.
Yellow Stagshorn (even though it is usually orange)
Yellow Stagshorn (even though it is usually orange)
Golden Chanterelle
Golden Chanterelle
Wrinkled Club (this one contorted like a statue)
Wrinkled Club (this one contorted like a statue)
Trooping Funnel (actually doing some trooping)
Trooping Funnel (actually doing some trooping)
Saffron Milkcap
Saffron Milkcap
Yellowleg Bonnet
Yellowleg Bonnet
Beefsteak Bracket
Beefsteak Bracket
Common Earthstar (this one I found in my garden)
Common Earthstar (this one I found in my garden)
Earthtongue (yet another from Kingsley churchyard)
Earthtongue (yet another from Kingsley churchyard)
Deceiver
Deceiver
Jelly Rot (looking a bit like Bryce Canyon -USA)
Jelly Rot (looking a bit like Bryce Canyon -USA)
Rosy Bonnet
Rosy Bonnet
Wood Cauliflower
Wood Cauliflower
Woolly Milkcap (this is the woolliest one I have found)
Woolly Milkcap (this is the woolliest one I have found)
Yellow Brain
Yellow Brain
Candlesnuff
Candlesnuff
Stinkhorn (the rudest of all fungi)
Stinkhorn (the rudest of all fungi)

Ernie F
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! ernie, love your Owl shots, how lucky can you get :D
You've got some great Fungus shots as well , love the colours, I've never seen some of them before, fantastic :D
You've no need to switch off posting ernie, come the cold weather lots of us post other pics that keep us going, plus Wurzel does a post in which you can post your favourite shot starting with A for Adonis , you might fancy doing that.Goldie :D

jenks

Post by jenks »

Fantastic photos, Ernie, and what a collection of fungi !

I remember reading somewhere that when a guide to British fungi was being compiled in the late 19th century the publishers refused to print the picture of Stinkhorn, the reasoning being that it would offend sensitive members of Victorian society (too phallic) !

Jenks.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Goldie - thanks for the info regarding what you lot get up to in winter. I shall not go completely to sleep and hibernate until Spring then. I shall merely slumber and poke my head up above the parapet from time to time.

Jenks - I believe it about the Victorians. I once read they covered their piano legs with material for much the same reason (?!?) Of course that may be a modern story poking fun at their mis-placed sensitivities.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Just to round-off the Stinkhorn thing. As you are probably aware - it stinks. In fact you can know one is around by its smell of rotting flesh before you ever see it.

It seems to start off when freshly fruiting with a smelly goo on top which attracts flies.
Impudicus - Stinkhorn (3).JPG
After a while the goo goes and you get a grey, pimply top. The pic I showed already.
Impudicus - Stinkhorn (2).JPG
And as it ages it goes white, loses its smell, kind of evaporates from the inside leaving a gauzy husk, amazingly light to the touch. I don't know if you know what a gas mantle looks and feels like but its just like this.
Impudicus - Stinkhorn (4).JPG
And then there is its rarer cousin, the Dog Stinkhorn. I have only ever seen this once.
Caninus - Dog Stinkhorn.JPG

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some amazing fungi again Ernie - I need to have a sit down with your PD and my fungi photo collection over the winter months and start naming my shots using your excellent 'reference library' :D No luck getting out today, fingers crossed for tomorrow :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Love your Short Eared Owls, Ernie.
I've never seen one, but a couple of years ago I was woken up by a loud, strange, Owl call.
Five or six rapid hoots at a time. I found some Owl call recordings on the net, and the Short
Eared Owl was on the recording.
The Bird was calling from a large Oak at the bottom of my garden. ( Spooky in the dead of night ! ).

All the best,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”