David Simcox interview

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

David Simcox interview

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi all,

I'll be meeting up with, and interviewing, David Simcox in June (when the Large Blues are out!) and would like to know what questions you'd like me to put to him. For those of you that don't know David - he worked alongside Jeremy Thomas in driving the reintroduction of the Large Blue in the UK which is widely-recognised as a resounding success (although, as many of us know, it's actually a different subspecies!).

Thanks.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Paul

Re: David Simcox interview

Post by Paul »

Hi,

Ask him if they can get a similar thing going with the Mazarine!!! Also, is the Large Blue considered "safe" yet??? :D
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

I can't think of any questions but having seen LB a few time sjust say a really big Thank you for introducing this sub species and giving us back the Large Blue experience!
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Interview now written up, and posted at:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/reports_davidsimcox.php

Cheers,

- Pete
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

When I was about 12, a teacher at my school, who was a retired colonel, found out that I was interested in butterflies and told me that he had a huge collection that his father and brothers had made just before the Second World War, and that it was in a terrible mess and housed in many cabinets. He wondered if I would like to help sort the collection out – and so I did that for about 2 years. I used to go for a day, every weekend...
and
I got to meet a lot of the "old collectors" such as Baron de Worms, Robert Watson, L. Hugh Newman and Donald Russwurm...
Now who today would dare invite a 12 year old boy into his house to look at a collection of butterflies (photos being today's equivalent)? It would immediately rouse suspicions about the motives of the adult and is just not possible in today's climate of suspicion. The youngsters of today are the losers because of the frenzy stirred up by the media about paedophiles. I could give one example. At Fermyn on Sunday, there was one young lad of about 8 to 10 years old with an ENORMOUS SLR (handed-down I guess). I was delighted to see younger generation might share our interests. I spoke to him but only because he was with his Dad. I wouldn't have dared say a word if he had not been with a parent. Isn't that sad?

I could get very political here but the fear that adults have of interacting with children must have a seriously detrimental effect. When I was young (55+ years ago), I would respect ANY adult who told me off if I stepped out of line - it didn't have to be a parent. Now of course, no-one dare say a word. So we have knife culture, etc, etc.

Ah well. As we get older, we all hanker after the good old days. (At least, Purple Emperors seem to be doing better than they were half a century ago!)

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
I couldn't agree more with you - and it's very sad. If I'm out photographing or obviously looking at something of interest, children are immediately inquisitive and want to know 'whats there?'. These days I feel it necessary to engage the parent and hand over a BC 'I.D.' card, before I get too involved in giving a mini, impromptu natural history lesson. If I do this, then parents are very happy (and eventually delighted) when their youngsters sit and become enthralled (often until they are dragged away because it's now teatime), firing questions thick and fast. If I don't, they are often 'barked at' to 'come away'. As you point out, I'm afraid this is very much a media-driven climate of fear that we live in. The statistics clearly show no significantly increased risk (of the type you allude to) to children over many, many decades. I remember reading that in a survey of parental believes a vast, overwhelmingly high percentage of them were just plain wrong in their perception of the problem. But this sort of interaction is precisely how the future guardians of butterflies, and the wider countryside, are born. In the last few weeks I've spent time with school parties, at Guide camps and manning stalls at large public events, and a large proportion of kids just soak this sort of 'creepy-crawly' information up like sponges. We've created a huge 'vacuum' which I fear may never again be filled. The lucky children are those with parents who have a keen interest to pass on (and those rarer schools that 'go the extra mile'). A sanitised, over-protected, risk-averse, computer-obsessed upbringing - or the one I was blessed with? Probably the most rhetorical question I've ever asked! Blimey, I think I've become middle aged at last! :lol:
Neil
Annie

Post by Annie »

That is a really interesting interview.

Neil and Jack - I agree with you about talking to kids "in the field" - even I, as a young :lol: woman, am wary of speaking to nippers. The fact is that some kids just love to chat, especially when they've found something they've never seen before (ie butterflies, flowers, belachan on the sole of daddy's shoe) and it almost seems rude not to chat back

When I was small I'd talk to anyone. It worked out nicely, because I'll still talk to anyone today - and it doesn't half help in finding and id'ing species if you're not afraid to ask for help!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Great interview Pete, just a bit miffed that I never got a mention for sticking up for the project, when RogerDodge, Felix and others were knocking it. :lol:

Gruditch
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Oh - come on Gruditch - not fair. :cry:
I didn't "knock it".
I have visited Collard and Green Down many times, and really enjoyed myself, and the butterflies.
I just have a little nagging feeling that the effort and expenditure may have been better pointed at a less newsworthy but still saveable British butterfly - PBF, Heat Frit, Marsh Frit, that's all.
That does not take away from the fact that it is a spectacular and moving sight to see these fabulous animals in the nature.
The whole team have done a fantastic job in achieving this, and maintaining the habitat mangement that I hope will continue.
I look forward to some of the Cornish and North Devon re-introduction sites being made "open".
Any news on this Pete?

Roger
Cheers

Roger
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

'Fraid not. As David says - there is still much to be done in these landscapes. I assume that the intent is to get several sites established before making one or more open access.

Cheers,

- Pete
Piers

Post by Piers »

Gruditch wrote:Great interview Pete, just a bit miffed that I never got a mention for sticking up for the project, when RogerDodge, Felix and others were knocking it. :lol:

Gruditch
Some people just never get the recognition that they deserve...!! :lol:

Return to “General”