Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wurzel

Post by Padfield »

Lovely pictures from France, Wurzel - especially that mating pair of short-tailed blues. Really good shots.

It's not at all easy to tell heath from meadow fritillary from the underside alone, as both are very variable. A clear view of the underside forewing helps if you can see far down enough - but here you can't.

Guy

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D It definitely did the trick :)
Cheers Guy :D I wasn't sure about that ID though the field guides always seem to make it more obvious than it is as they produce an image of the species 'type' and also don't allow for different light levels, wear and tear, regional variations etc :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Sorry to hear of your loss Wurzel, Butterflies really do take some blues a way though don't they :) Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D They certainly do :)

At this point I need to thank everyone who's read and commented on my PD as today I reached an important milestone. I was hoping to reach 176000 views by the end of the year, as I was born in '76, and today I got there and a couple of months early :D So again thank you one and all :D Anyway back to business...

Broughton Down 22-07-2018

What was supposed to be an entire day butterflying had turned into a trip with L and my wife to Mottisfont with a stop off at Broughton on the way back. This further metamorphosed into a few hours at Broughton and so I set off as soon as I was able reasoning that I needed to get there either before the forecast cloud covered the reserve (so Silver-spots wouldn’t fly) or the un-forecast sun got too strong (and Silver-spots would fly rather too well :? ).

I got out of the car at the lane and as I was putting my boots on scanned across the hedge. A Holly Blue out in an appearance along with the usual smattering of whites and browns; the odd Brimstone adding a bit of va-va-voom to the proceedings. From there it was away up the steep hill which doesn’t get any easier and in fact seems to get longer and steeper each time I visit. Up near the turning I met a couple that seemed a little lost and so I showed them the way that I go to get into the reserve. I second guessed myself in the end as it seemed a little unfamiliar but in the end we got to the middle gate and broke through from the gloom of the Beech trees into the air at the top of the down mid-way along the reserve. I wished them well and said I’d give them a holler if I found any Silver-spots and then set to walking slowly along the main path and the thinner animal tracks. It didn’t take long until I was calling out that there was a Silver-spot. :D
DSC_0093 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0105 - Copy.JPG
After a few more shots were taken we split up again and I set to investigating the trackways again. There was the odd Silver-spot, a few really small Common Blues and even tinier Brown Argus in amongst the ghosts of DGFs-past. I set to making for the shorter turf to the right of where I’d come in. This part of the down sweeps down to the left to the bottom of the site with smalls ditches on either side a bit like a grass motorway. Here there was more of the same and a Silver-spot would zip here and there occasionally put up by an annoying Blue or Meadow Brown and a DGF would ghost across the short turf now and again. Some of these DGFs still had their orange colour whilst some were so faded they appeared almost grey, hence my spectral allusions.
DSC_0118 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0121 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0131 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0136 - Copy.JPG
I worked my way back to where I’d started and settled down near a near circular scar in the turf where I suppose a Bramble had been recently grubbed out. I poured a coffee and started to enjoy my extra hot Lime Chilli Pickle sandwich when a Small Heath put up a Silver-spot that had been siting almost right next to me. My earlier wanderings on the short turf area had let me warm up as it were and so somehow I was able to follow it with my eyes and mentally marked where it alighted. So with camera in one hand, sandwich in the other and the contents of my first bite nicely burning the inside of my cheeks I set forth. It had landed in the fold of a leaf on a small shrub and from my first position it looked like it was all snuggled up in its sleeping bag! It moved forward a little and stood on tip-toes while I got a few more shots and then it was gone.
DSC_0150 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0154 - Copy.JPG
Having reacquainted myself with my coffee and lunch eaten I gathered my things and set off further along the track towards the hump and the small field at the extreme west of the reserve. There were more blues around here and if I’d had more time I would have remained here and set up shot next to the clumps of Hemp Agrimony. Over a very short period I had four species of Whites, Hedge and Meadow Browns, DGF and SWF and Common Blue and Brown Argus visiting just the one stand. I carried on and as I got closer to the small field the Common Blues seemed to be phased out and the Chalkhills phased in. It was down the steep bank and straight up the next side and then the field levelled out. The Chalkhills didn’t stop for love nor money after my first encounter so I tried my luck with the DGFs and they were slightly more obliging. They kept fluttering slowly round in circuits seeming to hone in on a particular point and then they settled down in amongst the grass stems. In amongst all these species flitting about a Smessex and Silver-spot both put in an appearance as well as a Red Admiral.
DSC_0171 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0182 - Copy.JPG
After this I slowly made my way back the way I’d come stopping occasionally; the first time to watch as a Marbled White flew by, the second time to watch a Holly Blue and finally to nail a SWF that had escaped my lens earlier. I met another enthusiast who was yet to see and photograph a Silver-spot and so I showed him the best area and then a Silver-spot too. I found another for him and once he’d gotten his shot I took a look around and realised that everything was flying rapidly, I felt really hot and so it seems that the un-forecast had come to fruition. The sun was shining strongly and the butterflies had gone manic. I ever so slowly made my way back towards the gate, a few steps and stop, a few steps and stop etc. It’s always hard leaving a site and this is the best way I’ve found of achieving it; do a really slow exit and before you realise it you’re on your way back to the car. So it was today and I was in the cool shade under the Beech without it being a wrench or feeling that I’d been robbed of butterflying opportunities.
DSC_0205 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_0216 - Copy.JPG
But the butterflies didn’t stop there. On the final stretch down the hill it seemed that there was a Specklie at every open patch in the tree tunnel and as I was changing my boots a Small Copper landed at the bottom of the hedge but got ‘moved on’ by a passing Common Blue. Fingers crossed Brown Hairstreak next…
DSC_0231 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great Silver Spotted Skippers, particularly the last image ( on the maroon leaf ).
I wonder if there any SSS at Tilshead, all other Skippers are found there.

Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D The species isn't that widespread in Wiltshire and most sightings seem to come form the very edges when some individuals have crept across the border from Dorset and Hampshire. There is a population at Porton apparently but access there is restricted and you have to get permission 6 months in advance :shock: Mind you with butterflies you never know...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Ah, good to see the cutest of skippers again, Wurzel. :) Great shots as ever, and I'd go along with Trevor on the favourite. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D They were only just getting started at this site when I visited, I made a later visit (still to come, probably around November time :roll: :wink: ) and they were all over the place; a veritable shed load :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 25-07-2018

And so the end of the year finally arrived, somehow I’d made it and survived. As we had a half day I decided to take the back way home and use the time to my advantage to try and tick off Brostreak. It may have ended up as just a recce as I’d heard that the Brostreaks weren’t following their usual rule book and the heatwave had them running for the shade and therefore disappearing well before the usual end of the Golden Time at 3:00. Just to be on the safe side I’d also arranged a visit the following day so I wouldn’t be too worried if I didn’t find my quarry and I could at least get the lay of the land and start the change of gears into Holiday Mode.

I pulled off the Bulford/Tidworth road and parked behind the Hotspot Hedge. As soon as I got out of the car I was into the butterflies with various Whites flying by as well as a faded DGF in amongst some blues. I was quite surprised as I thought everything would be hiding away out of the heat. As I rounded the corner and looked down the hedge there was plenty of activity low down with more Whites and Meadow Browns the odd blue and Small Heath as well as a gorgeous fresh Small Copper.
DSC_2735 - Copy.JPG
I carried on further along the hedge seeing more Brimstone and Meadow Browns low down and the occasional Holly Blue up high and while I was scanning along I spied another enthusiast near the other end of the hedge. He was standing stock still with a large lens positioned a few feet away from the bushes. “I reckon I know what he’s onto” I thought and so I made my way over. As I got closer I recognised him from a few trips before (Daneways and here) and so re-introducing myself he kindly pointed out a male Brostreak which he’d been watching in the same spot for almost an hour. I got my shots and we chatted and I went back for a few more but my head connected with a Bramble and the butterfly flew back over the large mound of Bramble. I apologised profusely but Tommy (I think it was, I’m useless with names) said not to mind as he’d be back.
DSC_2746 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2755 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2770 - Copy 001.JPG
So after about 5 minutes the male was indeed back. We stood back and let him settle for a good while and in the meantime while we chatted we watched various other butterflies pass by. A Comma, Holly Blue, Red Admiral all joined the ranks of Meadow and Hedge Browns and various Whites. The Brostreak was still in the same place so we went in for a few more shots and then stood back again to give him some space and Tommy said his goodbyes and headed for home. I stayed for a bit and while I watched the Brostreak moved a little further back into the vegetation and into the shade so I left him in peace and had a quick walk around the small scallops on the other side of the main track.
DSC_2780 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2783 - Copy.JPG
There were plenty of Blues around as well as a Smessex and a few Specklies in the more shaded overhung parts of the trackways. On the final walk back along the hedge the Brostreak was gone but I walked through a cloud of 20 or so Blues; mainly Common Blue males thought here were a few Brown Argus and at least on Holly in the mix. It was quite a novel experience to be surrounded at head height by so many fluttering insects, I was just glad they were butterflies and not Horseflies! I also briefly checked out the other side of the hedge and this meant that I was able to add Small Tort and Peacock to the visit tally.
DSC_2794 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2797 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2803 - Copy.JPG
Hopefully I’ll find a few more tomorrow but actually a pretty fine haul for the time of day and in the incessant heat. It’s nice to know that the job, barring an unusual migrant/ Cloudy, is done and now I can relax and enjoy all the butterflies I find, though there might not be that many as they might have all burnt out. Hopefully I’ll be wrong about this…

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done with the male Brown Hairstreak, great images.
No males for me this year, I had a lifetimes worth last year !.

Looking forward to your Tilshead report,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Wurzel, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I think Wurzel that the only way I'm going to find a Brown Hair Streak is if it's pointed out to me :lol:

millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see a male Brown Hairstreak, Wurzel, and nice shots too. :) None for me this year, though the females are still around.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Shipton does do well for males. At the rate I'm going now that I'm back at work the Tilshead report might have to be a Christmas present Trevor :shock: :lol:
Cheers Goldie :D When I saw my first I almost missed it so despite their vivid colours at times they can still be mighty hard to find at times :roll:
Cheers Dave :D This year the males appeared at roughly the same time as the heatwave which meant they seemed to start behaving unexpectedly and also oddly :roll: . Luckily by the time the females arrived things were a little more normal climate wise :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Great Brostreaks and SSSkips, Wurzel. It seems to me you must be "catching-up". It seems like only a couple of weeks ago I was chasing SSSkips over Old Winch Hill.

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Ernie :D I've still got 19 posts to do (not including my weekend in Surrey, Welsh holiday and the rest of French holiday) so I better get busy :shock: :roll:

Laverstock 26-07-2018 Part 1

This was to be part 1 of a full day of butterflying! I’d been waiting for this moment for almost a year, the first day of the summer when I’d finally be free to day all of the butterflying that I wanted…just a pity that the season is almost over and that the holiday is now only 5 weeks long, oh and I’d have lots of chores to do and some work and there would also be family outings…Whatever the plans had been laid, recces done and things were moving along nicely so I was going to try and enjoy this day. So first up Holiday Tutor class which may be a pleasant chore for Little L but for me meant the opportunity to get up the Down and start ticking off butterflies.

And so it began with a few Browns on the path along the at the back of the Tutors and then a Holly Blue on the Ivy at the start of the track across the farmers field. From there I worked my way along the bottom of the Down making towards the gully. Hedge Browns and Meadow Browns posed open wings sucking up the early morning sun as they sucked up nectar and through the sea of long grasses the occasional Blue roosted, still closed wing perhaps waiting for the temperature to increase just a degree more. A Marbled White in very poor repair flew around one of the islands of Bramble which was a notable sighting as it could be the last of this species that I see this year. The islands of Bramble seem to work their way down the Down and about half way along the track they merge with the hedge running along bottom length of the track forming short tunnels. You have two choices here, either climb up and round and then re-join the track on the other side or stick to the track and duck and dive threw to the other side. Today I chose the latter option as it’s a good way to catch the butterflies unawares. It paid off as in the exposed patches of Down between these tunnels I found a nice selection of Blues just waking up, including a Small Copper.
DSC_2808 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2812 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2819 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2823 - Copy.JPG
As the path wound on with the hedge on one side and the Down towering on the other it levels out at it reaches the gully. Here a noticed a little brown job. It’s erratic, fast and jinking flight surprised me. I first thought Skipper and not a small Brown but the brown colour stumped me momentarily. Perhaps a very worn Smessex? It landed close by and I crept up remembering as I did that last year I’d seen a second brood Dingy – fast, zig-zagging flight, little brown job, that must be what it was. And indeed it was.
DSC_2837 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2848 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2851 - Copy.JPG
After this I made my way to the gully which wasn’t exactly overflowing with Chalkhills but was still holding reasonable numbers for this site and it did have a second Small Copper in amongst the Common Blues which were almost as numerous as the Meadow Browns. I kept on moving climbing up one side of the gully and making my way back to the entrance but this time from the top and along the side of the Down. I’d look down and laid out before me was a butterfly display of wonder as separate butterflies would take off and bumble into others disturbing them and so on in a chaotic and poor choreographed Mexican Wave. Occasionally I’d stop and admire one particular butterfly or just breathe deeply and take in the whole scene.
DSC_2863 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_2879 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2885 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2892 - Copy.JPG
All too soon I was back in the cool of the Tutors house checking through my photos. What a cracking hour, possibly the best start to the holidays ever?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice to see the male Brown Hairstreaks in your recent post, Wurzel :D I've not seen them for some years :(

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

That sounds like a splendid day out, Wurzel, and a great record of it. :) A second brood Dingy too - I haven't seen one for some years now: that's a nice find. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Gate Keeper and the Common Blue Wurzel, they bring back some lovely Summer Memories :D Your second shot of the Common Blue in particular with the sharp blue colouring really checks out the early morning dew for me :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D Shipton Bellinger is a really good for male Brostreaks, in fact I've possibly seen more males than females at this site over the years :D
Cheers Dave :D This was only the 'Starter' I quickly headed out for the Main Course :wink:
Cheers Goldie :D The light on that morning was spot on and made most things 'ping' out of the grasses :D

Shipton Bellinger (Part 2 of the all dayer) 26-07-2018

Having done Tutor Session 1 I had the rest of the day until 3ish free; so where to go? Well at this time of year where else but Shipton? I already had my Brostreak so now it was time to go for some more...

To save time I cut straight to the chase and parked behind the hotspot/border hedge in the shade. Two gents, one later remembered as Maurice, say there is nowt about which got me wondering if the Brostreaks were returning back to their usual habits and putting in a decent shift in the golden hours between 11 and 3? So I wandered along the hedge checking for any little orange triangles and paying particular attention to any areas where the grass looked trampled. I didn’t see any Brostreaks though on this first sweep through but there were good numbers of Holly Blue, Hedge & Meadow Browns along with the occasional Large White and Brown Argus in amongst the grasses bordering the hedge. Towards the end there was a mass congregation of Blues, mainly Common, feeding on a bit of dog poo. They took off now and again in a reverse cascade of blue.
DSC_2899 - Copy.JPG
...and then there were two.
...and then there were two.
DSC_2908 - Copy.JPG
I completed my ‘transect’ and then ended up back where I’d started and also where I’d seen the male Brostreak the day before. And there it was, possibly even the very same male. I called out that I’d gotten one and spied Paul who was onto his own. I looked back as Maurice and his mate arrived and there was a second. Three males all within 5 metres of each other. We all hung around here for a while and were joined by a SWF, Red Admiral and a Smessex while the three males became two when Pauls pushed off. Then the second left leaving the remaining one which had a real penchant for one particular Thistle Head. After a while various people appeared and all the while the Brostreak hung around the one flower. One bloke arrived (John – I’m so bad with names) and got straight onto the male. Then there was a semi-anxious wait while he had to wait for his mate to arrive. Mind you he needn’t have worried as this male wasn’t going anywhere.
DSC_2920 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2976 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2990 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3001 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3006 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3015 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3096 - Copy.JPG
After a while people drifted off and so I did as well. I sauntered round to the other side of the hedge and started up the hill. I cut through into a partial clearing and bumped into Andy (who regularly does the transect here) and Paul. A Wall Brown flies by landing just long enough to make an ID and so I decide to check this area out. We meander our way along the track, ducking under Hawthorn occasionally and emerging in tiny, sheltered clearings. We find a Brostreak or two in the first of these and by the time we’ve done a complete walk round and made our way back we’ve added even more bringing the tally to 2 males and 2 females. A second brood Dingy also out in an appearance but was too quick for my lens. I did note that the females don’t seem to be acting in their usual fashion – possibly the heat is getting to them? Normally they’re the first down to the nectar, showing up the honey coloured or tatty males with their pristine, glowing livery. Yet today both females were up high (about head height) and were skulking in the shade. Still a grand total of 6 males and 2 females isn’t to be sniffed at this year when the Brostreak Rule Book has been virtually burnt and discarded.
DSC_3143 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3147.JPG
DSC_3175 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3194 - Copy.JPG
DSC_3198 - Copy.JPG
Cheerfully I loaded up the car and set off for home…there’s another tutor session for little L still to go so another chance for me to get up the Down.
Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Excellent set of Hairstreaks there, Wurzel! :) You're right about them throwing away the rulebook, but my suspicion is that they haven't really got one... :? There is no such thing as a typical season weatherwise, so you can expect anything. Still if it was all 100% predictable, I think we'd all get bored! :)

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”