September 2018

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

September 2018

Post by David M »

Autumn tomorrow. :(

However, there can often be pleasant surprises in September....
Robin

Re: September 2018

Post by Robin »

Very pleased to see a Small Copper in the garden this afternoon along with a Holly Blue and 2 Small Whites. It's two years since we have had a Small Copper here. We used to get all three generations.
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to hear that, Robin. Small Copper numbers seem to be good right now; maybe as good as they've been for quite a while.

I hope your visitor returns again.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Thank you David. It's back today with a friend! Taking a lot of interest in one another but no action so probably two males. Also Comma, Holly Blue and 3 Small Whites.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

On the Small Copper subject, I've just had several extremely freshly-emerged ones on my UKBMS transect just outside York. I'll put pictures on my PD a bit later on.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Today at Dungeness ,3 Clouded Yellows ,10 Small Coppers ,5 Common Blues ,all males 1 fresh (3rd brood ), 6 Meadow Browns
all much smaller than the norm: numerous Large Whites and Small Heath,a few Small Whites .
Mating pairs of Large White ,Meadow Brown and Small Copper.
At Orlestone forest ( morning ,brief visit. ) 4 Small Copper ,2 Red Admiral and 1 Painted Lady.
Regards Allan.W.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Two more Painted Ladies today near Nairn. But no Red Admirals for the past two months.
Increase in wayside numbers of GV Whites so suspect a small third brood.

Jack
Jonny721

Post by Jonny721 »

Nice to find a couple of 2nd gen male Adonis Blues at Aston Rowant yesterday afternoon, my first ever sighting of this species. One was quite worn but the other was still pretty fresh showing the colour nicely
IMG_4496.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Jonny721 wrote:Nice to find a couple of 2nd gen male Adonis Blues at Aston Rowant yesterday afternoon, my first ever sighting of this species. One was quite worn but the other was still pretty fresh showing the colour nicely
Nice find, Jonny. Were there any Silver Spotted Skippers still hanging on there?
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A few of my weekend highlights from around and about in mid-Kent. All from Lydden NNR ,Except the female Small Copper
from an early morning visit to Orlestone forest .
P1350471.JPG
P1350463.JPG
P1350354.JPG
P1350371.JPG
Rivoldini

Post by Rivoldini »

Here's a strange one in Tyne & Wear this morning.
Attachments
st2.jpg
st1.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

That's quite bizarre, Rivoldini. I've never seen a Small Tortoiseshell like that before.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

David M wrote:Autumn tomorrow. :(

However, there can often be pleasant surprises in September....
Never was a truer word spoken ! Yesterday morning i was admiring Clouded Yellows in the South of France.... this morning i saw one near Huntingdon Bus Station !!

:D
:lol:
Rivoldini

Post by Rivoldini »

That's quite bizarre, Rivoldini. I've never seen a Small Tortoiseshell like that before.

I thought the same. Two fore wings or two hind wings, or one side different is understandable but just the one wing was odd. I cannot find anything similar on the web so cannot put a name to it. It was there all day Sunday but I checked today and it has moved on,
Ron
David M

Post by David M »

Charles Nicol wrote:...Yesterday morning i was admiring Clouded Yellows in the South of France.... this morning i saw one near Huntingdon Bus Station !!
So good to bring one back with you, Charles. :D
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

If I'm right this would count as a nice surprise in September. I think this is a newly emerged third generation Map? I read that this happens relatively frequently in Southern France, but only in hot summers here in the North West (Brittany). It doesn't look tatty to me!
Attachments
image.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! You gave me a shock there, Deborah, until I 'clocked' your location.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have to wonder why Maps don't occur (naturally : there have been a few short-lived introductions) in southern England. Maybe they have a very low vagrancy/dispersal.

Yesterday, 5th September, at Aboyne gliding club airfield, (Deeside, Scotland), significant numbers of Small Tortoiseshells (2nd summer brood?) and Small Whites. Nectaring on thistle.

Jack
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

The other day I found a fully grown Red Admiral larva climbing up the door of my garage. On opening the door it fell off so I placed it in the foliage in the garden. Later I found it having a half hearted attempt at building a larval web. The next day it had given up on the web and had started to pupate. Unlike the Wall Brown larva I followed in the Spring that took 7 days to become a pupa from starting to pupate, the Red Admiral had changed to a pupa the following day. It is an amazing pupa with gold leaf shine on it and many patterns that the camera just can't catch.
Red Admiral larva turning to pupa.
Red Admiral larva turning to pupa.
Red Admiral pupa.
Red Admiral pupa.
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.co.uk
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

At a windy but warm Dungeness this afternoon ,I found 17 Small Copper ,2 Clouded Yellows ,several of Small and Large Whites
3 Meadow Browns , 5 Common Blues (2- 3rd brood ) 6 Small Heath ,1 Brown Argus and 1 Painted Lady.
Regards Allan.W.
P1350565.JPG
P1350550.JPG

Return to “Sightings”