Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Andrew555

Post by Goldie M »

I'm still catching up on posts Andrew, fantastic shots of the SWF :mrgreen: your shots of the Valesina are lovely. Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Trevor, I'll keep that in mind. :D

Cheers Neil. :D

Hi Goldie, thanks very much. :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

A final selection from my July Portland visits.

Female and male Small Copper. One of the antennae of the male seems to be underdeveloped, rather than damaged ?
1.jpg
2.jpg
Part of Tout Quarry.
3.JPG
On the Buddleia within, alongside the Graylings, there were Peacocks and Red Admirals.
4.jpg
5.jpg
Some of the other butterflies I saw on Buddleia around Portland. Marbled White, Chalkhill Blue, Hedge and Meadow Brown.
6.jpg
Chesil Beach from Portland Heights, on a very calm day.
7.JPG
Other leisure pursuits, are available.
8.jpg
Fresh Wall had just started to emerge.
9.jpg
I was very happy to find these nicely posed Chalkhills.
10.jpg
After 20 minutes one of them decided it was warm enough to start basking. His mate followed suit after a bit of shuffling around.
11.jpg
Cheers. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shot of the Blue badger Copper Andrew :D :mrgreen: Then there's that brill Wall :mrgreen: And then you smash it out of the park with the final 2 Chalkhills shot :shock: 8) brilliantly shows the range of variation in their upper sides :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Excellent Chalkhill pictures there, Andrew. Looks like you have better weather than we did!

David M

Post by David M »

Magnificent sequence, Andrew! That panoramic of Chesil Beach is a view I haven’t ever seen before (and a wonderful one at that).

Your last image of the Chalkhills takes top prize though. It’ll be hard to improve on that one!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thank you for your kind words Wurzel, Mark and David. :D

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Great Chalkhill shots, Andrew.
Definitely prize winners.
Chris

trevor

Post by trevor »

Love your first and last images in particular.
The Small Copper is in a beautiful pose, and the Chalkhills are rather Katrina-esque
I think many of us would like to have taken that shot ! :mrgreen: .

Well done, Andrew.
Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A stonking set of shots there Andrew!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Fantastic sequence of shots, Andrew, from one of our favourite places :D I can't single one out as they're all stunning :D :mrgreen:

Mike

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Chris, thanks a lot. :D

Cheers Trevor. :D The early morning tactics really paid off with the Chalkhills.

Thanks Bugboy. :D

Thanks a lot Mike. :D I'm totally with you about Portland! :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

I've just caught up with your last set of Portland shots, Andrew. Those two Chalkhills are brilliant - what a great illustration that is of the variability there is in this species. :)

Dave

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Let me add my congrats on the Chalkhill shots. I thought at first you had a mated pair until I realised they were not connected and only then realised they were the same sex! Then the second shot showing one of them to have a faded-out appearance. Fantastic.

Ernie F
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

That's a superb picture Andrew ! (the last one ) of two male Chalkhills, shows nicely just how variable they can be ! ……………..Nice one !!
Regards Allan.W.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thank you Dave, Ernie and Allan. :D Cheers guys.

Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello Andrew, I am catching up on diaries :D

I can only but repeat what everyone else has already said, what a great set of shots and all pin sharp!

The Chalkhills back to back look like they are mirrored at first glance, I love this picture, and then they opened up for you to take that last stunner. Right place at the right time, great pictures :D

Old Wolf.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot Old Wolf. :D Cheers.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just catching up on your diary Andrew, loving the photos from Portland having just been there a couple of weeks ago although there was less on offer at this time of year.

That male Small Copper has a lovely set of blue spots but the pair of Chalk Hill Blues are outstanding :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot Neil. :D Cheers.

Return to “Personal Diaries”