Malvern High Brown Sites

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Malvern High Brown Sites

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Hi Guys (and Gals),
I may get the chance to spend a few hours on the Malvern Hills next weekend and would love to see High Brown frits... I know this would be a very tall order indeed (with or without the weather), but we live in hope. Unfortunately, the only sites I have heard of which would help to narrow down my search are on private land and hence not possible for me to visit. Has anyone any useful info they could share with me please? I realise details may be sensitive, so 'PM' me if necessary... just need to try to find an area where it is possible... 'The Malvern Hills' is rather a large area! Some areas must be better than others and a particular hillside/grid ref would be very much appreciated. We may have to wait until next year and go to Arnside, but with a little help, it has to be worth a shot this year too?

Many thanks,

Trev
Alan Thornbury

Re: Malvern High Brown Sites

Post by Alan Thornbury »

Hi Trevor,

As you say it's probably a tall order (even in good weather and next weekend is getting late in the High Brown flight season there) but you might be lucky and see the odd one. Take a look at the Malvern Chat forum which is accessed from the BC West Midlands branch website for postings of recent sightings (not many so far this year) but look back at last year's postings as a guide. A good place to start is the bracken covered slope running north from the Obelisk in Eastnor Park (grid ref of centre of slope is SO752379) but there are occasional reports from other locations such as Swinyard Hill and Castlemorton Common. I am not aware of public access restrictions to these particular locations. The High Browns are normally seen in flight over the bracken, but occasionally feed on marsh thistles which grow in small damp clearings in the bracken and also bask on the bracken fronds. Be aware also that Dark Green Fritillary are also occasioanlly reported from the Malvern Hills area which of course look very similar to High Browns and are virtually indistinguishable in flight.

So good luck -- and by the way I used to live in Great Malvern before moving to Hants, so I know the area reasonably well and still return to my old stomping ground occasionally!

Cheers,

Alan
Last edited by Alan Thornbury on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Thank you very much Alan,
Some useful info there and at least if I can get somewhere near, I might be in with a chance (He who dares eh Rodney? He who dares :lol: ).

Trev
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I have it on good authority (from those monitoring the Malvern population) that the obelisk is the place to be - so I reckon that Alan is spot on!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Is that area currently open to the public though :?: ... (I believe 'Eastor Deer Park' is closed until August and I'm not sure if this is the same area).
I will have to get an OS map and have a squint.

Trev
Alan Thornbury

Post by Alan Thornbury »

It's a couple of years since I visited the site and I recall an advice notice to visitors at the access point from Gullet quarry about being wary of deer with fawns (the adults can be aggressive in protecting their young) but no other warning/restriction notices. Hopefully someone with knowledge of any restrictions this season will reply. The path in front of the Obelisk in Eastnor Park is a public right of way according to OS map.

Cheers,

Alan

Return to “Sites”