Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Maximus

Post by David M »

I'm surprised you'd never seen Black Veined Whites before, Mike. They're pretty common in many parts of France and extremely so in the Pyrenees & Alps.

Lovely, photogenic species though, easy to spot and very approachable. It'd be nice if they recolonised the UK (though I'm not sure the fruit farmers would agree!)

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Wurzel, yes the Black-veined Whites and the Glandon Blue are very lush indeed, and I see what you mean about not finishing the colouring in of the Garvarnie Blue :lol:

I’ve just never bumped into Black-veined Whites during previous trips to France, David. I agree, it would be nice to have them back in the UK.

Another butterfly we were hoping to see for the first time during our trip to the French Pyrenees, was the Scarce Copper. We need not have worried as we found some beautiful examples of this stunning looking butterfly. We did not see a large number, and those that we saw were all males, not sure where the females were hiding?

P1020287Resize.JPG
P1020193.jpgAResize.JPG
P1020197AResize.JPG
P1020296Resize.JPG
This butterfly had his forewing stuck behind the hindwing. It didn't stop him flying though!
This butterfly had his forewing stuck behind the hindwing. It didn't stop him flying though!

Purple-edged Coppers appeared to be more common than the Scarce, and we found good numbers of them, including some lovely females. The Purple-edged Copper is another beautiful butterfly.

Purple-edged Copper male
Purple-edged Copper male
Purple-edged Copper male
Purple-edged Copper male
Purple-edged Copper male
Purple-edged Copper male
Purple-edged Copper female, showing a hint of blue
Purple-edged Copper female, showing a hint of blue
Purple-edged Copper female

We saw only one stunning example of the Purple-shot Copper, a male, of which we got just two shots of before it took flight and disappeared towards the horizon. I’m not sure why they’re so scarce, did someone get the names mixed up?

P1290613Resize.JPG
The grass stem could not be removed or it would have been no shot at all!
The grass stem could not be removed or it would have been no shot at all!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Almost forgot, this is a shot showing the typical habitat where we found the Coppers (and others)

P1010883Resize.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those coppers are all stunning, impossible to pick a favourite. They are all high on my to see in the flesh list :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

A Copper Bonanza, all the pics are fantastic - its so good to see other species that I am not familiar with and in such wonderful countryside too.

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Aah! That looks like heaven on earth to me, Mike!

Yes, female Scarce Coppers live up to their name. They keep themselves to themselves, unlike the males which can be very common in good years.

2018 was a BAD year for them, and I saw just three males and NO females. Shame because it is my favourite Copper of the ones available in SE France, and your images are extremely good so you should be well satisfied.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Fantastic shots of some beautiful butterflies Maximus. Love it. :mrgreen: :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely Scarce Coppers, Mike. That orange has be seen to be believed ( see page 72 of my diary ).
We came across some very fresh ones, including females, in the French Pyrenees last year.
No Purple Edged Coppers though, so it's good to see yours. :mrgreen: .

Trevor.

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

A stunning set of photos of French lovelies, Maximus - I'm tempted to book a holiday there for next year!

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Bugboy, I’m not surprised those Coppers are on your see in the flesh list. I need to see them again too, this could well become addictive :D

Thanks, Ernie, it’s really great to see stunning new species in beautiful surroundings.

It is heaven on earth, David, and you’ve visited a few others too. It’s interesting what you say about the females. Lets hope that next year’s a good one for French Scarce Coppers.

Thanks, Andrew, I hope you can get to see them too sometime :D

Thanks, Trevor, I’ve just looked at page 71 and 72 of your diary, stunning shots of stunning Scarce Coppers both male and female :D looks like 2017 was a good year for them. I like the shot of the two males on the flowerhead. I somehow missed those posts! I guess you’d have to be on this site 24/7 to see everything during the peak emergence months :?

Thanks, Janet, it’s well worth doing :D

I’ve now reached the point where I begin to run into a little bit of difficulty in our Pyrenean trip species report with the skippers. The reason being is that I understand that correct identification of some species of Skipper is not always straightforward, and having only upperside shots compounds the ID issues, as certain Pyrgus species appear quite similar on their uppersides.

Tolman and Lewington and several web sites have been of great help, but it has taken me a while to establish what I believe to be the correct ID’s. I have added the approximate altitude that we found each species, where appropriate (and have checked their flight times) as this may add relevance to the ID’s.

Red Underwing Skipper
Red Underwing Skipper
Marbled Skipper. 1700 mtrs.
Marbled Skipper. 1700 mtrs.
P1010588Resize.JPG
Tufted Marbled Skipper. 1540 mtrs.
Tufted Marbled Skipper. 1540 mtrs.
Large Grizzled Skipper.  1540 mtrs.
Large Grizzled Skipper. 1540 mtrs.
Grizzled Skipper (P.m malvoides) 1700 mtrs.
Grizzled Skipper (P.m malvoides) 1700 mtrs.
Carline Skipper, 2 facing each other in the shot. With Marbled Skippers, Mazarine and Turquoise Blues.  1700 mtrs.
Carline Skipper, 2 facing each other in the shot. With Marbled Skippers, Mazarine and Turquoise Blues. 1700 mtrs.
Large Skipper
Large Skipper
Small Skipper
Small Skipper
Essex Skipper
Essex Skipper
Marbled Skipper Group with 2/3 Oberthur's? And 2x Turquoise Blues.  1700 mtrs.
Marbled Skipper Group with 2/3 Oberthur's? And 2x Turquoise Blues. 1700 mtrs.
Last edited by Maximus on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

This is one of the locations at 1700 mtrs. where we found Skippers.

P1010989Resize.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic array of Copper and Skippers Mike, my cup filleth over with Mr Greens :shock: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

I just love the multiple butterfly shots, Mike. :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Hi Mike,

Lovely sequence of images. Looks like you had a productive time.

Your Oberthur's looks more like either Olive or Large Grizzled Skipper, depending on size, which is something I can't gauge from an image.

Any undersides?

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Wurzel, I'm sure you've a few up your sleeve for a later date :wink:

Yes, Dave, it's was nice to see lots of butterflies in one small space :)

Thanks for your input, David, no underside shots unfortunately. I originally thought Large Grizzled as I remember thinking at the time it was a relatively large Skipper.
I’ve had a look this morning at ‘Butterflies of France’ website and found a page showing broadly typical Pyrgus upperside photos. large Grizzled and Olive both appear to have obscure upper hindwing markings, as does the Skipper in my shot, whereas Oberthur’s appears to have slightly stronger markings in these areas. The ground colour of ‘my’ skipper seems closer to the Large Grizzled than Olive, which appears paler, but I appreciate that these points are variable. The author does say that alveus is perhaps the most difficult of the French Pyrgus species to identify with any degree of confidence!
I also looked on Guy’s European Butterfly site and the second shot down in his Large Grizzled Skipper section looks a pretty good match to the one I photographed.

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

You have done well naming those ' Grizzled type' Skippers.
We saw many different Grizzled Skippers, some similar to our own.
But none would be seen in the UK, and some could easily be confused with other types.

I gave up !.
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote:Thanks for your input, David, no underside shots unfortunately. I originally thought Large Grizzled as I remember thinking at the time it was a relatively large Skipper.
If it was noticeably large, Mike, then with those markings I think it has to be alveus. The only others of similar size are Safflower and Oberthur’s, and it’s clearly neither of those.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Trevor, Identification of these Skippers is not clear-cut and there seems to be plenty of variation, even within the same species.

Thanks for your help, David, much appreciated. Can someone please advise me how to edit the caption under a photo :?

During our week in the French Pyrenees, we probably only saw about half a dozen or so Large Blues. We only ever saw one or two individuals in any one day, possibly because their habitat is so vast and their numbers low. They must cross paths sometimes however, as one day we found a female egg laying.

P1010829.jpgBResize.JPG
P1010830Resize.JPG
This was the female egg laying 30secs before this shot.
This was the female egg laying 30secs before this shot.

We also only saw singles of Turquoise Blue, all males, but what a stunning looking butterfly it is, a first for us.

P1020264.jpgCResize.JPG
P1020163.jpgBResize.JPG

Mazarine Blue was another first for us, what a pity they don’t now fly in the UK as they’re a gorgeous shade of blue.

P1290073Resize.JPG
P1290342.jpgAResize.JPG

I think this is an Amanda's Blue female.

P1290354Resize.JPG

This a shot contains half (of the eight) Garvarnie Blues that we saw during our week.

Gavarnie Blue, a very sociable butterfly
Gavarnie Blue, a very sociable butterfly

Also seen in most places were Common, Small, Silver-studded and Adonis Blues.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking Blues Mike :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That last shot is a real cracker as are the Mazarines - I wish I'd gotten shots like that of the one I saw :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I agree with your statement regarding Turquoise Blue, Mike. It is possibly my favourite in this family.

Like you, I find that they usually crop up singly, although in the Pyrenees last May I saw many dozens at a single site so they can be communal when they want to be.

Return to “Personal Diaries”