Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed the Brown Hairstreaks.,

Ernie, it would be truer to say ' all of the Hairstreaks in Sussex '.
Before this year it was necessary to travel outside of Sussex for the Black Hairstreak.
I still find it hard to comprehend that there is a colony of them so close to home !.

Whilst searching for Brown Hairstreaks yesterday, I found a female Meadow Brown
in good condition, and well marked, plus a very fresh Speckled Wood among many worn ones.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1200071.JPG
P1200073.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a fresh Specklie Trevor :D What brood is that I wonder? :? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

An early morning deluge put all thoughts of a day with the Butterflies out of my mind.
But a steady improvement in the weather meant that a local trip was worth risking.
My destination was Rowland Wood, and hopefully a Small Pearl or two.
As I was searching I heard the unmistakable voice of Dave Cook shout out my name.
We joined forces, both hoping for a SPBF, but we drew a blank.
Better luck was on our side when we reached Park Corner Heath, when Dave spotted
a female Small Pearl on the Heather, near the hut, and I then noticed a male nearby.
In a short space of time another male was seen, all worn, but very welcome.

We then retraced our steps back to the large area of Fleabane in Rowland Wood,
where a large number of Common Blues were flying. A mating pair was located
with just enough time for some shots before another deluge threatened.
Indeed the Heavens opened on the drive home !.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1200162.JPG
P1200142.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a lovely marked Frit Trevor :D it's an ab isn't it? Or if not on the way to being one :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Although slightly worn, I think that Small Pearl is just a nicely marked female, Wurzel.

millerd

Post by millerd »

That is a splendid female SPBF, Trevor. Quite a stand-out specimen with those markings. :) :mrgreen:

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

A LURE ?.

I had a fabulous morning with the Brown Hairstreaks.
But I thought the image below ought to be shown separately.

The way the tail is being displayed is surely intended to ensure that any Bird
fancying a Butterfly snack would be attracted to the tail end, allowing the
tailless Hairstreak to escape and continue producing next seasons brood.
Obviously it would be game over if the head end was more attractive.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1200235.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

And a little bit of 'wing-rolling' to put the cherry on the cake, just in case any bird is still confused :)

You're certainly doing well with these guys this year. I've used up most of my time off now so I'm extra jealous of you retired folk :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Leaden skies and occasional bright sunny spells ensured a slow start at Steyning this morning.
Indeed it was the final fifty mins. or so that produced most of the sightings, up until the magic 2.15 pm.
Such were the weather conditions that most Brown Hairstreaks, once found, rested or basked with
wings open for lengthy periods allowing their admirers plenty of photo opportunities.
Nine females were spotted in all.

Another great day, in good company

Trevor.
Attachments
P1200198.JPG
P1200249.JPG
P1200214.JPG
P1200252.JPG
P1200239.JPG
P1200247.JPG
P1200208.JPG
P1200221.JPG

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Absolutely fantastic Brown Hairstreak pics, Trevor - especially the one from above showing off the "tails" but not only that, the wings bulge too giving the whole impression of a false-head. Wonderful stuff.

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Great effort with the Brown Hairstreaks, especially the one viewed from above which, as you rightly say, seems to tempt the predator into thinking that the head is at the tail end!

Your SPBF is lovely too. Great to have such a 'bonus' late season species not too far away.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Ernie & David. The Brown Hairstreak females have shown well this year.
The variable weather, on each day so far, has made photography easier than usual.

All the best,
Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

ALL FIVE UK. HAIRSTREAK SPECIES FOUND IN SUSSEX THIS YEAR !.

I am not alone in achieving this goal, others have too, thanks to the fantastic
re- discovery of the Black Hairstreak colony on Ditchling Common by Dave Cook.
This, for Sussex, must be the most exciting discovery of the century so far and
maybe for the rest of it too !.
Also the normally elusive Purple Hairstreak has been seen basking at low level
in many Sussex locations, including Abbots Wood which is very local to me.

Hopefully all five Hairstreak species will be seen in the years ahead, in Sussex.
Attachments
Green Hairstreak, Kithurst flower meadow.
Green Hairstreak, Kithurst flower meadow.
Black Hairstreak, Ditchling Common
Black Hairstreak, Ditchling Common
White Letter Hairstreak, Hollingbury.
White Letter Hairstreak, Hollingbury.
Purple Hairstreak, Abbots Wood.
Purple Hairstreak, Abbots Wood.
Brown Hairstreak, Steyning.
Brown Hairstreak, Steyning.

Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Wow. Congrats on completing the set. I am insanely jealous :D :mrgreen: :D

Old Wolf.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Old Wolf, I'm pleased those Hairstreaks gave some pleasure.

Today I made a return visit to Steyning Rifle Range. After a promising start we
encountered a band of heavy grey cloud which was successful in blotting out the Sun,
and just kept on coming, worse, blue sky could be seen either side of this long ribbon of cloud.
After quite a while several visitors gave up, leaving about six of us.

Around 12.45 blue sky reasserted itself, and the Brown Hairstreaks responded to the warm Sun.
Basically things got a bit hectic !, with females showing one after the other, both on an egg
laying mission, or basking with wings wide open.
One optimist said about sixteen BH were seen, but I would have thought about ten, to be safe.
Many of the BH were showing signs of wear, but never the less it was a delight to see them.

Two other sightings of interest, a young Common Lizzard used my bag to soak up the Sun,
and a Wasp Spider complete with web was found near the fenced area.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1200998.JPG
P1210024.JPG
P1210003.JPG
P1210027.JPG
P1210047.JPG
P1210010.JPG
P1210065.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely Brown Hairstreaks, trevor, they wear it well :D must get out myself, early next week :)

Mike

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those Steyning Hairstreaks are really doing well this year :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Yes, enjoy the Hairstreaks while you can, Mike. They are doing very well this year, Paul.

The grey gloom finally lifted this afternoon, so on my way home I called in at Mill Hill.
The hoped for Adonis Blues were found in good numbers, but the evening Sun shining
directly on the hillside made it rather hot, which together with a strong breeze made
photography rather difficult.
One poor male was not only deformed, but had suffered some damage as well.
It was also noticeable how many Meadow Browns were present, more than I have seen for a while.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1210087.JPG
P1210095.JPG
P1210086.JPG
P1210103.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

More great Hairstreaks, Trevor, and those Mill Hill Adonis look pretty splendid too. :) I think I may have to have a day down in Sussex this week - those two sites are quite close to each other as well, conveniently.

Cheers,

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Me too, weather permitting. I need a slice of Brown Hairstreaks action!

Return to “Personal Diaries”