Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Arnside Knott 30th & 31st July part 2 – The other butterflies.

As mentioned in my previous report I visited Arnside Knott twice, on the afternoon of the Monday (July 30th) and again the following morning.

The conditions on the Monday afternoon were not too bad, sunny spells and feeling warm but with a bit of a breeze and a couple of drizzly showers.
As well as the Scotch Argus which I have already discussed, Meadow Browns, Ringlets and Gatekeepers were all flying but numbers of all these were well down from what I would expect to see here and those I did see where mostly well worn and faded.
Gatekeeper female - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
Gatekeeper female - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
The Gatekeepers here are often smaller than those I see at home, especially the males, and there seems to be a higher incidence of extra spotting.
Gatkkeeper male - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
Gatkkeeper male - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
About half a dozen Speckled Woods were seen mostly sticking to the shadier spots along the tree lines and around the clearings.
Speckled Wood female - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
Speckled Wood female - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
A few Common Blues were seen including some small brown females that could easily be mistaken for Northern Brown Argus ssp.salmacis which can be found here earlier in the year, although these have been known to occasionally last into early August.
Given the way the season has developed this summer with the hot weather leading to some earlier and shorter flight periods I was not expecting to find any NBA still flying, so I was surprised to find one hanging on near the top of the Knott. At least I assume it was salmacis based on the location as I don't believe that agestis has reached this area despite its recent range expansion. If these two ever fly together here, I for one am not sure if I could tell the difference.
Northern Brown Argus ssp.salmacis - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
I had seen a Painted Lady during our short stop off at Warton Crag on the Sunday but it was quickly whisked away in the wind before I could get a photo. I was pleased therefore to find another one at the Knott which posed nicely for a while on a patch of ragwort.
Painted Lady - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
A little later I saw another couple of Painted Ladies at widely separated spots around the Knott making a total of three for the afternoon. There were also loads of Silver Y moths buzzing about up there indicating a bit of a migration was probably happening.

In all my previous visits to Arnside Knott over the years I have only ever seen one Small Copper here so I was pleased to find at least three during the morning, one in the lower meadows and two higher up. I suspect these have been between broods during my previous visits and this is another example of a species flying a little earlier this year.
Small Copper - Arnside Knott 30.07.2018
On my return visit the following morning, it was a little warmer and much sunnier up until about 12.30 although it was again a bit breezy on the more exposed slopes. I saw pretty much the same butterflies that I had seen the previous afternoon including Scotch Argus, Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers in roughly the same numbers as the previous afternoon.
This time I found four Small Coppers although three of them were probably the same ones I had seen the previous afternoon.
Small Copper - Arnside Knott 31.07.2018
Small Copper - Arnside Knott 31.07.2018
Another pleasant surprise seen towards the top of the Knott was a female Wall Brown, a species that I have never seen here before. Quite possibly these are also between broods when I usually visit around this time but I was also told that they are not often seen here these days. I believe there is a small population hanging on at Warton Crag which is just a few miles away as the crow (or butterfly) flies so maybe she had wandered over from there.
Wall Brown - Arnside Knott 31.07.2018
One particular butterfly drew my attention as I initially thought it was a Purple Hairstreak in flight but when it settled it proved to be an very small Ringlet. Unfortunately the small size doesn't really come across in a photo but it really was the smallest example of this species I have ever seen.
Ringlet - Arnside Knott 31.07.2018
Ringlet - Arnside Knott 31.07.2018
I had also looked for Grayling the previous afternoon without success so was pleased to find a couple this time on the loose scree above the car park. This was also where the breeze was the strongest so I only managed a couple of photos of one hunkered down in a sheltered part of the path.
Grayling - Arnside Knott 31.07.2018
Grayling - Arnside Knott 31.07.2018
During all my visits here in previous years I have managed to see a few High Brown Fritillaries and often a few Dark Greens still hanging on, although both these are usually at the end of their flight period and well past their best. On both Monday and Tuesday's visits I had a good look at the usual spots but failed to find either species this year. I suspect that this was yet another result of the hot weather leading to earlier emergences and that both species were over for the year.

Around 12.30 the clouds built up to a blanket overcast and the wind picked up so I left and went back to meet up with Jane and have a bit of lunch.

Later in the afternoon, after we had been back to Leighton Moss for another couple of hours, I popped around to Gait Barrows for a look. Unfortunately it was still overcast and breezy and apart from a few 'whites', a couple of Speckled Wood and singles of Peacock and Common Blue, not much else was about.
The Common Blue was a female that was notable because those that I see up here are are predominately the browner variety whereas I see the more blue forms further south. This makes me wonder if the amount of blue on female Common Blues is temperature related with this one seen here after one of the hottest summers for a long while.
Common blue female - Gait Barrows 31.07.2018
Common blue female - Gait Barrows 31.07.2018
I also saw a few Red Admirals and Peacocks scattered about the area but failed to get a photo of either until Tuesday afternoon when I spotted a Peacock in the garden of our B&B where it was flitting about and stopping occasionally to bask on a stone wall.
Peacock - Silverdale 31.07.2018
Also seen during the couple of days but not photographed were all three common whites seen everywhere and a few tired looking Small Skippers plus about half a dozen Purple Hairstreaks flitting about high up around some of the Oak trees around the Knott.

So then, overall the total numbers of butterflies seen here was much lower than I have seen in previous years and just like back home, those species that have grass feeding larvae seemed to have been hit the hardest. On a more positive note I was pleased to see the Painted Ladies and the Small Coppers plus the Wall Brown was a nice surprise. The NBA was also a nice bonus as, given the way the season has been running, I thought that these would have been over for this year.

All in all, it felt as if the season was far more advanced than when I have previously visited the area in previous years.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

An interesting account of your visit to the Knott, Neil. That NBA, as you say, is indistinguishable from a standard Brown Argus, and very late in what has been an early season for most other species. On my visit a month earlier, the DGF were definitely already nearly over and there was only one fresh HBF to be found - though the SPBF were still flying, and NBA were quite widespread... All very confusing! :? :)

Cheers,

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You saw a lot more butterflies up there than I saw yesterday afternoon Neil! I did however see a male Wall so it's interesting you had a female a few days earlier. I too saw 3 Painted Ladies, most likely the same ones you saw, they all had enough wear to put them a few days old at least.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic array of butterflies Neil :D Interesting to see that the NBAs are still hanging on in there :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely to see images of Scotch Argus on here, Neil. Not many are prepared to travel up there to see this beautiful insect which is a shame as it is truly a joy to behold and one of the most precious English species.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

That is a great selection from Oversley and Coverdale Neil. :mrgreen: :D Lovely moths, my fave is the Flame Carpet. Love your Scotch Argus as well. :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Dave, it is indeed a strange year with different species responding in different ways, some seem to have done well and others less so.

Thanks Bugboy, I think I benefited a bit from the rain they had just before I got up there although it was hard work finding some of them.

Cheers Wurzel, it was strange to see the NBA still hanging on as I have been there at the same time in more 'normal' years and they have finished

Hi David, plenty of people up there looking for them although my impression was that most of them were from north of the midlands.

Thanks Andrew, I get a few Flame Carpets every year, a really attractive moth when fresh.

Arnside 30th & 31st July part 3 – Leighton Moss.

A final report from our trip up north to wrap things up.

I mentioned in my previous couple of reports from Arnside that we visited RSPB Leighton Moss on the Monday morning and Tuesday afternoon and have said before that Jane likes it here as it has good facilities and paths which she can get around easily with her dodgy leg.
There are not usually many butterflies to see here 1) because the habitat is mostly reed beds and wetland 2) because we usually go here when the weather is not conducive for butterflies, but having said that we did see a number of Speckled Wood along the paths through the trees around the outside of the site and numerous whites were around on the Tuesday afternoon when it was cloudy but warm.

A selection of shots below from both days;
Not sure of this one...juvenile Pied Wagtail perhaps? - Leighton Moss 30.07.2018
Not sure of this one...juvenile Pied Wagtail perhaps? - Leighton Moss 30.07.2018
Swan having a stretch in the rain - Leighton Moss 30.07.2018
Swan having a stretch in the rain - Leighton Moss 30.07.2018
A trio of Little Egrets - Leighton Moss 30.07.2018
A trio of Little Egrets - Leighton Moss 30.07.2018
Some of the Robins were very tame - Leighton Moss 31.07.2018
Some of the Robins were very tame - Leighton Moss 31.07.2018
A few tame young Pheasants were around the back of the visitor centre - Leighton Moss 30.07.2018
A few tame young Pheasants were around the back of the visitor centre - Leighton Moss 30.07.2018
Jane watching the Marsh Harriers from the Grisedale Hide - Leighton Moss 31.07.2018
Jane watching the Marsh Harriers from the Grisedale Hide - Leighton Moss 31.07.2018
Marsh Harrier, tight crop of shot taken from Grisedale hide - Leighton Moss 31.07.2018
Marsh Harrier, tight crop of shot taken from Grisedale hide - Leighton Moss 31.07.2018
Marsh Harrier, another tight crop taken from Grisedale hide - Leighton Moss 31.07.2018
Marsh Harrier, another tight crop taken from Grisedale hide - Leighton Moss 31.07.2018
Red Deer and young - Leighton Moss 31.07.2018
Red Deer and young - Leighton Moss 31.07.2018
Back to butterflies next with a couple of reports from my local spots to catch up on.

Bye for now,

Neil
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Spot on with the Pied Wagtail Neil :D Great shot of the Swan - I can almost feel it's relief after the heatwave :D Great shots of the Marshie (Harrier not Frit :wink: ) it's been a while since I've seen one of those :mrgreen: but it looks like a male :? ? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely bird shots, Neil, and nice to see a bit of water and greenery on here after all the baking and arid habitat shots that have become almost de rigueur lately!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers for the confirmation on the Wagtail Wurzel, I am far more used to seeing the adults.

Although Leighton Moss is a wetland site David, the water levels were still much lower than I have ever seen in previous visits.

Now then, a bit of a catch up...

Wednesday August 1st

We left our B&B around 09.30 on the Wednesday morning and with a fair bit of thick cloud around we decided to head straight back home. I was also not looking forward to the M6 which seems to be restricted to 50mph for half of its length between Manchester and Birmingham, so I figured that the sooner we were on it, the sooner we would be off it. In the end, the journey back home went without any hold-ups and we arrived back just before 1.00pm.

After unpacking, I went to sit out in the garden with a coffee and watched the butterflies passing through which consisted mainly of good numbers of whites. As always, a couple of Speckled Woods were in their usual spots plus a couple of Gatekeepers were visiting a large ragwort plant which I have let grow in one side of the lawn. A Holly Blue also kept coming back to this ragwort so I grabbed my camera to take a couple of shots.
Holly Blue - Coverdale 01.08.2018
Holly Blue - Coverdale 01.08.2018
Thursday August 2nd.

I ran the moth trap in the garden on Thursday night. Clear skies and a bright moon kept the numbers down a bit but a total of 123 moths of 35 species (61 of 19 macro and 62 of 16 micro) included a nice Gold Spot which was a new one for the garden.
Gold Spot - Coverdale 02.08.2018
Gold Spot - Coverdale 02.08.2018

Friday August 3rd

We popped round to see my Mom on Friday afternoon and I took the opportunity to have a quick look around the small park which is just down the road from her house.
One large patch of brambles was covered with blackberries, some of which were already going overripe and these were playing host to at least half a dozen Speckled Wood which made for a distinctly autumn like scene.
Speckled Woods - Langley Hall 03.08.2018
Speckled Woods - Langley Hall 03.08.2018
Speckled Wood male - Langley Hall 03.08.2018
Speckled Wood male - Langley Hall 03.08.2018
Speckled Wood female - Langley Hall 03.08.2018
Speckled Wood female - Langley Hall 03.08.2018
Three Commas were also flitting about around the brambles,
Comma - Langley Hall 03.08.2018
Comma - Langley Hall 03.08.2018
Apart from the ever present whites, the only other species seen were a couple of faded Gatekeepers.

Saturday August 4th

As usual on a Saturday morning, we went and did some shopping and then did a few things around the house. By early afternoon, the temperature was once again up in the high twenties and climbing higher and although I realised that everything would either be in hyper mode of hiding in the shade, I decided to pop around to my local site at Castle Hills near Solihull.

As with most places around here now, the previously lush grass growth has turned yellow and the local clay soil has dried rock hard like concrete. Despite this a few plants seem to be coping well with the conditions including some large clumps of Birds-foot Trefoil in one of the corners where I usually look for Common Blues. Sure enough they were here today with about a dozen seen, both males and females varying from well faded to quite fresh looking.
Common Blue female - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
Common Blue female - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
Common Blue male - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
Common Blue male - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
I watched one male persistently chase a female around as she settled on various grass stems until his persistence eventually paid off.
Common Blue pair - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
Common Blue pair - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
Common Blue pair in cop - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
Common Blue pair in cop - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
I was pleased to see half a dozen Small Heath as this species continues to be of concern in Warwickshire with falling numbers reported year on year.
Small Heath - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
Small Heath - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
After an hour or so I was heading back towards my car when I spotted a small silvery flash amongst the grass. I followed it in flight until it settled and showed itself to be a Brown Argus. I have seen small numbers of these around Solihull in the past but never at this site so was really chuffed to find this one here.
Brown Argus - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
Brown Argus - Castle Hills 04.08.2018
A few faded Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers were seen but numbers of both of these have been well down around here this year, a common theme which, as I have mentioned before, seems to have affected most of the species with grass feeding larvae.

Apart from the usual whites which seemed to be mostly Small with Large and Green-veined lower numbers, the only other butterfly seen was a single Comma.

Bye for now,

Neil
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic looking Holly Blue and that female Common is a right stunner Neil :D :mrgreen: I know what you mean about the autumnal feel I keep seeing butterflies in certain poses and postures or I'm composing a shot and I have to actually remind myself that we're only just into August! :shock: :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That Gold Spot is a real beauty, Neil.

Nice to see Speckled Woods in your posts too, along with Holly Blue, which is always a pleasure to encounter at this time of year.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your shots from Arnside Knott Neil, I've never seen a Copper up there yet, I think they must but scarce this year, I've not seen one yet not even when I was down in Kent, I know they were at Dungeness but the family wouldn't go because of the heat :(
Still time yet hope fully!! Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel a few more nice female Common Blues coming up, mostly brown ones too :wink:

Thanks David, I was particularly please with that Gold Spot as everyone else seemed to be catching then around here except me :D

Thanks Goldie, I had only ever seen one Small Copper there previously as mentioned in my report, I reckon they are between broods when I usually visit as I believe they are double brooded up there unlike down south where they have three or even four broods.

Another catch up post.

Monday 6th August

A second week off work due to it being our annual summer shutdown and I had planned to get a few jobs done around the house, although I reckoned I could squeeze one or two trips as long as I didn't go too far afield. There are a couple of local spots that I am aware of but never yet visited so on Monday morning I went around to one of these.

A few years ago a new business park development was built at junction 4 of the M42 in Shirley by where you come off on the A34 towards Birmingham. This is known as Blythe Valley Business Park and the layout includes some nature trail footpaths around the back of the park that I reckoned might be worth a visit.
I arrived just before 10.00am with some initial cloud beginning to clear and the temperature again rising rapidly. I quickly found my way onto the first footpath which crossed a meadow full of dry long grass and into a stretch that passed through some woodland where I saw a few Speckled Woods. The path then came out into a more open area with a couple of ponds and meadow areas that looked more promising so I started to have a proper look around.
The first butterflies seen here were the now regular whites with examples of all three common species flying, but I also soon saw Common blues with both males and females in good numbers with some of the females in particular looking very fresh. As the morning was yet again turning into a hot one, the Common Blues were very active but there was a fair amount of knapweed still in flower here that would tempt them to land occasionally for a quick feed.

One of the male Common Blues was a tiny individual, no larger than a Small Blue, but all the others were all normal sized.
Small sized male Common Blue - Blythe Valley 06.08.2018
Small sized male Common Blue - Blythe Valley 06.08.2018
Common Blue male - Blythe Valley 06.08.2018
Common Blue female - Blythe Valley 06.08.2018
In the end I counted a minimum of 37 Common Blues in this area making it the most productive local spot for this species I have found so far.

A single male Small Copper was also darting about and the only time he stayed still for longer than a nanosecond was when a small cloud covered the sun just long enough for me to get a couple of photos which showed he had a lucky escape at some time with a bird strike on his right hind wing.
Small Copper male - Blythe Valley 06.08.2018
Small Copper male - Blythe Valley 06.08.2018
By late morning it was getting uncomfortably hot again so I headed home.

Tuesday 7th August

On Tuesday morning I had to pop out for a bit and on the way back decided to stop off at Sheldon Country Park for a quick look. This is situated at the end of the runway at Birmingham Airport where there is a viewing area that can get very busy at weekends. I used to come here but have not bothered for the past couple of years as it just gets too busy for my liking with plenty of dog walkers, a higher than usual percentage of who let their dogs run off the lead and don't care who they run at and jump up at...and no, I do not like strange dogs jumping up me no matter how friendly their owners say they are being.

Anyway, a quick half hour circuit of one of the grassy meadow areas turned up around half a dozen Common Blues, a good dozen Small Heath and a single Small Copper. With not a cloud in the sky it was yet another very warm morning so the butterflies were very active, the Small Heath being the subjects who settled the most. Given the situation with the Small Heath in Warwickshire as mentioned in my previous report I was particularly pleased to see them looking to be doing quite well here. I actually suspect that there are small populations of this species scattered all over the place, often undetected in field margins or corners of grassy areas such as this.
Small Heath - Sheldon CP 07.08.2018
Small Copper - Sheldon CP 07.08.2018
Small Copper - Sheldon CP 07.08.2018
Thursday 9th August

Between doing some painting in the house I had a couple of coffee breaks in the garden. The weather had now turned cloudier and cooler but the occasional sunny spell meant that it was still quite pleasant.
The ragwort in the garden is still attracting passing butterflies including another Holly Blue, a female that also posed briefly on a nearby shrub and allowed me to get one of the few open wing HB shots I have managed this year.
Holly Blue female - Coverdale 09.08.2018
We have also had some showers of rain over the past couple of days but so far not had any of the heavy stuff that other areas have had, although it looks like we may be in for some later this coming weekend

That brings me back up to date.

Bye for now,

Neil
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Small Heaths, Neil - maybe there are more of them hiding away than are imagined. They seem to pop up in small numbers on almost any grassy site, even managed country parks with a majority of tidied paths and green spaces. Your female Holly Blue is rather nice as well - the hot sun has kept most of the ones I see in the shade and tightly shut. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A lovely set of Brown Blues :D :mrgreen: , brown like they should be - they've obviously read the Identification guides :wink: :lol: Lovely Small Coppers as well and a cracking Holly Blue :D :mrgreen: It's kind of reassuring amongst all the tales of woe to see butterflies still present and thriving in country parks designed for us humans :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I've been a bit slow, Neil, only just spotted your female Wall Brown at the top of this page.
Great image. As Wurzel commented, great brown Blues.

Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Nice selection of Common Blues, Neil. Things starting to wane now round me, so I guess we need to make the most of it while we can?

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, great shots of the Female CB's, at Southport I saw loads , I'd never seen so many before but they were so small, did you find them so :?: Goldie :D

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Amongst all your fine pictures of the last few posts I am most envious of two. The two Speckled Woods on the Blackberries and the 2nd brood female Holly Blue with its wings open. I am especially keen on your Holly Blue because I have been chasing them about and have had no luck with a female open-wing shot. I have the spring brood female but not the summer brood.

Ernie F

Return to “Personal Diaries”