Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Pauline

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots of the BHS Pauline, :D I'm hoping to go to Gait Barrow this week-end so keeping my fingers crossed the weather holds out :D
They've had a lot of rain up there , but it makes your mouth water when you read that the Bros Streaks are out at GB and the Scotch Argus and HBF are at Arnside :D Can't Wait! :lol: Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Scotch Argus and HBF are species I'll probably never see Goldie :mrgreen: Thank you for your kind words.

Cheers Dave, Paul. What you have both said is what I was trying to express but you have done it so much better and more concise. Seems we are all of a similar mind. It is the reason these days I cross-examine folk when they tell me something new :lol: . A whole investigation follows like ' how do you know that?, Where and when did that happen?' etc etc . When we get to a point where we are trying to work out WHY a butterfly does such and such then I think much of it has to be just speculation eg the wing-rolling.

I couldn't agree more Wurzel. I am sure A. will not mind me recounting a conversation we had many years ago whilst searching for BH at Shipton. As we rounded a corner he was telling me that BH never nectar on thistle heads and there were 2 Brown Hairstreaks sitting on adjacent thistle heads! A lot was learnt that day - yes, butterflies are certainly unpredictable! With that in mind and their need for shade I have recently been searching in every nook and cranny for BH. I thought I had spotted one very high up hanging from under a leaf. It was too far to see with the naked eye so I took a shot and blew it up:
P1120765ad.jpg
It is a shame to start a new page with a photo of a dead leaf but some might say it is one of my better ones :wink: :lol:

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I had plans today but by the time I made sure all the critters were fine the heat was overwhelming. Never mind I thought, I would go to a fairly local pub and treat myself to their delicious crab and avocado salad (australian blue swimmer which has a very sweet meat) and be back to check all was OK. Sadly, the crab was just about off - I could smell it before they served it. It must be the first meal I have send back in over a decade but they were very apologetic. This meant I was able to watch the butterflies in the garden - a couple of tatty GVW egg-laying. The question is, how am I now ever going to be able to cut the grass??!!:
P1120971ad.jpg
P1120970ad.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pauline wrote:..............It is a shame to start a new page with a photo of a dead leaf ..............
I have taken quite a few of those, too. perhaps they merit a new thread :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

To be fair Pauline that it the most Brostreak leaf I've ever seen! :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Pauline wrote:..It is a shame to start a new page with a photo of a dead leaf but some might say it is one of my better ones :wink: :lol:
That is a pristine looking dead leaf Pauline :lol:

Joking aside though, it does illustrate how Brown Hairstreak underside colouration has evolved to blend in at this time of year.

All the best,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

You can be easily forgiven for mistaking that dead leaf for a butterfly, Pauline. It is positioned in just the same way as you'd expect a Hairstreak to be.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pauline
I too have taken a lot of 'leaf' shots whilst looking for hairstreaks :?
I am also curious what plant your Green-Veined White is laying her eggs on? Is it some sort of bittercress?
Your lawn looks green :shock:. Mine is dry and brown :(

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you all for your comments about my 'Brostreak' leaf :lol: I really did think it was a BH Wurzel, David - the shape, colour, markings, position, everything. You are so right Neil; I have seen them before in this sort of position, very well camouflaged, which in part was why I was fooled - just goes to show! Perhaps a new competition category Mike - the leaf most like any butterfly :wink: :lol:

Paul, when it comes to plants you're asking the wrong person but I would be interested to know. In the next day or two I shall take a better shot of the plant and perhaps yourself or someone else might be able to identify it.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Last night I put the moth trap out for what will probably be the last time this season (thank God for that I hear you say in anticipation of ID's!). Just like this time last year it was over-run with Hornets, followed by wasps - not surprising given I have a nest near the back door.
P1130090ad.jpg
Amazingly there were no casualties this year (unlike that poor Burnished Brass) and there were some interesting moths. Unfortunately, because it was so warm (even at 5.45am) several that I was quite interested in flew off. These included the lovely Blood Vein which I commented on in Neil's diary. It was in immaculate condition but sadly no photo. The other I think might have been a Purple Clay - only a blurred shot. There were some lovely little micro moths (I know!!!!!! Am I getting dragged in? :lol: ). I do like this one - I have had it before and Maurice informed me it was Rhyacionia Pinicolana:
P1130071ad.jpg
The next one I THINK is a Marbled Orchard Tortrix (or perhaps Plum?):
P1130077ad.jpg
I've no idea what this one is but it was very striking:
P1130038ad.jpg
My favourite however was this Pale Prominent. I don't recall having seen this before except in Neil's diary (did you ever think it would be used for educational purposes?). I think it deserves a couple of shots:
P1130059ad.jpg
P1130013ad.jpg
I'm not sure what this one is either. I've looked but can't see anything similar. I'm not sure why I was attracted to it among the various 'Beauties', Flame Shoulders etc but it was quite appealing:
P1130081ad.jpg

bailey1409

Post by bailey1409 »

Hi Pauline

The last image looks like a Bee moth, a micro although it is large for a micro.

Not sure about the other micros, not my area of expertise, sorry. Too many look a likes.

Nice images.

Cheers

Maurice

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'd go for Bee Moth as well Pauline :D ,but for the others not a Scooby sorry :? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

You've got some interesting visitors to your moth traps, Pauline. Glad to know the hornets behaved themselves this time.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I certainly struggle with the ID's David so I really appreciate your help Wurzel and Maurice. I don't know how that Bee moth can call itself a micro tho! - it was larger than some of the macros :? I see what you mean Maurice about too many variables.. I thought one of them might have been a Bud moth as I see from photos that they vary considerably ....... and then I thought it might be something called Pammene Fasciana .... and then I remembered why I tend to steer clear of micros :lol: I even get the macros wrong - as you well know :roll: I have decided that the one I got a poor shot of was in fact a Ruby Tiger and not Purple Clay :oops:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

From my observations on Noar Hill I had concluded that although the BH had emerged earlier this year the unusually high and prolonged heat had interrupted and postponed their usual activities. Their first need, that of survival, meant they needed to seek shade, resulting in fewer individuals (males) being spotted. The second need (or driving force), that of procreation, may or may not have been affected by the heat. However, the males have been out a couple of weeks now and it was my prediction that egg-laying would begin in earnest this week. Because of the heat my fear was that the females would dive down into the depths of the Blackthorn, lay their eggs, and either rest there in the shade or shoot straight back up to the trees, in which case we are unlikely to see too many females. In fact that is exactly what was happening today. I watched 2 females do exactly that. It would have been so easy to overlook them and almost impossible to photograph. The first one I saw about 11.45am was in really good condition when she flew down onto a nettle leaf and stayed there for less time than it took me to switch on my camera!! :roll: I only got one poor photo of her and her egg before she was back up:
P1130094ad.jpg
P1130107ad.jpg
If the weather forecast for the end of the week is correct then hopefully we may see more of them.

A few of the butterflies are looking a bit worn now but there were plenty of fresh ones around including Small Heath. Normally lying around on the ground all the ones I saw were up away from the hot earth which prompted this shot:
P1130112ad.jpg
Vibrant Common Blue all over the place with tiny females, many the size of Small Blue, egg-laying and some fresh Speckled Wood:
P1130110ad.jpg
A couple of Small Copper (my first here this year) were chasing each other and anything else which came within range but by now the sun was just too hot for any further exploration.
P1130115ad.jpg
P1130113ad.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I know what you mean about the Brostreaks Pauline - the females have been very surreptitious this year. It almost seems that the heat has slowed things down as almost three weeks after their first sighting at Shipton I was still seeing fresh looking males, normally after that amount of time they're in a right old state :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Interesting comments on Brown Hairstreaks, Pauline. You'd have thought 2018 would be a bonanza year for them, given prolonged near perfect conditions in the early stages, However, suppressed adult numbers thus far seem to contradict this, and it will be fascinating to see how this species reacts and behaves over the next few weeks.
Last edited by David M on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

You really have got some great sights and shots of the BH Pauline. I also like your SSS's, moths and lovely Small Heath shot. :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm hoping that with some cooler weather in the next few days they might be a bit easier to spot Wurzel :) :)

As you know David I monitored quite a number of BH larva this year and I am fairly certain they pupated early due to their size and early disappearance. I had mentioned a couple of times that I expected an early emergence because of this. As you rightly point out the weather conditions were ideal. I don't think the numbers that have emerged have necessarily suffered as a result of the heat - rather it is the sightings that have decreased as the butterflies remain in the shade. Hopefully, with slightly cooler weather on the cards in the coming days we may get a better idea of numbers. I am looking forward to reading reports from Steyning as this is a much later site for BH than Noar Hill and if the temperature drops as predicted it will be interesting to make comparisons.

Cheers Andrew. I have seen a few interesting things this season which I haven't seen before and it is exactly that which keeps me interested.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I had some sad news yesterday so just had to get out among the butterflies. I chose the SSS for no other reason than because they were close by. I took a few shots whilst I was there - not to demonstrate anything or illustrate anything, just because I was enjoying watching them. I didn't even count them although I was aware there were both male and female around:
P1130139ad.jpg
P1130138ad.jpg
P1130120ad.jpg
P1130126ad.jpg
P1130134ad.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”