Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Katrina, Wurzel and David.

Owing to the heat, which I am not particularly a fan of, I have not ventured far
since my visit to Windover hill on Monday.
I did however pop along to the old railway this morning, as it is quite shady there.
Apart from a Comma and a Holly Blue, only Whites and Speckled Woods were around in any numbers.
One Specklie did, to me, sum up the heatwave by perching on a withered seed head.

I have also included a couple more images of the views from Windover hill, and some more
shots of the many Chalkhill Blues that were present.
Attachments
P1180711.JPG
P1180633.JPG
P1180604.JPG
P1180609.JPG
Another misty view on the way to the top
Another misty view on the way to the top
The Dieppe ferry, and the White Horse at High and Over
The Dieppe ferry, and the White Horse at High and Over
The full panorama once the mist had cleared
The full panorama once the mist had cleared

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I recognise that last shot, Trev-I was there last Wednesday!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of Chalkhills Trevor :D :mrgreen: I saw a fresh Wall today so next time you're down this way you might want to check the graveyard :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Chalkhills are putting on quite a show, Trevor, but where are all the Holly Blues after such a strong spring emergence?

There have been hardly any this summer and I wonder whether their parasitic cycle is beginning to suppress their numbers?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Mark. Yes, fabulous views and lots of Butterflies.
Wurzel, I will be in Wilts from Aug.5th, for about a week, I'll PM you if I find any.
David, There are Holly Blues around here, I get almost daily fly-pasts over my garden.

Hope you are all keeping cool, fireworks this evening apparently.
Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I set out very early again this morning, this time for the gentler climb to Malling Down.
My target species was the Silver Spotted Skipper.
Whilst driving over to Lewes I realised that I had miscalculated the rising Sun on a west facing slope,
sure enough this hillside remained in shade for over an hour after arrival :oops: .
The first SSS did not appear until 07.45, and the few that followed chose to warm up on the ground.
I was after some shots of them on Scabious, and by the time they started to search for nectar,
it was getting too hot for yours truly. The Silver Spots were not found in large numbers,
but several eventually obliged for the camera.

Fortunately I parked the car in the shade,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1180733.JPG
P1180728.JPG
P1180721.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of Silver-spots Trevor :D Parking in the shade is a great idea 8) Hoping for a PM :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I met Dave Cook in Burgess Hill this morning for a Brown Hairstreak hunt.
Two females were seen, I only caught sight of one, neither were keen to pose for the camera
Several Ash trees contained both Purple and Brown Hairstreaks but none came down low.
We were rewarded with several, fresh, Brown Argus which were willing to pose.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1180742.JPG
P1180749.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear of the Brostreaks acting all prima donna like :roll: Are those two shots of the same butterfly Trevor as the second, closed wing shot shows a Common Blue? :? Cracking shots both :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

This evening I went over to Rowland wood and Park Corner Heath.
I met Gary Norman relaxing in the low evening Sun, who told me of several Small Pearls he'd seen earlier.
But for me they proved elusive, but I did find a surprisingly large number of roosting Common Blues.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1190764.JPG
P1190762.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love the second shot Trevor :D , she looks a bit left out :(
Good luck with the next Small pearl foray :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

A shame you missed out on the second round of Sussex Small Pearls, Trevor. I wondered if there would be a few after the good first showing. Will you try again?

Cheers,

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel & Dave,

Yes I will try again, the site is very local.
Next time I will make sure there is a memory card in the camera :oops: .
Fortunately the camera's internal memory coped last evening.

Trevor.

PS. Gary Norman photographed a pristine Clouded Yellow there yesterday.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Lovely SS Blue pics, Trevor. I have only managed one shot of this species so far this year and that was only luck. They really do love that Scabious don't they?

Ernie F
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Wow Trevor! lovely shots, I hope you find those Pearls, I didn't know they were able to have a second brood. :D Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

LUCKY WITH THE LADIES !.

This afternoon we had some thin high cloud, which didn't reduce the heat much,
but I thought might help to obtain some ' softer ' Butterfly images.
I drove over to Rowland wood, then walked over to the large patch of Fleabane.
This area has been excellent in past years as a feeding station for Clouded Yellows,
and any species passing through, as well as the local residents.

Today a magnificent, lone, Painted Lady was taking advantage of the plentiful nectar.
She was absolutely fresh and scale perfect, and reasonably accomodating , by that I mean
it took half an hour to get twenty shots !, better that than one shot and gone !.

Hope you enjoy.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1180805.JPG
P1180806.JPG
P1180825.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Trevor :D Their numbers have been picking up over recent days, fingers crossed that some of their distantly related yellow cousins will come with them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning I walked up to St. Peters Church, in Great Cheverell, Wilts to look for Wall Browns.
My first two Butterflies were a Red Admiral, and a brand new Speckled Wood, both warming up
in the early morning Sun.
My fears that Walls were now absent from this site were dispelled when a lone male was spotted
on the Church wall. More males appeared as if from nowhere as the Sun gained strength.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1180877.JPG
P1180885.JPG
P1180893.JPG
P1180933.JPG
P1180908.JPG
P1180936.JPG
P1180911.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Trevor :D :mrgreen: Unfortunately I can't make it over this week as plans have been made for me :roll: :( Hopefully they'll still be around in a week or two :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Glad to see those Walls are back again, Trevor! Will you see a female this time - I'm sure I remember you saying they were all males last year... :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”