Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Whilst I have been looking for PH and SSS and BH I have been coming across other stuff so I shall post it now before I forget about it. I shall start off with what I believe is a Drinker moth discovered at Oxenbourne. I've not had one of these in the trap before - probably too big to get in! :lol: :
P1110952ad.jpg
... and then there was the Small Coppers. Allan, Hoggers and others might be surprised to know that I have seen the grand sum of 5 in total this season!!!!! I tried to emulate Katrina's lovely image of a SC and failed miserably:
P1110713ad.jpg
P1110980ad.jpg
P1110940ad.jpg
and nor could I match her glowing Chalkhills posted a little while back:
P1110972ad.jpg
I found this poor creature which I thought was dead but he wasn't. Perhaps the kindest thing would have been to finish him off but I can't do that so I just placed him somewhere safe out of harms way:
P1110922ad.jpg
A Brown Argus recorded as it is the first one I have seen this year (unless there was another half dozen I have forgotten about!!! :roll: ):
P1110789ad.jpg
...and at last I managed to snatch a quick snap of one of the many Whites which just keep flitting from flowere to flower. Although very picturesque it can also be very frustrating:
P1110976ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:A Brown Argus recorded as it is the first one I have seen this year (unless there was another half dozen I have forgotten about!!!
Have you posted the wrong image, Pauline? That doesn't look like a Brown Argus to me.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks David - that is certainly a Common Blue female. I have other images of both sides of her. I'll sort out the other one when I get back from the vet.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely dusky Small Copper Pauline :D Hope things went okay at the Vets :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:Thanks David - that is certainly a Common Blue female. I have other images of both sides of her. I'll sort out the other one when I get back from the vet.
No worries, Pauline. I too have been guilty lately of hastily labelled images. :(

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Bear with me folks. I am trying to keep too many balls in the air at once. I saw and photographed a Brown Argus but seem to have deleted it. Things didn't go too well at the vet Wurzel (thanks for asking) - I have read that SSS have been out at Broughton since 11/7 :shock: and BH at Shipton almost a week ago (I shall be there soon hopefully). I didn't find any on a quick look round NH this am but there were some lovely Peacocks, female DGF and a huge, pristine Painted Lady which would not allow me anywhere near so all shots on full zoom and heavily cropped:
P1120324ad.jpg
P1120288ad.jpg
P1120317ad.jpg
I know how easy it is for a Grayling to 'disappear' but a Painted Lady is a huge, mobile brightly coloured creature but can you spot it?
P1120294ad.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote: I know how easy it is for a Grayling to 'disappear' but a Painted Lady is a huge, mobile brightly coloured creature but can you spot it?
Right in the middle of the image, Pauline (although it's rear-end on so you can't see much of it)!

I guess hemp agrimony blends well with a Painted Lady's ground colour.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was shocked to hear about the SSS being out for so long at Broughton - things have gone a bit hectic this year :shock: These butterflies are sneaky, not only do they have cryptic camo but they also orientate themselves in the least revealing way possible :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Exactly so David - amazing camouflage!

It has been a strange year for butterflies, that's for sure Wurzel :shock:

Before my next post I would just like to introduce you to Bramble and Berry - yes, I have increased my flock from 2 to 4 and how pleased I am with them even tho' they are only 15 weeks old:
P1120353ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Yesterday I had another first. It was the first time I have ever been to Shipton Bellinger and not seen a single Brown Hairstreak. A couple of observers had seen a few earlier before they retreated to the shade, hanging under leaves. I did wonder why the Gatekeepers, of similar size and colour to the Hairstreaks, seemed relatively unconcerned by the sweltering temperatures. The only shot I took was of these 2 Brimstone:
P1120342ad.jpg
I had a couple of appointments this morning so it was not until much later that I was able to visit Noar Hill. Given the lack of sightings yesterday I was not expecting much but I stopped by the large Beech, more to catch my breath in the sweltering heat and seek some shade than anything else. I was about to move on when I noticed something fluttering by my feet and I watched in astonishment as I realised it was a Brown Hairstreak taking up minerals. I have not ever seen that before. I had the camera on the wrong setting, I was on the wrong side of the butterfly for the light, but I grabbed a shot anyway. As I did so I realised there was another one in the grass on the side of the track. I tried to adjust my settings but as I did so they both flew up the track. I lost one but sprinted after the other (yes, up hill in that heat and they can move incredibly quickly!). Every so often it would touch down for a couple of seconds, just like the PE's then carry on a few inches from the ground. For those who know the site I followed it up to the top gate by which time I was shattered. Not sure this shot is worth all the effort but it was all I got:
P1120487ad.jpg
I carried on into the site where I found another couple. Usually, when a BH comes down to nectar it is relatively easy to get a few shots but today I had to be quick as they were only spending a few seconds down on the Hemp Agrimony and then flying back up into the shade. Consequently, some of these shots aren't great but with temperatures forecast to reach 35 by the end of the week I am not confident I will see any more:
P1120501ad.jpg
P1120500ad.jpg
P1120490ad.jpg
P1120494ad.jpg
P1120500ad.jpg

No sign of any second brood Dukes so I strolled along to see the Rufus Grasshoppers which were also very active in the heat:
P1120504ad.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Those chickens are adorable, Pauline (very like the Cream Legbars we have in Abergavenny).

The Brown Hairstreaks are equally luscious. It's hard to believe they're on the wing so early, so it's now incumbent on all of us to get out and see them before they burn themselves out like so many other species seem to be doing right now!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Thanks for the tip off about the Brostreaks Pauline. I'm doing a recce there tomorrow afternoon and then I'm hoping to visit on Thursday so I'll aim to get there by 10ish before it gets too hot :) Interesting to see the behaviour shot, these are strange times in deed :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm looking forward to my blue eggs David :D

Cheers Wurzel - we were there well before 10.00am and by all accounts were way too late. It was incredibly hot even then. Having said that, my visit to Noar Hill was at a much later time. Good luck!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Keen to monitor the situation at Noar Hill in this extreme and unusual weather I had intended another trip this morning. However, events conspired against me and by the time I got there it was after mid-day and blisteringly hot. Many butterflies were extremely active but I had no sightings of the BH. After about 40 mins I could no longer see properly as the sweat was dripping into my eyes, making them sting, so I decided to call it a day. I made my way down the track and almost trod on a butterfly that was slow to move. Today I was a bit quicker to recognise it as a Brown Hairstreak as it flew over a Hazel bush but there was another still on the ground. I don't know if these were the same 2 from yesterday but it was in about the same place at about the same sort of time. It wasn't quite as flighty today but I still couldn't get close and after a few shots it, too, flew up into some Hazel. Anyway, these are the shots:
P1120539ad.jpg
P1120540ad.jpg
P1120541ad.jpg
P1120542cd.jpg
P1120543ad.jpg
I also saw a couple of Purple Hairstreaks flying low in Oak but I was distracted for a second by an orange butterfly which turned out not to be a BH and I lost them!

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Great BH shots, Pauline. If I can bear the heat I shall try an early afternoon visit.

Ernie F
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Be sure to take plenty of water with you Ernie as it's going to be even hotter tomorrow :shock: If the heat doesn't get you the ticks most surely will as each time I visit I have been covered in them :twisted:

It is almost a week since I visited Oxenbourne when I saw just a single SSS. Having been informed that 6 individuals were reported as being on the wing I was feeling a little more optimistic. Some might remember that I have been expressing concerns about this site for several years now. The area suitable for the SSS is getting smaller and smaller. When I contacted the relevant bodies last year I was advised that a 3-pronged approach was planned to better manage the site, but I fear any work that may have been/will be carried out will be too little, too late. I made a return visit later this afternoon and compared to Noar Hill I was surprised at just how few butterflies were on the wing. The number of Chalkhill has dropped massively in the last week and the Small Skippers have all but disappeared. I watched all that egg-laying a week ago but I wonder how protected their eggs will be in grass that is frazzled with the heat of the sun. Anyway, back to the SSS. I was only there a short while but could only confirm sightings of 2 males. Let's hope things improve here:
P1120562ad.jpg
P1120559ad.jpg
P1120553ad.jpg

trevor

Post by trevor »

How unusual to see Brown Hairstreaks on the ground, great shots.
Wonderful Silver Spotted Skipper images too.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of Silver-spots Pauline :D :mrgreen: Shipton was productive today despite the heat but you to look further afield than just the Hedge :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:I'm looking forward to my blue eggs David
Yes, they're quite something aren't they, Pauline? I've taken a few into work and my colleagues look at me in bewilderment when I insist they're chicken eggs! :D

Well done with the Silver Spotted Skippers & Brown Hairstreaks. Hopefully numbers will increase over the next week or so to give us a fitting swansong to the 'regular' season.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely stuff Pauline, great Brostreak shots, and I like your Silver-washed selection. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”