philm63

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: philm63

Post by David M »

It's a funny time of year, Phil, as many species look to be on their last legs whilst others are just emerging and look pristine.

Whichever way you look at things, in a month's time all will begin to look a bit stale so best that we make the most of it while we can.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
philm63

Post by philm63 »

Cheers Wurzel and David
The weather finally broke here yesterday and we had some rain, torrential over the York area I believe

There appear to be whites everywhere at the moment. Just driving back and forth to work, or around the house, you can see whites floating by almost continuously

There is also a Holly Blue frequenting the bottom of the cul-de-sac where I live. I have now seen it patrolling the tree-line on three occasions in the past week. Have yet to spot it in the back garden, though. Hoping it will stop at some moment when I am in the vicinity

15 July 2018

Glovershaw - Afternoon

It was my first chance to get out since last weekend. There were a number of options available as to where, but I chose Glovershaw for an ulterior motive that will become apparent as I go on. I do not usually come to this site between June and August
Parked up on Pennithorn Hill and set off to crest the hill and drop down to Golcar fields via the southern golf greens. It was hot but there was some cloud that gave respite at times, and the wind was fresh. I was surprised that the area was very quiet, few golfers or walkers (World Cup and Wimbledon finals???)
In the first 15 minutes I was regretting my decision. The odd white was blown across, as was the occasional Ringlet. I only had a few Meadow Pipits popping up and down in the bracken. Once down from the hill, the wind eased and things improved a little, heading to Golcar fields I came across more whites and Ringlets, but little else. These fields reverberated to the sight and sound of breeding waders a few weeks ago, now the grass is longer and there was very little to see as the birds have finished breeding and moved on. This area is good for passage migrants but it will be a few weeks before that begins, when the greens will regularly hold Wheatears and locally the occasional Whinchat, Redstart and flycaycher can be seen, in addition warblers fatten up in the bracken patches ready for the journey south
I cut across to the wall at the bottom of the hill, next to the horse training area, and headed towards Sconce. Not a single thing on the wall and very little else around. Coming to the first corner the path then does a 90 degree turn by a small private plantation, the slope down to the plantation is a mass of bracken. A smaller footpath cuts down that way to the gate (there is no entry allowed into the plantation itself), with the tall bracken making it seem like you are walking through a rain forest at times. There were Ringlets and Meadow Browns weaving away through the bracken. Near the gate I had an unidentified Hawker that would not land. Coming back up to the main path on a separate footpath, the bracken was still seemingly alive with browns and the occasional Reed Bunting
Back on the main path I continued towards Sconce, the path then passes a small collection of “holiday homes”. Some very basic cabins, but they have some trees around which provide good cover. Along here are patches of bramble and other bushes between the path and the wall, on the other side a more extensive open area with the occasional golf green and lots of moorland vegetation. These bramble patches were being well-used by groups of Ringlets, some fresher looking than others; and also small groups of Small Skippers. Soon after I started seeing Small Heaths at the side of the path or settling on it, in the end I saw 20+ of these, so this is the best area locally that I have yet discovered. The path then turns at right-angles again and drops down the slope before angling east again. Two big bramble patches down here held lots of browns and more Small Skippers
As the path angles east there is a big bracken patch between here and the wall at the bottom of the slope, this was the reason I had chosen Glovershaw today – my first indication I was in luck was a sound that was similar to a fishing reel being used or a very noisy cricket. Not long after I got my first glimpse – a Grasshopper Warbler. In 15 minutes I saw it twice more as it popped up then disappeared again, but no photos
Soon after I set off back to the car, and the hard tiring climb back up Pennithorn Hill to the car park
Today, from the path alone I must have seen 300+ Ringlets, so the population here must number in the thousands. Also seen today – Comma, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and all three common whites

Back home I went to sit in the back garden and review my photos of the day, when a fresh Red Admiral landed on the developing buddleia blooms, a year first, and that was joined by a fresh Comma; a sign of things to come hopefully

Phil

This is the view from the far side of Pennithorn Hill looking north. In the far distance is Ilkley (Rombalds) Moor. In the middle-distance is the wall I walk along, beyond that is the horse-training area. The Golcar fields area is to the left where the wall does a right angle, the golf green at the left bottom of the hill is a favourite with Wheatears and Sconce is to the right along the wall but not in the photo
IMG_0785.JPG
IMG_0760.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The minute you said 'fishing reel' I knew what your ulterior motive was :D :mrgreen: I was lucky enough to visit Poland a fair few years ago where there were River Warblers that sing like a sowing machine :shock: :D With that there was also a Grasshopper and a Savi's (which sounds like a tape recorder rewinding) so it was a right cacophony :roll: :lol: Great set of shots of the Butterflies.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

philm63 wrote:..The weather finally broke here yesterday and we had some rain, torrential over the York area I believe...
To be honest, Phil, I don't think that's a bad thing. This morning in Swansea there were black rain clouds over the hills and I was wishing that they would gravitate towards the Gower....no such luck, but 10 miles inland there was serious rain which will have been very welcome.

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Cheers Wurzel
I agree David, we have had another spell of rain, but not anything major. The vegetation is showing this lack of rain now

21 July

Late morning

I had the day off and was looking after the two great grandsons. Initially took them up to the play area at St Ives. Behind the swings was a patch of bramble and as I pushed the boys I kept an eye open – Large White, Small white, Green-veined White, a fresh Peacock, Meadow Brown and the highlight a Small Copper. Managed to get a few shots
Once they had had their fill of the play area we popped to the nearby garden centre in Harden for the ice cream parlour – inside flitting amongst the blooms were two more fresh Peacocks and a Comma
Then down into Bingley for a haircut and the obligatory comics for the boys, and here a Holly Blue was patrolling the river-line next to the market car park
As has been the case of late there were whites flittering about all day and all over the area
IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG

22 July

Local patch - Afternoon

My garden is seeing up to 7 whites at a time but as yet not many aristos, and the (a) Holly Blue is still around and avoiding my camera
All my jobs done by early afternoon so could pop out. Decided to do my local patch again, have not been around it since the good weekend on the 7 – 8 July. It was still very warm but mainly overcast, with the odd sunny spell, there was a steady breeze which was strong at times (and made some photography difficult as the vegetation swung from side to side)
There were still whites moving about the area but not as many as previously, also saw two Peacocks and a Small Tortoiseshell. No Ringlets at all, and that was a foretaste of the entire walk
Arriving at the copse this was a bit quieter than previous weeks, and nearly all the bramble blooms have gone, but still some decent stands of thistle and ragwort. The obligatory whites were about, a Holly Blue was patrolling, two Speckled Woods were in aerial combat and two Small Coppers were surveying their territory close to the path flying up at passing butterflies, so I presume both were males. Looking at the images I think both are showing a bit of blue on the hindwings. Still no Ringlets and oddly no Meadow Browns either, and no sign of the Gatekeepers
Started off down the bridleway and here saw my first Meadow Browns today, but only a few and added a Comma and a Peacock in addition to all three commoner whites. It appears to be still a bit early for Wall up here as none were showing as this is a prime site for them, again no Ringlets
Turned down to do the Eldwick Reservoir area and this was probably the best part today, of course the obligatory whites; plus Peacock, a few Meadow Browns, around five Small Coppers, a single battered Ringlet, a few Small Tortoiseshells, at least two Gatekeepers, Comma and a single Small Skipper – surprised as that was the only Skipper seen today
The male Gatekeeper was a pugnacious little devil patrolling the vegetation alongside the track above the reservoir and attacking anything and everything he passed, managed to get a shot on onme of his brief pauses, another one I photographed nectaring was much larger and I suspect it was a female
Returned home the same route in reverse and added nothing new, did get a chance to take shots of a fresher Small Copper in the copse
As mentioned in other diaries, a lot of the butterflies are perching with wings closed all the time, is this due to the heat as they have no need to warm up
Considering this walk was heaving with butterflies two weeks ago, it was a lot different today

Phil
IMG_0848.JPG
Little Owl patrolling the fields
Little Owl patrolling the fields
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0857.JPG
The small copse from the Heights Lane entrance
The small copse from the Heights Lane entrance
IMG_0869.JPG
A Kestrel preening after a hunt
A Kestrel preening after a hunt
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG
IMG_0942.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Some nice Copper shots recently, Phil - but that Little Owl stands out as special.

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Little Owl is a cracker as is the Kestrel shot, it looks like there's something just out of shot that it's not best pleased to see :wink: :D Your Small Coppers are blue bedecked/blue badgers :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous sequence, Phil, especially with the inclusion of the birds of prey.

Whilst the landscape looks grim vegetation-wise, the butterflies keep on giving.

At this late stage of summer though, there's nothing to be gained by a continuation of such hot, dry conditions. Right now, I'm praying for a short cool, wet spell otherwise I fear that 2019 may turn into an annus horriblis for our winged friends. :(

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Cheers Ernie and Wurzel
I agree David, we had a good drenching last weekend, but another hot week has dried it all up again. I am noticing a lack of some species at the moment. Must admit I selfishly hope it lasts till at least next week as I have some time off work and I have some plans afoot

On the 27 July I was over in Heckmondwike. My granddaughter has a sunken back garden and up on the slope above one of the walls is a substantial growth of ivy, I was surprised when I went out there as it had three Holly Blues on it. No camera though, I was back there the following day with my camera but that was one of the wet ones, and I only briefly saw a single Holly Blue

On the 3 August I was leaving work in the afternoon and as I came out the back of the building to go to the car a Gatekeeper landed on the grass slope there

Despite the area around and in the city having masses of buddleia in bloom there is nothing showing on them at all except the occasional white, where are all the aristos?
Two to three weeks ago Small Torts were reasonably common and Peacocks were beginning to show, but in the last week literally nothing. Even on the buddleias in the garden I am only seeing the ever-present Whites

Sunday 5 August

Local patch - afternoon

Today was my first chance to get out for two weeks. Last weekend we had heavy rain over both days, which has made the grass a bit greener but little else it appears. I decided to do the local patch and see how it had changed over two weeks; and if the Walls were out yet. It was sunny and hot but with increasing cloud cover, so it was a case of butterflies appearing and disappearing depending on the light, with a fresh SW it could feel cool when the sun was behind the clouds
I decided to do the full circuit today so that meant haeding out to Prince of Wales Park first. This section of the walk was accompanied by many whites with at least 25 Large Whites and a larger number not assigned to species, also a patrolling Holly Blue. Coming up the slope to the bit of heath the slope there was cleared of bracken to hopefully promote some plant growth, not too successful yet but there were a few heather plants and these were holding at least two Small Coppers. I then went round the heath along the tree-line and that added around 7 Speckled Woods
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG
Up the road and got onto Heights Lane at the Eldwick end. From here to the copse I saw a few whites but little else except a close meeting with a hen Pheasant that decided to try and hide instead of running
IMG_1010.JPG
The copse is now a lot quieter as all the thistles are gone to seed with only a few blooms left. The commoner whites were around, plus four Speckled Woods and there were still a few Small Coppers showing
IMG_1012.JPG
Down onto the bridleway and that was quiet, besides whites I saw two speckled Woods and a Holly Blue investigating the ivy on one of the houses. It seemed the Walls were not out and still no aristos
Along the path to Eldwick Reservoir, still no Walls and no aristos either. The usual whites and a solitary battered Meadow Brown. I went over the gate and along the path at the edge of the reservoir, more whites. On the way back I had a sunny spell and that brought out a few Speckled Woods and a Holly Blue went by. Heading back to the bridleway saw a Little Owl watching me from a patch of wood
IMG_1024.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
Bach up the bridleway and at last a single brief view of a Wall as it went over a wall, waited but it did not return. Back up onto Heights Lane and up to the Heights. Coming onto the open stretch that follows I saw another Wall at the road edge, got a few shots and some strange looks from passing cars; that was followed by a passing Small Tortoiseshell. Further on by the tank field I began seeing more Walls, in total about 5 or more. They were hugging the other, non-sun side of the wall in the fields on that side, a Small Copper was also seen
IMG_1043.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
Turned into Walsh Lane and saw more whites, a Speckled Wood and another Wall that went over into a field. A Red Kite was duelling with a Kestrel in the sky nearby

So the last few hundred yards home along Lady Lane and I was winding down. Got to the College Road junction about 50 yards from home and saw a large butterfly land on the verge. It was a stunning Painted Lady, looking very fresh. So ignoring the passers-by and traffic I was down on the grass shooting a good few images. It then moved onto a buddleia-like bush nearby
IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1081.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
Feeling a happy-chappy I headed home, as I approached the porch a Holly Blue went by without stopping. This is the best year I have had for sightings of this blue, but it still eludes my camera

Phil

millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see some more inland Wall Browns, and that's a great-looking Painted Lady, Phil. Locally grown by the fresh appearance. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking Painted Lady Phil :D :mrgreen: As Dave says good to see an in-land Wall, something of a rarity these days :D If you're after Holly Blue shots then 'millerd' is your man, he might pass on some of Holly Blue Whispering tips :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Just love your Little Owl, Phil, and the Painted Lady is a beautiful salmon-like shade. I also like the Small Copper in your earlier post, which is so ragged that it could almost pass as a Comma!

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Cheers Dave – It didn’t occur to me till you mentioned it that the Painted Lady is probably too fresh a specimen to be a migrant. We are well-inland and quite northerly here and it would have had to be very lucky to get to that point in that condition. It most likely was, as you say, the next generation from a pair that bred locally earlier in the spring / summer, although it was my first for 2018
Walls seem to be doing well here, I usually see them on the bridleway / reservoir section. Along the bridleway the walls are quite high and it forms a sheltered corridor of sorts, last year I had 8 in about half-a mile, then additional odd ones on the rest of my circuit, but the areas are all inter-connected by fields. This year, so far, the majority are on another side of that general field area where I normally only see the occasional one. It is a lovely butterfly and, with its habit of perching on the sides of walls, normally quite obliging to being photographed
Cheers Wurzel. As can be seen below I got my shots in the end
Cheers David. I am very luck with Little Owls. A pair hold territory a 10 minute walk from my house, and perch on a wall there frequently ( I had 3 on the wall one day). Another family (possibly two) have a territory on Heights Lane not that far away, and another family have a territory near Eldwick Reservoir, so it is a poor walk on my patch when I do not see at least one. A quick glance at my Little Owl folder shows I have nearly 350 saved images in there, compared to only 20 for Tawny

Tuesday 7 August
Heckmondwike – early evening

Both Mon and Tues afternoon I was over at my granddaughter’s in Heckmondwike. She is preparing to move house and I was dropping things off and collecting others, before shooting back to work to collect the wife. As a result I had no time to pop into her back garden and wait for the Holly Blues to appear that I had seen earlier. Yesterday I came out with a load and put it in the boot and as I looked up, twenty yards away I could see two Holly Blues along a short stretch of ivy on the wall in front of me. Well I was chuffed as there in the boot was my camera. One of them landed, and I approached begging it not to fly; and it obliged. So got a few male Holly Blue shots before it moved away
Thinking about it later it raised a question which I hope someone can answer. It concerns the one that keeps eluding me at home. Looking at my records I first saw a Holly Blue in the garden area on the 12 July, the last sighting was on the 5 August, that is 24 days between the dates. It always seems to follow a general route doing a circuit around the 5 gardens at the bottom of the cul-de-sac, and I never saw more than one. I had presumed it was the same butterfly but thinking about it I believe that most butterfly individuals would not live that length of time (with the exception of the hibernating species of course). Is it possible that this is the same Holly Blue or have I more likely been seeing more than one individual patrolling the same area

Phil
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad you got the Holly Blue shots in the end Phil :D I had a quick google but it didn't turn up anything much about how long Holly Blues live. I know that Black Haistreaks can hang around for only a week or so so perhaps there were at least two individuals. Nature is generally efficient so a new butterfly in an area would pretty quickly work out the most effective route which could explain why they showed the same behaviour? This is just conjecture while avoiding a trawl round Ikea mind :wink: so I'm such someone in a more conducive environ will come up with a more detailed explanation :)
Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

After a good spring, Holly Blues have been rather infrequent during their second brood, so thanks for sharing those images, Phil. At least I now know that they are thriving somewhere!

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Cheers Wurzel and Dave
I have seen the Holly Blue around the garden area once more since, but not in the last few days. I am of the opinion now that the butterflies seen equate to more than one individual

Mon 13 August - Bingley

Not at work this week, but Monday was lost to moving my grand-daughter. The wife had gone round their new place early, and I was watching the oldest great grandson till we also went around after a collection from our place
In the morning whilst in the room I spotted a number of whites out in the garden and popped out, whilst stood looking a small butterfly landed on the shrubs over the back garden fence, it was a Small Copper, a first for my garden. Luckily enough I had the camera in my hand
The rest of the day was a washout as heavy rain started falling in the afternoon
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG

The weather forecast for the week was nothing like I had hoped for when I booked my week off, predominantly overcast and cooler with increasing winds, so I adapted my plans accordingly

Tues 14 August - Fairburn Ings RSPB Reserve, near Castleford

The RSPB Reserve at Fairburn is a delight at the right time, but I would be arriving early to avoid the M62 at peak. It was due to be an overcast day and that would limit things on the butterfly front, as of late I noticed most now start appearing mid to late morning. I did have two brightish spells but in the main, the skies did not promise a butterfly full day
I parked up at Lin Dyke and left the car there, deciding to cover as much ground as I felt capable of. Initially walked along the road to the Flashes. The main flash was awkward as the light was shining from the wrong side for photography. It was fruitful though with two Spoonbill (second year of breeding here), a handful of Black-tailed Godwits and a Common Sandpiper all showing well, a few Common Terns were fishing over the water, and there were grebes and ducks to pan through. There are also a few Little Egrets in attendance on the reserve and one was visible along here, with Cormorants passing back and forth. Just a single white seen
Walked back down the road and onto Lin Dyke, after it opens out to the next bunch of flashes it was obvious the low water levels would make viewing difficult as everything was well away from the screens and hide. Much the same seen with a few whites, a Gatekeeper and a Meadow Brown
Followed Lin Dyke round to Hickson's and very little new, then across onto the embankment running along the riverline. Lots and lots of suitable plants but no Common Blues, but another worn Meadow Brown. Further along the whole area widens and there are a few lakes - Bittern, Bearded Tit and Black-necked Grebe all breed here, but none seen today I think, however, I photographed some juvenile grebes I have yet to look over
Dropped down to the reserve centre the pond here was totally devoid of water, but the bushes and area produced a few more whites and a Speckled Wood
Returned to the car the same route in reverse, it was getting warmer by now but not brighter. By now a few hawkers were flying around and a few damselflies were showing, going back up Lin Dyke I started clocking Speckled Woods with ten seen, and a Small Copper was also showing
A lot of miles walked, and some good birds, but none of the hoped for butterflies; and very disappointing for dragonflies at what is usually a reliable site. You cannot control the weather, I really should have made the trip here two or three weeks ago

Phil
Spoonbill
Spoonbill
Black-tailed Godwit
Black-tailed Godwit
Common Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
IMG_1156.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG
Male Common Blue Damselfly
Male Common Blue Damselfly
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Great bird pics, Phil. I haven't seen a Spoonbill for a good few years now.

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Agreed. Wonderful bird images, Phil. When the butterflies are starting to reduce in number and begin to look a bit 'tired' then it's always handy to have something else of interest to photograph.

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Cheers Ernie. It was the first Spoonbill I have seen since a couple at Titchwell a few years ago
Cheers Dave. It certainly is, although this year things seem to be starting later than I am used to locally, and that is limiting some photo opportunities

Wed 15 August - Glovershaw area

After a trip to Fairburn I fancied doing something a bit different locally. The weather continued to be overcast and decidedly cooler so it would be hit and miss whether the trip would be worthwhile
Given that this would be dual purpose I was still going to set off quite early
The best chance to pick up passage Wheatears on the golf greens is before the golfers really get going, and I also wanted to see if a similar habitat to my local one' but elsewhere, would also be good for Walls
Arrived at the car park on Pennithorn Hill around 0835 and set off over the top in the direction of Golcar, a few Skylarks and Meadow Pipits in the bracken and heather, and Swallows hunting overhead, no Wheatears though down on the greens. Turned down at the wall and headed towards Sconce
At the small plantation I had my first butterfly with a Speckled Wood, also saw a hawker again patrolling the face of the wood
Continued towards Sconce and still nothing of particular interest, passed the bracken patch where I recently had the Grasshopper Warbler (but not today) and came to the beck. I intended to cross here but initially carried on the path. Soon the path was going up and down as it crossed gullies draining the moors above down to the beck. Here I found a patch of flowers next to a boardwalk that was full of trefoil and another plant I did not know, it shows in the photos below and hopefully someone can identify it for me. It looked as if it could be fruitful and so I planned on calling back here later
Turned round and back to the beck where I crossed it and passed through the Scout Outdoor Centre and onto Birch Close Lane. This was the area I hoped would be worth the visit, initially this up-market bridleway is very narrow, but improves after a hundred metres or so. The first building is here and also a few field entry points. Soon after a wood on the right with some cabin homes (or holiday homes). Beyond that are the fields of Faweather Grange, now an equestrian centre. Here I had a mixed flock of Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Linnets feeding in a paddock, and a party of juvenile Pied Wagtails. Turning a bend there are a few cottages and then Birch Close Lane bends to the left and eventually terminates by a row of cottages at the top of the horse training area, I instead carried on and the bridleway soon also bends to the left and climbs towards the high corner embankments of a rservoir; at this point we are quite close to the moor circular road and across that Ilkley Moor
It was now shortly after 10 and I started to see butterflies. Had my first Wall, a male, on a thistle patch above the wall and embankment here, followed soon after by a female in lovely condition. Reaching the reservoir I turned left and came back to Birch Close Lane, again turned left and returned to where I had originally left the bridleway then set off back the way I had come. Going back down the Lane saw more Walls, and managed to shoot a Small Copper on a grass stem 5m away in a field. The first whites of the day also started to show
Back over the beck and onto the trefoil patch found earlier, now there were two or more Walls, two or more Small Coppers, a few whites, a Meadow Brown and a faded but not badly worn male Small Skipper, that was a nice find I have not seen one for a good while
Started off back to the car, still mainly overcast but the wind was becoming very noticeable, actually painful in the last few hundred metres
Still continuing to turn up the occasional Wall, and a Small Heath blew by (not a mistype), a second soon after got wedged behind a grass stem so I got a shot of that
Near the plantation I found a nice Small Tortoiseshell
Still no Wheatears, coming back to climb to the car park my last Wall was actually hiding in the grass from the wind, and another Small Heath was sheltering in the lee of a scrape formed around a horse print on the path
In all I had 13 Walls today, and given the weather was not ideal a count I was quite pleased with. If the weather had been consistent I would probably have done better today. This type of habitat abounds all around the outside of the moor circular, with lots of rough pasture separated by dry stone walling as the land drops down to the various valleys (Aire to the south and west, Wharfe to the north and east). This would lead me to suspect there is a very healthy, and seemingly increasing, population of Walls locally. I wonder why they are doing well here in what is not a very hospitable environment, but decreasing inland further south

Phil
The lower narrow section of Birch Close Lane, I still had a Wall along this section on the return journey
The lower narrow section of Birch Close Lane, I still had a Wall along this section on the return journey
Juvenile Goldfinches at Faweather Grange
Juvenile Goldfinches at Faweather Grange
The first Wall today
The first Wall today
IMG_1220.JPG
The Small Copper on a grass stem at a distance of about 5 metres
The Small Copper on a grass stem at a distance of about 5 metres
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1235.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG
This is the plant I do not know with a Wall
This is the plant I do not know with a Wall
The patch of trefoil and the other plant
The patch of trefoil and the other plant
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG
Wall hiding from the wind
Wall hiding from the wind
IMG_1273.JPG
The last Small Heath hiding in a horse print scarpe
The last Small Heath hiding in a horse print scarpe

peterc

Post by peterc »

philm63 wrote:Cheers Ernie. It was the first Spoonbill I have seen since a couple at Titchwell a few years ago
Cheers Dave. It certainly is, although this year things seem to be starting later than I am used to locally, and that is limiting some photo opportunities

Wed 15 August - Glovershaw area

After a trip to Fairburn I fancied doing something a bit different locally. The weather continued to be overcast and decidedly cooler so it would be hit and miss whether the trip would be worthwhile
Given that this would be dual purpose I was still going to set off quite early
The best chance to pick up passage Wheatears on the golf greens is before the golfers really get going, and I also wanted to see if a similar habitat to my local one' but elsewhere, would also be good for Walls
Arrived at the car park on Pennithorn Hill around 0835 and set off over the top in the direction of Golcar, a few Skylarks and Meadow Pipits in the bracken and heather, and Swallows hunting overhead, no Wheatears though down on the greens. Turned down at the wall and headed towards Sconce
At the small plantation I had my first butterfly with a Speckled Wood, also saw a hawker again patrolling the face of the wood
Continued towards Sconce and still nothing of particular interest, passed the bracken patch where I recently had the Grasshopper Warbler (but not today) and came to the beck. I intended to cross here but initially carried on the path. Soon the path was going up and down as it crossed gullies draining the moors above down to the beck. Here I found a patch of flowers next to a boardwalk that was full of trefoil and another plant I did not know, it shows in the photos below and hopefully someone can identify it for me. It looked as if it could be fruitful and so I planned on calling back here later
Turned round and back to the beck where I crossed it and passed through the Scout Outdoor Centre and onto Birch Close Lane. This was the area I hoped would be worth the visit, initially this up-market bridleway is very narrow, but improves after a hundred metres or so. The first building is here and also a few field entry points. Soon after a wood on the right with some cabin homes (or holiday homes). Beyond that are the fields of Faweather Grange, now an equestrian centre. Here I had a mixed flock of Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Linnets feeding in a paddock, and a party of juvenile Pied Wagtails. Turning a bend there are a few cottages and then Birch Close Lane bends to the left and eventually terminates by a row of cottages at the top of the horse training area, I instead carried on and the bridleway soon also bends to the left and climbs towards the high corner embankments of a rservoir; at this point we are quite close to the moor circular road and across that Ilkley Moor
It was now shortly after 10 and I started to see butterflies. Had my first Wall, a male, on a thistle patch above the wall and embankment here, followed soon after by a female in lovely condition. Reaching the reservoir I turned left and came back to Birch Close Lane, again turned left and returned to where I had originally left the bridleway then set off back the way I had come. Going back down the Lane saw more Walls, and managed to shoot a Small Copper on a grass stem 5m away in a field. The first whites of the day also started to show
Back over the beck and onto the trefoil patch found earlier, now there were two or more Walls, two or more Small Coppers, a few whites, a Meadow Brown and a faded but not badly worn male Small Skipper, that was a nice find I have not seen one for a good while
Started off back to the car, still mainly overcast but the wind was becoming very noticeable, actually painful in the last few hundred metres
Still continuing to turn up the occasional Wall, and a Small Heath blew by (not a mistype), a second soon after got wedged behind a grass stem so I got a shot of that
Near the plantation I found a nice Small Tortoiseshell
Still no Wheatears, coming back to climb to the car park my last Wall was actually hiding in the grass from the wind, and another Small Heath was sheltering in the lee of a scrape formed around a horse print on the path
In all I had 13 Walls today, and given the weather was not ideal a count I was quite pleased with. If the weather had been consistent I would probably have done better today. This type of habitat abounds all around the outside of the moor circular, with lots of rough pasture separated by dry stone walling as the land drops down to the various valleys (Aire to the south and west, Wharfe to the north and east). This would lead me to suspect there is a very healthy, and seemingly increasing, population of Walls locally. I wonder why they are doing well here in what is not a very hospitable environment, but decreasing inland further south

Phil

IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1235.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG
IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_1244.JPG
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1266.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG
Nice set of pictures you have there, Phil.
The plant on which a Wall was feeding is probably Water Mint - others, I am sure, will correct me if I am wrong :)

ATB
Peter

Return to “Personal Diaries”