Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by ernie f »

Just catching up with your diary, Neil. I did not realise how many entries I had missed. Highlights for me were the pictures of the four-wing Purple Emperor from underneath, the "mug-shot" of a PE, the pink coloured grasshopper, the Purple Hairstreak pic I have been trying to get but not quite achieved this year and the silver-spotted skipper. Also the knowledge you impart on that chalk-based Grayling community was fascinating as well as the heads-up that Brown Hairstreaks have already started.

Its all great, thanks,

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting to see a species in a different habitat that you're not used to seeing it in. There was a miniscule population of Grayling on Salisbury Plain a few years back but I think that they've gone now :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

And Broughton Down many years ago.

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

Interesting observations regarding Grayling behaviour, Neil. Perhaps this explains why I only saw two on a warm day at a site in Swansea where they fly in good numbers usually.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Broughton Down SU288331 some 40 years ago had Graylings and Silver spotted Skippers.
The SS Skippers occurred on the north-facing slope, a north-facing habitat being perhaps unusual in those days.
I would be interesting to know the situation at Broughton today.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, ernie, Wurzel, Jack and David.
It's shocking to think that this is the last chalk-based population remaining; this race was found (and sometimes swarmed) along the entire length of the South Downs up until the middle of the 20th century. We tend to measure butterfly losses in terms of the UKBMS dataset, which goes back to 1976, but by then we had already lost a great deal.
BWs, Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

To Jack: Pete let me know about Broughton a couple of years back and it's a cracking place still. Chalkhills are there now as well as DGFs and the Silver-spotted Skippers are still there, it's my preferred site for them :) There were 5-6 seen there yesterday and I'm planning a quick check in there tomorrow so I can give you an update.

Sorry for the PD hijack Neil :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Neil. I was there Wednesday but couldn’t get there until afternoon. Your report has put me at ease to some extent as I was rather concerned when I only found four, but that was in the heat of afternoon. Let’s hope something can be done, as the situation is looking alarmingly like that of the SPBF at Park Corner Heath in the early 2000’s.

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:It's shocking to think that this is the last chalk-based population remaining; this race was found (and sometimes swarmed) along the entire length of the South Downs up until the middle of the 20th century. We tend to measure butterfly losses in terms of the UKBMS dataset, which goes back to 1976, but by then we had already lost a great deal.
It is indeed shocking, Neil. What do you put their demise down to?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David,

In a nutshell, the extreme weather events of 1947, 1954 and 1956, immediately followed by the impact on grassland structure caused by myxomatosis, which was let loose in 1953. This is described in The Butterflies of Sussex (pp.28, 29, 132).

While I'm plugging the book (only a few copies now left before it sells out), there's some discussion of how the risk spreading provided by split diapause timing in Small Tortoiseshell (thread: Early hibernation?; Simon-in-Kent) may have been affected by huge changes in the phenology of this species (p.199).

BWs, Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Neil. I will re-read the book as I bought it last year and will pay greater attention to the Grayling issue over the autumn months when things calm down a bit.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Bracken Bash

There's been a lot going on at the BC Park Corner Heath and Rowland Wood reserves over the last two days. On Monday (23 July) I was joined by Andrea Gibbs, Bob Foreman (on the mower), Nigel Symington, Graeme Rolf and Doug Neve, for a day of Bracken control on Park Corner Heath. Similar work was conducted today (24 July) by Mike Fearn and a dozen of his Brighton Conservation Volunteers, this time on Rowland Wood. My thanks go to everyone who took part; a huge amount of Bracken clearance was completed, despite the intense heat.

Summer cutting will allow some areas to become more grassy and herb-rich, which will suit the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. A partial second brood of this species is likely (late July and August) given the hot summer we're experiencing, so the cut will also make more violet accessible. The drought conditions are very worrying (rain please), but the plants in semi-shade around the Bracken margins will hopefully prove usable.

It was encouraging to see a couple of female Dark Green Fritillary immediately start laying eggs in the newly cleared area on Park Corner Heath yesterday. During my walkabout I also saw plenty of Common Blue, Brown Argus and Small Heath, together with a few Silver-washed Fritillary. Andrea and Gary Norman have both seen Wall on the reserve recently, and Gary has reported a second brood Dingy Skipper; the first time I've heard of one in a woodland setting.
BC Brighton Conservation Volunteers, Rowland wood 24.7.18.jpg
BC work party, PCH (1) 23.7.18.jpg
BC work party, PCH (2) 23.7.18.jpg
BC work party, PCH (3) 23.7.18.jpg
BCV work party, Rowland Wood (1) 24.7.18.jpg
BCV work party, Rowland Wood (2) 24.7.18.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Good stuff, Neil. I'd forgotten that SPBFs occasionally run a second brood, so you are wise to prepare for it.

Meantime, it's good to see that your habitat isn't quite as parched as a lot of others I have seen lately. With any luck, you'll catch a few of Friday's predicted thunderstorms and the vegetation will finally begin to recover.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Cissbury Silver-spots

Following a habitat management meeting at Rewell Wood with Norfolk Estate forester Mark Aldridge, this afternoon (25 July) I headed up to Cissbury Ring to monitor the Silver-spotted Skipper, which colonised the site in 2012 (first observed 2013). Since then, numbers have been highly variable, largely reflecting the condition of the sward (too rank in damp summers) in the SW compartment, which is in dire need of grazing. In poorer years the species retreats to the southernmost compartment, where I saw most, but not all, today (some in Shipdens Holt meadow and within the ramparts).

Silver-spotted Skipper is clearly doing very well this year and I easily beat my previous best count with a tally of 128, including three mating pairs. Although the currently occupied area is relatively small, the action rivaled the best I've experienced at Malling Down and Newtimber Hill. The place was buzzing with skippers and I watched chases of up to six or seven males in pursuit of a female. However, you need to 'get your eye in', such is the speed at which they move in this heat. Other highlights included Wall, Dark Green Fritillary, Small Copper and a second brood Dingy Skipper.
BC SSSk Cissbury Ring (1) 25.7.18.jpg
BC SSSk Cissbury Ring (2) 25.7.18.jpg
BC SSSk Cissbury Ring (3) 25.7.18.jpg
BC SSSk Cissbury Ring (4) 25.7.18.jpg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Aren’t SSS great, Neil, full of lively character. Making the recent increase in this species, especially in Sussex , even more welcome!

David M

Post by David M »

What a late summer delight these creatures are! At this time of year, many species are fading away but Silver Spotted Skippers suddenly emerge bright and bold to give us all a lift.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark and David,

When I was growing up in Sussex the Silver-spotted Skipper was so rare that its existence in the county was a closely guarded secret; I didn't know whether it was really present, and certainly not where. Seeing it in such numbers on the closest downland site to Findon village, where we lived at the time, is very rewarding; it's not all doom and gloom!

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Nature, red in tooth and claw

On Thursday (26 July) I paid another visit to Deep Dean (Windover Hill, Wilmington) to monitor the ailing population of chalk-based Sussex Grayling, where I joined forces with Patrick Moore and Lindsay Morris. Between us, we could muster no more than 8 individuals (all male), although the butterflies were clearly doing their best to hide from us (and the heat) in rabbit holes, scrapes and shrubs. I'm hoping that the subsequent rain will trigger a substantial emergence of particularly females, but observations over the last two weeks give cause for real concern. The chance meeting with Tim Squire (SDNPA) allowed us a useful opportunity to discuss habitat management issues on site, as it is becoming a little clearer where some of the problems may lie.

As I made my final ascent of the steep slope I flushed what I initially thought was a mating pair of Silver-spotted Skippers, but it soon became apparent that this male skipper hadn't been as lucky as first appeared; a rare Downland Robberfly had the hapless butterfly in a Vulcan death grip.

I then visited the BC Park Corner Heath & Rowland Wood reserves where, among many other butterflies, I spotted a second brood Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. My fears for any breeding opportunities for a second brood were somewhat alleviated the following day, when a trip to Drusillas Park with the kids ended with a rain storm, which swept over the area.

My final stop on Thursday was at the Knepp Wildland, which seemed strangely quiet after recent weeks. I toured most of the hotspots which have given so much pleasure since mid June, during the best Purple Emperor season I've ever experienced, and may ever experience. I saw just one reasonably conditioned female and a fragment of a male. Time to say goodbye for another year.
BC View from Windover Hill 26.7.18.jpg
BC Grayling on Patrick Moore's rucksack strap, Deep Dean 26.7.18.jpg
BC Downland Robberfly with SSSk (1) Deep Dean 26.7.18.jpg
BC Downland Robberfly with SSSk (2) Deep Dean 26.7.18.jpg
BC SPBF (second brood) Rowland Wood 26.7.18.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

It's a shame to hear of the plight of Sussex Grayling, Neil. I hope any plans for recovery are successful.

I will always remember my first ever Grayling, at that very site. Windover Hill will always be a special place for me and gives so much all through the year. I was enjoying Silver Spotted Skippers at Aston Rowant this week.

Lovely photos, as ever.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Neil :D It’s unfortunate that the male Skipper is receiving such an unloving embrace :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”