Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Wurzel

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some lovely Blues recently Wurzel and I love those backlit Small Pearls :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers all! :D I was happy with those shots on such a cracking day :D

Onto the Duke Site 02-06-2018

After Bentley it was a quick cross country run to my Duke site with my first Painted Lady as a fly-by at a roundabout on the way. We drove up the tank tracks and parked letting the dust settle for a moment before we were both out and raring to go. The first area was the small triangle of short turf and bare earth to the left of the cars. I’ve checked this area out a few times before and it generally produces the goods as he butterflies seem to like to drop in here to bask and feed away from the rustle and bustle of the long grasses and the arid, dusty tracks. So it was today with Adonis and Common Blues, Brown Argus and the odd Dingy, Small Heath and Grizzzlie.
DSC_1908 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1916 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1932 - Copy.JPG
There is also a little stand of trees towards the bottom of the hill here which offers respite from the wind that can cut across the open fields or shade when the sun burns down. I’ve found Small Blues here before and again so it was again today. The tired looking little butterfly put in an appearance contrasting nicely with the garish Adonis Blues. They were out in force here with a mating pair, chocolatey females and some electric blue males including one which was adopting an unusual pose. It sat on a flower top with wings open wide, so wide.
DSC_1942 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1956 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_1963 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1980 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1996 - Copy.JPG
We tore ourselves away remembering that there was a whole site to visit and not just a corner somewhere in a field in Hampshire (well technically Wiltshire but that wouldn’t fit the song lyric). So we followed the tank tracks and the animal tracks heading gently uphill towards the Cypress tree, the short turf and the miniature valley. We stopped occasionally for such delights as a group Adonis Blues clambering over unidentified scat, an aged Grizzlie and an even larger group of Burnet Moths hanging onto a Skyscraper of a plant. Among them was the most confluent Burnet that I’ve seen.
DSC_1997 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2006 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2011 - Copy.JPG
We followed the track up to the corner where there were once Dukes a plenty and paused a while longer here. There were all the ususal suspects from Common Blues to Brown Argus as well as such delights as a Wood Tiger and the now ubiquitous Marshies. Onwards and upwards we went criss-crossing the field with the odd Large Skipper already holding territory before diving into the Beech woodland to seek shade and also a couple of Orchids – White Hellaborine and Bird’s Nest – both of which species we easily located. The miniature valley held a different range of species from the last time I’d been here and now there were blues and Brown Argus and a cracking looking Small Copper.
DSC_2015 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2026 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2034 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2044 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2058 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2075 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2080 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2085 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2088 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2102 - Copy.JPG
The walk back to the car was jovial and we chewed the fat spotting and photographing butterflies in a much more relaxed fashion. Pootling about with another Small Copper, another tried looking Marshie before walking through Adonis Blue heaven where we were accosted by male and female Adonis. All too soon goodbyes had been wished and I was in my car heading home with memory card full.
DSC_2123 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2126 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2140 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great Butterfly shots Wurzel, :D I'm hoping the Adonis could come out sooner here before I go home ( we've another two weeks yet) :D Still not seen a Copper yet this year. Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It's quite difficult to pick a favourite image from such a spectacular array but that towering Viper's Bugloss covered in Burnets is quite an sight! :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm with Paul on that one, a Burnet for almost every flower, what an opportunity/shot !.
Your Brown Argus is also mrgreen worthy, and an extra mrgreen for that Forester Moth. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Enjoy your imminent Summer break !,
Trevor.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yep, I'm with Bugboy on this one too - the Burnet Tree is a terrific shot. They really do seem to be hatching from every flower on the Echium (posh name for Vipers' Bugloss :wink: ) - a very close relative of those you see in the Canary Isles that grow fifteen feet tall. :)

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Those are fantastic Small Pearls Wurzel. :mrgreen: :D And a cracking selection from your Duke sight, love the Burnet's. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Those ones were still from the first brood as I'm so behind, but fingers crossed you'll pick up an early Adonis before you go :D
Cheers Bugboy :D That was only one of several Burnet high rises, it was a veritable high rise complex :shock: :lol:
Cheers Trevor :D Only 7.5 days to go :D and so only 7 more decent butterfly weather days :roll: :( , make the most of it...
Cheers Dave :D Can you imagine what a sight to behold that would be if the same thing happened on the Echium in the Canary Isles :shock: :shock: 8)
Cheers Andrew :D I hope that they can hang on at Bentley Wood as they are generally very well behaved at this site :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I'm with the others on your pic of Burnets on the Vipers Bugloss, Wurzel - fantastic. The Adonis with its wings open really wide is unusual too. But there is also that Birdsnest Orchid close-up, and the Small Copper showing off the yellow patches on its forewings, and the Marshies...

Cheers,

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Kingston Lacey 03-5-2018

After such a cracking day yesterday I fancied a bit of a quiet one so once the chores had been done and the girls had finally done their homework we packed up a lunch and headed out to Kingston Lacey. Once there we swept up the drive with the tall grass on one side swaying and looking faintly purple whilst on the other the field was blindingly white from a multitude of Ox-eye Daisies. The place looked fantastic.
After we ate the girls read their books and my wife read the paper so I checked out the little bank on the side of the Ho-Ho. A single male Common Blue caught my eye and so I popped down and watched it fly up the ditch and back before it settled almost in front of me.
DSC_2151 - Copy.JPG
After I’d returned the lunch things to the car we set out on our walk which was a new one that had only just been completed. We cut across to the woodland area but instead of turning left and making back towards the various gardens we took a right and the path dove down through the wood plunging us into its green depths. Every now and again it felt like we broke to the surface and light streamed through the gaps in the canopy like a forest clearing in miniature. Each time this happened Specklies would appear. First there were two tussling together and vying for the airspace. The second time one flew in whilst a second was perched at in what must have been its favoured spot. I surmised this because the perched butterfly took off and attacked the incomer almost as soon as it had drifted into view. I let out a chuckle because as soon as this pair were slugging it out for the prized territory a third Specklie nipped in and stole the perch. After a further wander the path snaked round a view times and then there were 2 Specklies but the trees were thinning out now so final as the path opened out onto the fields a final Specklie wished us well by the gate.
DSC_2167 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2174 - Copy.JPG
The path then took us past the field of Ox-eye Daisies that we’d seen on the drive in and there right on the edge was a dark brown butterfly. I pointed the camera at it a looked through the viewfinder and as it came into focus I’d bagged my first Meadow Brown of 2018. Slightly further in was as a second and so I kicked off my sandals and ‘snake footed’ my way a little further into the field so I could get a few closer shots without trampling the background to my photos. It paid off in both respects.
DSC_2180 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2185 - Copy.JPG
We crossed over the drive and then the path dove once more into woodland and so we were back to seeing Specklies in the small sunlit spots were a cleared or fallen tree had opened up the canopy. From here the path once more broke out from the tress this time onto a boardwalk and shortly we were walking through Rhododendrons eventually ending up in a most familiar part of the estate. From here it was a short walk to the Kitchen Garden. While the girls sought shade I checked out the flower beds and the small pond. There were a few Small Whites around and a Brimstone made a pass and down at the pond there were 2 broad-bodied Chasers, a Large Red Damselfly and a gaggle of Azure Damselflies.
DSC_2193 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2222 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2228 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2236 - Copy.JPG
On the final stomp back to the car (I really mean stomp as little L had had enough!) I paused in the Pacific Garden were there was another distant Meadow Brown and a Small White that was actually sitting still for more than 3 seconds!
Another Stairway...
Another Stairway...
DSC_2242 - Copy.JPG
All in all a very restful and relaxing afternoon.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Those Speckled Woods look reasonably fresh Wurzel, are you into another brood down there - Phil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love that stairway Wurzel, :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just seen that shot of the Burnet tree Wurzel...what a fantastic image :mrgreen: :D

That (Cistus?) Forester and Wood Tiger are a couple of cracking shots too, both species that have a habit of settling down in the grass.

Cheers,

Neil.

Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Lovely pictures with the Burnet tree being quite something.

That is a lot of different species. I am always amazed at the amount of great shots of different species that I see on here :D

Old Wolf.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Phil :D I'm so far behind on my PD Phil that those could have been late first brooders :shock: :oops:
Cheers Goldie :D My second Stairway to Heaven this year :D
Cheers Neil :D I wouldn't like to hazard which Forester it is though round here I think the Cistus is commoner :? I was dead chuffed with the Wood Tiger as it just sat there :D
Cheers Old Wolf :D I'm really lucky that there are some butterfly packed and diverse sites near to me. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop sometimes :D

Laverstock Down 04-06-2018

Monday is Tutor Day! There are some real advantages to this regular Monday evening Tutor session. Firstly during the winter months or if the weather is dire I get loads of work done, second I get to chat to the Tutor which is always entertaining and finally when the weather plays fair I get to shot up the Down. So today once we’d dealt with various foibles of the Education system with its ridiculous ‘marking to the curve’ :evil: I was off checking the mats at the top of the garden on the way – a record breaking 12 Slow Worms tonight! 8)

I took the more usual route up the across the field, hang a left and then down the gentle ridge to the bottom of the Down. I’d just hung the left when a golden orange blur shot across the path. I followed it while it had a bit of a tussle with a Common Blue and watched as it landed, a lovely looking Small Copper which was a first from this site this year. A great way to begin!
DSC_2247 - Copy.JPG
From here I carried on down before the Down rose steeply ahead of me. Along the way there were a couple of Common Blues and a Specklie was again down near the trees which the cows like to shelter under. And then I was climbing up the Down. A Dingy was having a go at any Common Blue that dared enter its airspace and when it wasn’t being feisty it was supping nectar for all it was worth. Slightly further up I could make out 14 Common Blues sitting or roosting amongst the tall grasses. There was also my first Wiltshire Meadow Brown sitting out the ever so slightly cooler period while the sun was behind a cloud. As I continued up I would stop every other step as another butterfly hove into view and by the time I reached the top most section I’d seen couple of DIngies, a Brimstone, Meadow Brown, 9 Small Heath, 4 Adonis and a 15th Common Blue which I know wasn’t a recount as it was my first female of the visit.
DSC_2266 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2281 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2288 - Copy.JPG
At the top the path is encroached upon by Bramble and Hawthorn on both sides with the occasional scallop cut out. In one of these I found a Large Skipper which sat up and begged to have its photo taken. I left it and carried on fighting my way through the ‘path’ making it out the other side and being greeted by another Large Skipper. I would have tried for a few shots of this one but I was approaching half time and I wanted to get to the gully.
DSC_2304 - Copy (2).JPG
Things seemed quitter on this side possibly because the wind had picked up and was quite blowy at times. So instead of butterflies every few steps I had to walk a whole 4 metres at a time before seeing another butterfly SHOCK FACE! Luckily it was only a quick hop over to the gully and soon I was zig zagging my down the gully to the bottom of the Down. I got about three quarters of the way down and the sun came out and with it the butterflies. The first was an aged Grizzlie but it was quickly joined by Common Blues along with the occasional Small Heath. Further down I went with the taller grasses here seeming to be favoured by the Common Blues. There were a further 2 Grizzlies and some more Small Heath and Dingy. The turf became much shorter here and here there were more Adonis Blues flying though none stopped.
DSC_2313 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2320 - Copy.JPG
I checked the time and realised I had 15 minutes to make the trip back so it became a case of head down and route march back – whilst this meant not stopping for butterflies a long most of the return stretch at least I got my Government recommended 10 minutes of brisk walking. I did stop twice more the first time for a miniscule Brown Argus and the second for my third Large Skipper.
DSC_2329 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2334 - Copy.JPG
I arrived back with a minute to spare and so slipping through the French windows I took my place with the other pick-up parents.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Interesting to see what I imagine must have been fresh first brood Common Blues and Brown Argus only five or six weeks ago, when the second brood has been out round here for nearly a fortnight. There hasn't been much of a gap between them at all. And a Dingy Skipper too - there are second brood Dingies out too now on certain southern slopes I'm reliably informed. What a curious year it is. After all that, it's the Large Skippers I like most out of those last shots - brand new ones are beautifully marked. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I know what you mean about it being a funny old year. I spent most of the first part waiting for it to get going which it didn't and now I find myself wanting it to slow down and pace itself; hopefully the butterflies won't burn out and there will still be something to see come September :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, the Butterflies I've seen here so far in Kent have not had the chance to get weathered which is good, I just wish they'd slow down a bit. Saw more Cloudies today but none stopped, I did manage one shot (in my post) the one that got a way :lol: I'm looking for Adonis next :D Goldie :D

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Nice to see fresh Large Skips, Wurzel. Being 6 weeks behind will really start to get us confused when someone posts about Silver-spotted Skippers! :lol:

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I too wish the butterflies would slow down they're almost turbo charged at the moment :shock: :?
Cheers Ernie :D I'll make sure to keep the date nice and large :wink: Someone already made that mistake last week on the Wiltshire Branch sightings :?

Work and Larkhill 06-06-2018

As the weather had decidedly cheered up by lunchtime I wandered out to check out the meadow. The grasses are really coming along and there seemed to be about 4 or 5 different species as well as some nice patches of mixed flowers. It still feels like very early days and I wasn’t expecting to find many blues around as they’ve got to find the field first and then settle down and lay some eggs before they’ll become a regular sight; we can but dream. Instead of the butterflies there were plenty of Moths around, generally the Crambid grass moths and up to 17 Silver Y’s but the stars of the show were a Cinnabar and a 5 Spot Burnett.
DSC_2346 - Copy.JPG
After work I was delayed whilst waiting to see if any year 11’s would attend a revision session. They didn’t and as I knew that I’d be back in Salisbury too late to pick my wife and Little L up from the school run I stopped off for 5 minutes or so at Larkhill. As I reached the main track which runs parallel with the road I noticed a Small Heath and then I took a right turn following the track down to the little hollow and then turning round and coming back. This put me onto 2 Large Skippers another Small Heath and 2 Common Blues. The Blues were shining like Sapphires in amongst a sea of green. They stood out so easily because the wind had flattened some of the longer grasses around them and they were perched here each in their own auditorium.
DSC_2350 - Copy.JPG
I then followed the track Eastwards a little way though I didn’t get far as a Small Blue caught my attention. See was hanging around some Kidney Vetch but was quite tricky to capture on film as she would constantly be turning and taking nectar here and there before moving to the next flower head.
DSC_2379 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2381 - Copy.JPG
I strolled up the track, the long grasses brushing past my trouser legs and polishing my shoes and things all got a little hectic. First came a male and then a female Adonis. The male was better behaved than the female, posing nicely whereas the female kept hanging out too low down in the grass so an unobstructed photo was impossible. Further on another pair of Adonis took off from in front of me; I mean if you don’t want to be disturbed don’t sit right here in the middle of the track. Then there was a Small Heath, fly-bys from 3 Brimstone, 4 Common Blue and a Small White and another pair of Large Skipper. It left me feeling a little stunned as I didn’t know here to point the camera first and all this in 3 minutes.
DSC_2390 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2395 - Copy.JPG
Sensing that my time was almost up I made my way back and there was the Small Blue still in the same patch of Kidney Vetch. I watched as she shuffled around from one flower head to another and then she made motions with her abdomen reminiscent of ovi-positing. I couldn’t make out if she actually laid any eggs and I didn’t want to disturb her and have a closer look so I made a mental note and hopefully I’ll be able to check this out on another visit, if I remember that is.
DSC_2400 - Copy.JPG
DSC_2403 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”