Esther2444

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Esther2444

Esther2444

Post by Esther2444 »

I've always loved butterflies, and have a keen interest in nature photography, although am very much an amateur. I don't particularly go hunting for wildlife to take photos of, but I do like to snap the visitors to my garden in Bristol and the things I see whilst on holiday with my children.
I wanted to start this diary as a way to record the butterflies I have photographed. We recently renovated our house and as part of this we redeveloped the back garden and created a wildlife garden in front of our house, with a focus on pollinators. The increased activity, particularly the butterflies, has been impressive, and I'm so pleased about this. I can't wait to take part in this year's butterfly count!
I use a variety of cameras, including my iPhone, a Panasonic DMC-LX100 and a Sony DSLR with Macro lens. I find I use the DSLR less and less, mostly due to the size of it, but am hoping to get back to using it more at some point.

Today I took some snaps with my Panasonic, and managed to capture a small tortoiseshell and a comma that were feeding on the buddleia this morning. There were also a healthy bee contingent tucking in.
P1010312.JPG
P1010311.JPG
P1010305.JPG
Looking forward to sharing my pics, and looking through everyone else's diaires too.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Re: Esther2444

Post by Pauline »

Welcome Esther and well done on creating the butterfly garden. Looking forward to seeing more shots :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Welcome Esther :D A great way to start your PD, looking forward to the next installment :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Hi Esther. A warm welcome to UKB where you will find many with a similar outlook as yours.

Feel free to keep the images coming!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A warm welcome from me too. We are a friendly bunch, so feel free to ask any questions or for advice if you want to. There is usually someone on here who can help!

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Hi, Esther. Let me add my welcome too.
You've made a great start with that nice angle on the Comma.

Ernie F
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Cripes, another newbie! There's been quite a few join up this season. Welcome to the friendliest bunch of people on the interweb :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Welcome Ester, your garden sounds great, well done. :D

Esther2444

Cloudy day

Post by Esther2444 »

It was a much cloudier and changeable day in Bristol yesterday and threatened rain for most of the day, which eventually realised about 4pm. There are so many whites about at the moment, although not many are coming to rest in my garden, although I did manage to just about snap one on the breezy buddleia.
P1010315.JPG
Taken with my compact.

Unfortunately someone walked past as I tried to get a picture of the meadow brown that I spotted in my front garden, and it flitted off somewhere. I did spot a plume moth when taking a tent down in the garden so used my iPhone to capture it. The quality of the picture is not great but it's a sweet little feathery moth.
IMG_1206 (2).JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice Moff Esther - is it a White or Spotted White Plume Moth? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Esther2444

Post by Esther2444 »

I think it’s a white plume, but not 100% sure as my field guide is macro moths only, so this micro moth is only described very briefly in a small subsection.

Esther2444

Post by Esther2444 »

The wildlife garden that I have created at the front of my house is really starting to become established now. Yesterday my mum made a flippant comment about the nasturtiums I've grown from seed. "You need to be careful with those, they'll be crawling with caterpillars if you don't cover them." she said. I had to laugh because of course that is kind of the point! So this morning, whilst the sun was directly on the plants I went to have a look. I was so pleased to see that there were eggs and caterpillars over quite a few of the leaves. I'll admit that I don't know much about this part of the life cycle of the white butterflies that I've seen frequenting these plants, so I quickly looked this up. In conclusion the eggs in groups are the large white and the single eggs the small. I snapped both with my Sony DSLR and macro lens. It was a bit breezy but finally managed to get a steady picture of the things I observed.
DSC02408.JPG
DSC02407.JPG
DSC02403 (2).JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

And a warm welcome from me Esther
It will be good to recieve reports from the Bristol area,
we don't seem to get many from around there.

Good hunting,
Trevor.

Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Welcome Esther from one newbie to another :D

I look forward to seeing what visitors you get. I always think it is exiting when a new vistor arrives.

Old Wolf.
David M

Post by David M »

I absolutely agree regarding your nasturtiums, Esther. They will be highly attractive to Large White females and as such you will likely find them overrun with caterpillars.

If that is the point of you planting them then so much the better!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yes, your lovely nasturtiums will soon look like lace curtains.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Esther and welcome from me too.

Looking forward to seeing what you get in your garden.

Cheers,

Neil.

Esther2444

Post by Esther2444 »

David M wrote:I absolutely agree regarding your nasturtiums, Esther. They will be highly attractive to Large White females and as such you will likely find them overrun with caterpillars.

If that is the point of you planting them then so much the better!
Hi David, yes it was the point. As much as possible I've put plants in for pollinators, particularly butterflies, and have also installed a small wildlife pond. I'm so chuffed that it's already providing habitat for wildlife :D

Esther2444

Post by Esther2444 »

Thank you to everyone who has welcomed me here, and taken the time to comment! Very nice of you all. Lots of the posts on here have fantastic shots of such a variety of butterflies. I'm sure my humble little Bristol patch will soon becoming a little repetitive in comparison!

This morning I intended to do a little weeding but the sun was glorious and I got totally distracted by butterflies, so only thought it was fitting that I do my first 15 minute butterfly count, on launch day.
I initially thought it was going to be a full house of whites, but suddenly next to me a speckled wood landed on the ground. It flew off as I grabbed my camera and I thought I had missed it, but then spotted it basking on the grape vine. Snapped a couple with my compact and then tried to get a good macro but unfortunately one wing was swinging in and out of focus.

These are the best shots. The first with my DSLR and the second with my compact.
DSC02411.JPG
P1010320.JPG
I took a really good look at the massive white buddleia that we have, and just as I was considering chopping it down, because we never get any butterflies on it, a comma came to say hello. He was a bit worse for wear, but took some time to feed on the white flowers, then flit over to the more popular dark purple bush, and back again. I snapped a few pics with my compact.
P1010321 (2).JPG
P1010329.JPG
P1010327.JPG
P1010326.JPG
I'm also pretty sure I saw a silver washed fritillary swooping about - but never really got my eyes fully on it so didn't include it in my count.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"I took a really good look at the massive white buddleia that we have, and just as I was considering chopping it down, because we never get any butterflies on it," that's a sure fire way to get butterflies to appear Esther :wink: :lol: Love the last shot :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”