Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: Goldie M

Post by essexbuzzard »

I’m surprised, but delighted, you got your Heath Fritillaries, they are long gone from the Essex woods. Well done on your Marbled Whites and Chalkhill Blues at Lydden, you’ve seen Chalkhills before me this year!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great shots there Goldie, like Essex says, that seems really late for Heath Frits :shock:

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill news Goldie :D Great to see the trip get off to such a great start :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I too am quite surprised to see Heath Fritillaries still on the wing. Glad you caught up with them, Goldie, along with the other delights that you don't get up north.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everybody for your posts :D as you can see I'm having a great time here and out nearly every day :D

I was surprised to see the Heath Fritillaries has well, so yesterday we planned to go to Reculver first then onto East Blean Woods afterwards, i wanted to see if the Purple Hair Streaks would show me some Purple :lol: Of course anther sight of the Heath wouldn't go a miss :lol:

It was quite cloudy when we arrived at Reculver and I didn't expect to see many butterflies but in-spite of that the Gate Keepers were there in abundance, then I spotted the Skippers and have been told by essex that they're Essex :D There were a few rather shabby Red Admiral's and once again loads of Whites.

We decided a sandwich would go down well and knew from past experience that the small cafe there did a belting Bacon Butty, say no more! :D We set off afterwards for EBW.

On arrival, we thought it was too soon to check out the PHS so went to look for the Heath again. Where we saw them before was now in the shade and only one or two were flying so having already got some shots I wasn't too adventurous of the Brambles they were on and carried on down the path further into the woods, that's when we were stopped in our tracks by the sight of this HF in the middle of the path on a flower :D

We'd never seen them so deep in the woods before and in such good condition, has we watched another joined the first and I thought they were going to mate, (still not sure this didn't happen) I'll let you judge. :D After quite a lot of shots the Butterflies flew off and we carried on to look for the HS. I did see them but no Purple colour to show for my shots, still it was another great day out :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_2481.jpg
IMG_2497.jpg
fullsizeoutput_9aa6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9ab3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9ab6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9ab7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9aa9.jpeg
IMG_2424.jpg
fullsizeoutput_9a9c.jpeg

trevor

Post by trevor »

I didn't get to East Blean this year, so it's good to see your shots.
I share your frustration with the Purple Hairstreaks, they can be so near, yet too far away !.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, Your right about the PHS, you no sooner get them in your sights when they hop onto another leaf :D I'll have another try I think before I call it a day :D
Glad you liked the shots,I was so pleased when I saw the Heath's because I was sure I'd missed them.Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Goldie :D :mrgreen: I didn't get to see Heaths this year either like Trevor so I'll enjoy yours all the more :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

It must almost be like going abroad for you, Goldie, with these 'exotics' suddenly available on your doorstep.

Hope you make the most out of the rest of your trip.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Well done with both the Heath Frits and the Purple Hairstreaks, Goldie. Those Heaths have been out since before my visit, which was back on 6th June! :)

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Seems like you're having a marvelous time Goldie :D Nice shots of the Heath Frits and lovely Marbled White :D

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Love those Heath Frit pics, Goldie. Especially the "two-for-one" special offer and the one in flight.

Ernie F
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for all your posts, finding the Heath's was icing on the cake for me after not seeing them for quite a while, I look forward to coming to Kent every year, it helps when your family lives here. :lol:

I'll need some help today though with some ID's , I didn't bring my book on Butterflies with me and today it was so hot the blue butterflies never opened their wings, I'm not too bad with the Chalkhill's but the others :roll:
I think I got the Brown Argus but how many times :lol:
Today we packed off home at mid -day it was so hot, not before we'd seen a Brimstone , Marble White, loads of Chalkhill Blues, even a Skipper landed in front of me, I hoped it was a Sliver Spotted but the markings weren't White, still they could have been Sun Burnt :lol: I'll let the photo's tell the tale and try to get the names right. :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_2566.jpg
Skipper 16th July 2018 (4).jpg
Skipper 16th July 2018 (3).jpg
Skipper 16th July 2018.jpg
IMG_2635.jpg
IMG_2593.jpg
IMG_2572.jpg
IMG_2646.jpg
Chalkhill Blue
Chalkhill Blue
not sure
not sure
Brown Argus
Brown Argus
Brown Argus
Brown Argus

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Happy to see how successful your trip has been Goldie. :D A lovely selection, your Heaths are great. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm glad you got your Chalkhills and the Brown Argus as well Goldie :D Where there any other target species?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like you had a good time Goldie :) . Your 'not sure' blue is a male Common Blue and your first B. Argus is actually a female Common Blue :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for that Bugboy, I did wonder about the black spots on the first one being lower than on my other shot but gave up on both :D My eyes were going into one another in the end :lol:

Thanks Andrew for your post it was great to see the Heaths again :D

Thanks Wurzel, I've yet to see a Small Copper this year but I can't persuade my Husband to go to Dungeness :( also I'd love to see a Clouded Yellow before I go home, the only one's I really want don't come out till later is the Adonis, I've not see it for years and just missed it last year, the Silver Spotted Skipper would be okay too :D I've never seen a Brown Hair Streak at all but will have to wait and try my luck at Gait Barrow for that one I think. :D

I for got to mention before that I'd a fantastic experience at Fermyn Woods, not with the Butterflies but when I saw my first Red Kite flying just above me in the sky there, I never realised they were so big and when it was just soaring I was able to get a couple of shots of it. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_9895.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_989c.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot of the Red Kite Goldie :D Good luck with the Brostreak :D not long now til they emerge :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Sorry to hear you missed out on Purple Emperor at Fermyn but it looks like you made up for it with plenty of other stuff down in Kent.

That is a great selection of Heath Fritillary shots :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

The B.Argus shots are great - and I love your photos of the kites! :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”