Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Andrew555

Post by Goldie M »

Catching up on posts and so glad I did on yours Andrew, what fantastic shots of the Emperor :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and that ab is well shown. :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Great shots of the Emperors, especially that ab, Andrew. :) It would be the day I didn't go down there!

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

C'mon Buggy - we can usually rely on you in these situations - what is that bug the PE is interested in? Apparently that is the second PE ab at Chiddingfold this week!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pauline wrote:C'mon Buggy - we can usually rely on you in these situations - what is that bug the PE is interested in? Apparently that is the second PE ab at Chiddingfold this week!
I've been away Pauline and can only really attempt to catch up on everyone's diaries on my phone whilst on the train on my way to look for butterflies.

I'm not sure what that blob is but don't think it's a grub. Gut feeling is it's some sort of fungus or perhaps a bird poo.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

I reckon it's this Pauline.

' Alcoholic flux is a stress-related disease that affects sweet gum, oak, elm and willow trees. It usually occurs after a period of very hot, dry weather. The disease is caused by a microorganism that ferments the sap that seeps or bleeds from cracks and wounds in the bark. The result is a white, frothy ooze that has a sweet, fermenting odor similar to beer. Alcoholic flux is sometimes called frothy flux or foamy canker because of the white ooze that looks and feels like melted marshmallows. Fortunately, this ooze only lasts for a short time in summer. '

It certainly looks frothy to me.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That certainly fits the bill Andrew and would explain why the PE was so interested in it :)

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Janet, glad you liked them. :D There was lots of good stuff to see! :D

Cheers Wurzel. :D Fingers crossed for you! :D

:lol: Bugboy, and probably a few other places on the internets! :D

Yes Ernie, I wanted to easily compare them, cheers. :D

Hi Goldie, thank you very much. :D

Thanks Dave, :D that's typical init!?

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

One of my targets this year was the Marsh Fritillary, which would be a first for me. With advice from some good folks on these boards I made my way to a Wiltshire hill in late May.

Arriving early I found Brown Argus and Grizzled Skipper waking up.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Then as the light cloud cleared and the sun warmed the hillside I spotted my very first Marshies! :D More appeared as the temperature rose, and became very active, bombing up and down the slopes. I enjoyed the show with Dave Cook, who I met there for the first time, and later Trevor. :D
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.JPG
7.jpg
One of the few non-butterfly shots taken, Yellow Hammer and Stonechat.
8.jpg
After lunch I called it a day. Made my way back to the car and, as a final bonus, saw this Grizzled pairing.
9.jpg
Wanting a bit more I made a trip to Cerne Abbas a few days later. Sweeping the lower slopes I found Marshies on both the east and west sides.

Some of the variable markings and colouration.
10.jpg
Best find was this female, plump with eggs I think.
11.jpg
What a lovely butterfly, mission well and truly accomplished. :D

Cheers

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Andrew - Of all the fantastic shots you took there, the one of the mating Grizzlies is the one I envy, never having seen this yet. :mrgreen:

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Andrew :D I'm glad the Hill trip paid off :D That final female is definitely very fecund, fit to burst! :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Ernie, it was a first for me. :D

Cheers Wurzel, and many thanks for your advice. :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

A small roundup of work sightings over the past few weeks.

There always seems to be a moth or two to see. Small Magpie, Clouded Border and Yellow Shell.
1.jpg
I'd not seen one of these before, a Phyche casta moth larvae casing.
2.jpg
Beautiful Demoiselle female.
3.jpg
4.jpg
And a Painted Lady, almost right outside my place of work. :D
5.jpg
Cheers

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Andrew - that is a beautiful Painted Lady shot - the colour combination between the butterfly and the plant is excellent.

Ernie F
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

ernie f wrote:Andrew - that is a beautiful Painted Lady shot - the colour combination between the butterfly and the plant is excellent.
Agreed, a lovely image :mrgreen: :D

I also like the female Marsh Fritillary basking on the ground in your earlier post and the pair of Grizzled Skippers :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I agree with ernie f about that beautiful PL shot :D I've enjoyed following your findings of new species, not to mention the abs.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yes that is a great PL shot, getting down to their level I think always improves a picture, softening the background really drawing out the butterfly :)

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Ernie. :D

Thanks a lot Neil. :D

Thank you Mike. :D

Cheers Bugboy. :D Agreed, I take a lot of shots crouching or kneeling. Can be a bit hard on the knee's though!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

The last of Chiddingfold. On my final visit my companions were Katrina and her sister, and Mark Colvin. A big thanks to Mark for showing us a bit more of the woods. :D

Once settled some of the Emperors let you get really close.
1.jpg
White Admirals and Silver-washed Fritillaries would also come down to the path. Missed a WA but got a SWF.
2.jpg
The old 'put it in shade to open the wings' ploy. (never worked :( :lol: )
3.jpg
Ringlets and an elusive SWF pairing.
4.jpg
5.jpg
The next day I was in nearby woods. Here I saw my first Gatekeeper of the year.
6.jpg
There were lots of SWF's, I saw several times females flying low around tree trunks before landing and laying. Exactly the behaviour Mark was telling me about the day before. :D Couldn't see any eggs but it was a lot darker under the trees than the picture makes out!
8.jpg
And a nice Meadow Brown female on the way back to the car.
7.jpg
Cheers

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Great work, Andrew.

You're getting some super clarity of detail with your FZ1000.

Hope to see you again.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

My word, that PE closeup is magnificent! Nice pic of the PE ab as well :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Personal Diaries”