Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Pauline

Post by millerd »

It was lovely to see you again, Pauline - I shall refrain from publishing the action photos... :) Great shots of familiar butterflies - you did better than I with the purple angle! :)

Cheers,

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Dave on all accounts :D It was lovely to see you again too. I shall be returning (very soon) for one final shot at the PE's.

Cheers Goldie - the WLH's were everywhere. This weather is just crazy!

Cheers Wurzel - I can sympathise and empathise. After decades working as business analyst for central Gov I am now enjoying my freedom :D

Thank you too David but I'm not too sure about that. In this heat it will be interesting to see just how long the season actually is.

I have some reasonable shots of Purple Hairstreaks with open wings from previous seasons but I have not managed to achieve any this year so that was my target today. We arrived on site at around 9.15am only to receive information from another observer to the effect that I was 4 hours too late!! :shock: :roll: He had taken his at 5.00am. Temperatures were already high, there was a strong breeze and the butterflies alternated between frantic activity and hiding away under leaves. Any attempts at opening wings were thwarted by the strong wind. Many of the butterflies were already showing considerable signs of wear and I did not observe any of them interacting with larva. In these conditions photography was difficult if not impossible. I guess those open wing shots will have to wait for another time .........
P1100465ad.jpg
P1100480ad.jpg
P1100475ad.jpg
P1100441ad.jpg
P1100380ad.jpg
P1100384ad.jpg
P1100390ad.jpg
BTW, it was good to see several Grayling were flying around but not stopping.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just a quick update on the Puss Moth larva. He has shed his skin now for the second time making him 3rd instar I guess. Yeah, I know you've seen this before but you haven't seen this one :wink: Look at the size of the skin he has to eat!!! :lol: Seriously, I've seen them eating the skin plenty of times now but I've never seen them shed it which is what I am trying to do right now!
P1090836ad.jpg
P1090838ad.jpg
Notice the flagellae protruding from the 'tails' which is what they do when a threat is percieved. The threat wasn't me - just a strong gust of wind.
P1090850ad.jpg
P1090852ad.jpg
P1090886ad.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

You may not have obtained the open-winged images you were seeking, Pauline, but you've done one hell of a job getting so close for those PH underside shots. Fantastic effort!

PS - that Puss Moth larva is becoming quite scary!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

I'm still seeking better PH shots as well Pauline, you still have some lovely side views. :D
Your Puss moth is pretty incredible looking. :shock: :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you David and Andrew. To me, the Puss Moth is equivalent to the PE in the moth world. Fantastic looking creature which can spit formic acid, how could I not post a few more shots:
P1100492ad.jpg
P1100501ad.jpg
...and by way of size comparison the Puss Moth larva with the Sallow Kitten larva (both about the same age):
P1100534ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I didn't see either of the PE abs today! I didn't even manage an open-winged shot of the PE today. I don't think anyone did although there were enough of them about. I probably saw about 10 of which 4 came to the ground, a few for quite some time, but with wings clamped tightly shut! Still, worth a few shots despite their choice of cuisine:
P1100576ad.jpg
P1100559ad.jpg
P1100570ad.jpg
P1100550ad.jpg
P1100537ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I thought that just for a change I would post a few random images taken as I looked for other species in the last week or so:
P1090423ad.jpg
White Admiral
P1090431ad.jpg
Comma
P1090267ad.jpg
Worse for wear Speckled Wood
P1100336ad.jpg
DGF - getting nowhere near to that perfect shot :roll:
P1090406ad.jpg
Beautiful demoiselle male (I think)
P1090273ad.jpg
A creche of Shield Bugs?

A couple of Skippers, Large and Small:
P1090242ad.jpg
P1090206ad.jpg
after an early evening watching PE I stopped off at Broxhead and was surprised to see the SSB still active just after 7.00pm:
P1090466ad.jpg
P1090446ad.jpg
P1090503ad.jpg
Common Blue Damselfly?

Green-veined White in the garden:
P1090904ad.jpg
Guess I'd better stop now :lol:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

I love the images of the Puss Moth Larva, brings back memories of when I used to find them as a nipper :D

Great shots of the Purple Hairstreaks and Emperors too and particularly that White Admiral underside :D

All the best,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking sets of random shots Pauline and blinding Emperor ones too :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I reckon that is a Beautiful and not Banded :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I just love that image of the Green Veined White with the ethereal green background, Pauline. Beautiful composition.

You seem to be doing rather well with the colour purple right now too. :)

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for your lovely comments Neil :D . Hope you're having a good weekend. Stand by for some moths next :roll:

Cheers Wurzel - still haven't managed that quadruple purple yet! Bumped into Philzoid today :) (you probably already know that by now :lol: )

I liked that one too David. I'm not doing too bad this year with the PE it's true - probably seen more than I ever have in one season but all very unco-operative :roll: . I was looking today too and was totally alone (initially) when I found one settled on the ground. Now in all my years looking at PE's I have only ever seen an Empress twice so I am not sure about the ID of this one but whichever way I turned, and whether the butterfly was in sun or shade, I could catch no glimpse of purple - just a velvety brown. Unfortunately she had a large chunk out of her wing but I wonder if either yourself, or some other expert, could confirm the gender please?
P1100779ad.jpg
P1100761ad.jpg
P1100774ad.jpg
I saw a couple of others at The Straits (which was very crowded) but they were doing that skittish thing, running anlong the gravel and pausing for 3 secs so I won't post any more shots. Great to see you again Nick.

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline
looks good for a male to me - bold underside markings, wings not 'rounded' and the white border spots on hind wings a bit dull - stand to be corrected tho. There are good numbers of females out at Alice Holt - saw six yesterday.
Kind regards
Mark

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Mark - very happy to take your word for it - you've been watching Emperors too long to get it wrong :) . You forget that I have personally seen you identify a female at quite some distance tho' how you do it I'm not sure :?

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Last night for the third time this season I put out the moth trap, hoping for better than last time. The first thing I saw when I opened it was a Hornet which made my heart sink. Some might remember last year the death and destruction caused by one of these in the trap, one of the victims being that gorgeous Burnished Brass. As I began to explore the contents I was pleasantly surprised. I had 3 Elephant Hawk-moth :D . Now that is my kind of moth :lol:
P1100618ad.jpg
P1100668ad.jpg
P1100667ad.jpg
I discovered an old favourite of mine - well, 3 to be precise - the Buff-tip:
P1100708ad.jpg
Now this might surprise some but I don't believe I have ever saw a Mayfly so I had to look this up - lovely looking creature and it wasn't until I looked at the shots that I noticed it seemed to be laying eggs? - or is that just another ridiculous observation :roll: :
P1100652ad.jpg
P1100652bd.jpg
I don't think I've ever seen the Dot moth in the trap before so that was a nice surprise:
P1100693ad.jpg
Buff Ermine:
P1100680ad.jpg
and a Green Silver-lines (my favourite colour :) ):
P1100734ad.jpg
P1100704ad.jpg
There were many, many more which included I believe Common Footman, Small Magpie, Brimstone, Rosy Footman, Riband Wave and this really pretty little micro moth which I can't identify unless it is Ancylis achatana:
P1100606ad.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of micros and other moths Pauline :D Philzoid did mention that he'd bumped into you :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful moths, Pauline, particularly the Elephant Hawk Moth, which is always a welcome sight,

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots of the PHS Pauline and the Emperor's, :mrgreen: :D I hope to meet up with both this Coming week-end Goldie :D

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Pauline those purple Hair shots (the two feeding ones ) are superb ! well captured ,the Purple Hairs that I,ve been watching
are still obsessed with the forming Acorns ,and early morning I,ve now seen them descending down onto the Bramble patches ,but even then the interest ,seems to be in the forming Blackberries ,anyway once again great shots !!
Regards Allan.W.

bailey1409

Post by bailey1409 »

Hi Pauline

Your last image of the micro is a Rhyacionia pinicolana.

Last night until 11.30pm I had 38 species at the moth lamp. Mostly what you are getting but I am still awaiting a Dot moth.

Cheers

Maurice

Return to “Personal Diaries”