Arnside Knott

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Mark Spedding

Arnside Knott

Post by Mark Spedding »

Just thought I'd mention this site as being one of the best butterfly sites in Northrn England.

Yesterday I saw, quite easily, Northern Brown Argus, High Brown Fritillary (lots of them), Grayling - I think these are early, and, Small Pearl Bordered Frit which I wasn't expecting there.

Last year, later in July, I've seen many Dark Green Frits and Scotch Argus.

All of these are good quiality butterflies for up here in the North.

On top of that you get some stunning views over the Morcambe Bay area and the Lakeland hills and Pikes.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Totally agree. I visited Arnside Knott and Meathop Moss (other side of Morecambe Bay, for Large Heath) earlier this week and the number of butterflies at both sites is just stunning!

I saw 50+ "large" fritillaries at Arnside, of which 30+ settled to be identified. Of these only 2 were High Brown, so it looks like they're now emerging in numbers. Also saw 2 Northern Brown Argus and 2 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (very worn). But no Grayling :(

I hope to visit again in August for Scotch Argus. I saw them last year, but it was their first day of emergence, and I'd love to see them in profusion!

Cheers,

- Pete
eric garnett

dark green and high brown

Post by eric garnett »

hi

yea great site cant miss the dark green and high brown got some great pics every time i go got to get there again soon i always walk form car park straight across the knoll to the dip againt the wall get a bit of shelter from the breeze never seen small pearl i go to wharton gragg great spot there always 10 or so in a small spot thats sheltered by trees must send some pics when i figure out how to do it

best

eric
eric

large heath

Post by eric »

hi pete

just reread your comments did you say 50 large heaths at meathop were exactly and were did you park never been

thanks

eric
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Eric,

I parked at http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x ... &st=4&ar=Y

You'll see a wooden gate, with a path to the right. Go down the path and you'll see a wooded area in front of you, and the other side of the boggy area which the path takes you around. Meathop Moss is on the other side of the wooded area.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

- Pete
eric garnett

meathop moss

Post by eric garnett »

hi pete

thanks for replying plan to go this weekend ill call in at arnside as well thanks for the info much appreciated
photos iv got some nice images you may be intrested in whats the best way of getting them to you

best

eric
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Eric,

If they're really big (>30Mb total) then it would be easier for me if they're burned to CD and snail-mailed :)

Otherwise, email is fine (pete@ukbutterflies.co.uk)

Alternatively, create smaller images. The maximum size used on the website is 800 pixels by 800 pixels, but anything larger is fine also since I can then shrink further at my end.

Cheers,

- pete

Post by Guest »

We visited Arnside Knott on 7th July. Swarming with Dark Green Fritillaries, but this made it ultimately too time consuming to look for High Browns ! We also failed to find Northern Brown Argus here, but moved on to Gait Barrows where there were fewer big Fritillaries, but 7 out of 9 seen well enough to identify were High Browns. We also saw 2 Northern Brown Argus here on the Yew trail, so maybe Gait Barows might be a better site for people with limited time looking for these two spp at the moment.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Is there a campsite any of you would recommend near Arnside Knott?

I'm popping over there on thursday 27th July and staying over til the Saturday.

(or is there a forest I can hide my tent in? hehe)

Wayne
Oy

Post by Oy »

There used to be a small site near Far Arnside that allowed tents.

I'm up the Knott today so I'll have a look.
Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks Oy :-)
Wayne
Oy

Post by Oy »

The site doesn't seem to be there now :(

There's a YHA on the Arnside side of the Knott though.
Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hmm I'm not a youth!!

Perhaps I can hide my tent in some trees somewhere ;-)
Wayne
Martin

Post by Martin »

Wayne wrote:Hmm I'm not a youth!!

Perhaps I can hide my tent in some trees somewhere ;-)
They take all ages :lol:

Martin.

Return to “Sites”