Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Trevor, we were at the Moss for quite awhile just waiting for one to come reasonably near for a shot :D

I also took a shot of this lovely little Moth which I forgot to post before and also this view of the hill taken from Foulshaw Moss , which is just across from the Moss on the A590. Latterbarrow NR is not too far a way also just off the A590.
I took a photo of this lovely Orchid at Latterbarrow, the hillside was full of different orchids , It was just slightly worn but worth a shot I thought :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Moth Foulshaw Moss 7th June 2018.jpg
fullsizeoutput_95e2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_95e1.jpeg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Today we went to Southport and in the Dunes we saw loads of Small Heath, we lost count there were so many, it's the first time I'd actually got close enough to get lot's of shots some of which ,( two in particular were unusual to say the least) :roll: :D
Also we saw a Five Spot Burnett and a few Common Blue but all seemed well worn, I was looking for the Dark Green Fritillary but it didn't put in an appearance today.
Again the weather was hot but we've had some rain tonight, I never thought I'd be so pleased to see the rain :D After weeks of dry weather and having to water the garden it was very welcome. :D May be more Butterflies will come out of hiding now :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Small Heath 10th June 2018 (3).jpg
Small Heath 10th June 2018 (1).jpg
Small Heath 10th June 2018 (3).jpg
fullsizeoutput_9630.jpeg
Five Spot Burnett 10th June 2018.jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

What is going on there, Goldie - is it just emerging from its pupa?
I saw a comment from you yesterday about the Large Heath so I went chasing it today! BTW Fernilee Reservoir is a good place to see Dark Green Frits according to BC Cheshire's website :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Janet, you should get some shots of the Large Heath, I believe they've had some rain up there which should help them, it was so hot when we were there, good luck! :D
I've looked at the two shots I took and I'm thinking there's another Small Heath in there some where, I'm sure that's another antenna in there. :D I'll have to leave it to the experts :D Goldie :D
Thanks for the info on the DGF's, I was thinking I'd try Arnside Knott , it's looking like the weather may be breaking down mid week
so we'll have to wait a while.Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Goldie there are indeed another pair of antenna in there as you've captured a pair in mid cop :D That looks like quite an advanced position from the butterfly karma sutra :shock: :oops: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I couldn't believe it when I saw the shots :lol: :oops: I didn't know wether to post them or not :lol: Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Great you saw so many Small Heaths, Goldie. It's a species seemingly very much on the decline.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David thanks for your post, I've been to the Dunes loads of times and seen the Small Heath but never so many, they were every where, I nearly stood on one at one point, it was great to see them. Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Well done with those spots and shots of the LH and NBA Goldie. :mrgreen: :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Andrew, it was one of those good days :D

I'd an hour to spare today,( I've been trying to catch up gardening and house work) :D so i thought I'd pop over to Hall-Lee-Brook just in case the LS and MB had finally arrived, the Large Skipper was there but no meadow Brown, mind you another field had been cut so that wasn't too surprising :roll:
I saw the Speckled Wood first, it looked in good condition to the ones I'd seen before so i couldn't resist a shot of it :D
I saw the Male Skipper has well as the Female, one Skipper was very dark compared to the others but with very bright markings, so I think this one was very fresh .
Tonight we're expecting a storm so no more Butterflies for a while :( Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_1535.jpg
IMG_1553.jpg
IMG_1545.jpg
IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1546.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Large Skipper shots Goldie :D The Meadow Browns won't be far behind :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I hope the grass cutting hasn't affected the Meadow Brown too much :roll:
It's wild outside at present, the wind's blowing the tree's like mad and we're just on the edge of the Storm, hope fully the Butterflies are hiding :) Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Great to see female Large Skippers out and about, Goldie. I've not come across one in my neck of the woods yet, but I hope it won't be long!

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

I love that dark female LS Goldie - she's really beautiful. :D The storm has certainly put the tin hat on butterflies this weekend hasn't it.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, it shouldn't be too long before you see them :D
Hi! Janet, thanks for your post, we'd a real storm today didn't we :( But the forecast for Tuesday seems okay, I'm going to make a Bee line (hope fully) for NE Ainsdale Dunes has many as 30 DGF were seen there a couple of days ago, the weather is poor for the Lakes so I'm glad we went when we did :D Maybe the Grayling will be out has well. :D
I liked the Dark LS as well, she certainly stood out against the others, no meadow Browns yet but hope fully get this awful weather out of the way and they'll be out.Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, that's an attractive female Large Skipper, Goldie - I've only seen males so far this year, and the female is a nice contrast. :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Dave, she was certainly a lovely Butterfly, really standing out against the others with her darkness and really gold markings
Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

That female Large Skipper certainly is well marked, Goldie :D

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, I thought so too :lol: the weather forecast for today was not very good but I'm looking at Sunshine outside now so I think I'll pop out and see if I can find her again. :D Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots Goldie!, I too love the female Skipper. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”