Janet Turnbull

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Gary.N

Re: Janet Turnbull

Post by Gary.N »

Very nice series of SSB's, Janet. And I love your Large heath shots. :D It has been a long time since I saw my last and only Large Heaths.

Gary

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Janet Turnbull

18th June: Black Hairstreaks at Glapthorn Cow Pastures

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Thank you, Mike and Gary :D it was a lucky day for me at Prees Heath! And as you see, I also got lucky with the Black Hairstreaks :D :D

I set off in dull Manchester weather but as I drove south the skies cleared and by the time I reached Glapthorn it was very sunny and hot. a single Blackstreak greeted me near the gate and before long I found a group of photographers gathered round a bramble bush. There were three or four BHs - nothing like the huge numbers reported last week but considering the rough weekend weather I was glad there were any left at all, and a couple of these were looking rather the worse for wear. There was, however a couple of lovely fresh specimens and one female was ovipositing although I could not capture the actual egg.
IMG_8256 Black HS1.jpg
IMG_8268 Black HS2.jpg
IMG_8274 Black HS3.jpg
IMG_8277 Black HS4.jpg
IMG_8324 Black HS5.jpg
Wandering round the woods alone, I had just found my first Ringlet of the year
IMG_8286 First Ringlet.jpg
and watched a Meadow Brown being chatted up
IMG_8283 Meadow Brown chatup.jpg
when I was joined by another lady, Barbara, who lived nearby and we then explored the woods together. Barbara noticed this pair of Buff-tip moths pretending to be twigs - they were quite unconcerned at our presence.
IMG_8315 Buff-tip moths=crop.jpg
IMG_8317 Buff-tip moths.jpg
Returning to the Hairstreak bushes, I snapped this enormous fly as it nectared on the brambles and a rather striking fly with very long antennae landed on my phone before crawling onto my old wrinkly hand which Mark Colvin has kindly identified as the ornate Myrid bug Miris striatus
IMG_8333 big fly.jpg
IMG_8302 Long horned fly.jpg
IMG_8305 fly on hand.jpg
and a battalion of flies ready to face an enemy
IMG_8280 flies on a post.jpg
As Barbara and I set off back towards the parked cars, we met the warden, Dick Smith, out on his rounds and looking to see if the Siver Washed Fritillaries were flying yet. As we had also looked but not seen any, we went with him to the favoured Frit hunting ground, but although they are expected any day now, they were not there for us. Dick did, however, point out a couple of lizards sunbathing on a tree stump.
IMG_8346 Lizard.jpg
Off to Somerset tomorrow! :D :D
Last edited by Janet Turnbull on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I was there last week. Janet. They have a very short flight season-they will probably be gone by next week- so well done for visiting, I’m glad you were rewarded!

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

essexbuzzard wrote:I was there last week. Janet. They have a very short flight season-they will probably be gone by next week- so well done for visiting, I’m glad you were rewarded!
Thanks, EB - it was well worth the effort even though I got caught up in a massive jam on the M6 coming home!

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It was great that you found your Black Hairstreak, :D Janet, and in the nick of time too :wink:

Mike

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great variety in your reports Janet. Lovely SSB's, and well done with the Black Hairstreak. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Blackstreaks Janet :D :mrgreen: Really like the squadron of flies preparing for a raid :D :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Janet.
Janet Turnbull wrote:Returning to the Hairstreak bushes, I snapped .... and a rather striking fly with very long antennae landed on my phone before crawling onto my old wrinkly hand..
This is not a fly but the rather ornate Myrid bug Miris striatus.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

And your large fly is a type of Hoverfly Volucella pullucens :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Mark Colvin wrote:Hi Janet.

This is not a fly but the rather ornate Myrid bug Miris striatus.
Thanks Mark - I was hoping someone could identify it - it's very handsome.
bugboy wrote:And your large fly is a type of Hoverfly Volucella pullucens :)
Thanks, Bugboy - it doesn't look built to lift off, never mind hover! :lol:

Janet Turnbull

19 June: Somerset

Post by Janet Turnbull »

After yesterday's drive I glad to be a passenger for the journey today. After being greeted by our hosts - who are former colleagues of mine - and chatted about old times over tea and cakes, Alan and I set out to find the local butterfly hotspot. It was nearly 7pm and most sensible butterflies had gone to bed but there were a few still up and I scored another lifer - but the photo isn't great so I'll wait until hopefully I can do better.
However, there were Soldier beetles busy creating armies to take over the world, a Five-spot Burnet, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and my first Marbled White of the year.
IMG_3160 Making an army.jpg
IMG_3161 Iris with soldier beetltes.jpg
20180619_193633 Five spot Burnet.jpg
IMG_3194 Meadow Brown=s.jpg
IMG_3201 Marbled White=s.jpg

Janet Turnbull

20th June: Somerton

Post by Janet Turnbull »

We took a picnic and spent most of the day near Somerton and were rewarded with numerous Large Blues. A particularly fresh specimen stayed put for 15 minutes before taking off
IMG_8444 LB5=crop.jpg
IMG_8445 LB4=crop.jpg
IMG_8453 LB3=crop.jpg
IMG_8460-LB=crop.jpg
Common Blue, Small Heath, Meadow Brown (one of which had a double eye spot, making me think at first it was a Gatekeeper)
IMG_8538 Double spot Meadow Brown.jpg
Ringlet, Marbled White,
IMG_8398 Marbled White2.jpg
IMG_8402 Marbled White1.jpg
IMG_8481 2xMarbled White.jpg
Brown Argus, Small Tortoiseshell. On the higher path there were fewer butterflies but a Painted Lady (first this year) landed on the path in front of us. She was very flighty and I only got one snap and that was only just enough for ID. Later in the lane close to the cottage I found Comma,
IMG_8584 Comma.jpg
Speckled Wood, Green-veined White, Large Skippers, and a very tired-looking Red Admiral.
There were several Broad Bodied Chasers, a gorgeous Banded Demoiselle and a large green dragonfly, but the green one would not settle.
IMG_8621 Broad bodied chaser.jpg
IMG_8630 Banded demoiselle2.jpg
IMG_8635 Banded demoiselle1.jpg
A fabulous day - I came back to the cottage totally sated!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant stuff Janet :D Lovely Large Blues, I tried for those on Sunday but it was just not sunny enough :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes, well done again Janet, especially on the Large Blue open wing picture, which is not always easy to achieve.

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Wurzel wrote:Brilliant stuff Janet :D Lovely Large Blues, I tried for those on Sunday but it was just not sunny enough :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Just luck, isn't it Wurzel! Considering the distance we've come, on a holiday planned for ages, I can't believe how fortunate we've been with the weather.
essexbuzzard wrote:Yes, well done again Janet, especially on the Large Blue open wing picture, which is not always easy to achieve.
Thank you, EB. After sifting through 300 photos just from the day, I was so tired that my account has come out really flat and prosaic and just doesn't convey the thrill and excitement we felt at actually seeing these beautiful creatures.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Fantastic Large Blues, Janet. I would have to make a four hour round trip to see them. Not something I can do at the moment. I am even more envious because I have never seen one. I remember when I was a kid I collected wildlife cards from tea packets and for some reason, I don't know why - the picture card of the Large Blue has stuck in my mind all these years (and believe me - that is a LOT of years). :lol:

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful Large Blues, Janet, and well done with the Black Hairstreaks at Glapthorn. This is one species that is gone as soon as you realise they are there.

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

ernie f wrote:... I would have to make a four hour round trip to see them. Not something I can do at the moment. ..
Well Ernie, we're on holiday in Somerset, from Manchester, specifically to see them! Couldn't do it in a day, that's for sure!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done with the Large Blue. They wouldn't open their wings for me last year.
The gatherings at Collard tend to be people from all over the Country.

Trevor.

Janet Turnbull

21 June: Haddon Hill for Heath Fritillaries

Post by Janet Turnbull »

The weather still held and we parked in the layby on Haddon Hill. ALmost as soon as we started down the hill, a Clouded Buff moth caught Alan's eye (he's the best spotter!) and an almost entirely white moth which may be a Small White Wave. Other strangers to me were the large brown-cased beetles which could be Japanese Beetles - amazing antennae! The slope contained bracken, gorse and brambles but where it thinned out the butterflies were happily nectaring on the bramble flowers. They were so amenable to being photographed although I didn't manage to get close enough to have them on my fingers. So, first, the stars of the day:
IMG_8677 Heath Frit1=crop.jpg
IMG_8687 Heath frit5.jpg
IMG_8694 Heath frit4=crop.jpg
IMG_8724 Heath frit2=crop.jpg
IMG_8714 Heath Frit3=crop.jpg
IMG_8665 2xHeath frits.jpg
There was a solitary Green Hairstreak basking on the young Birch leaves.
IMG_8721 Green Hairstreak=crop.jpg
And the secondary players: Clouded Buff
IMG_8647 Clouded Buff.jpg
Japanese Beetle
IMG_8653 Japanese Beetle.jpg
Small White Wave?
IMG_8671 White moth.jpg
Forester
IMG_8728 Forester=crop.jpg
And a Golden Ring dragonfly which was on the lookout for a mate - he suddenly darted off, grabbed a female and proceeded to dart back and forth with her in tow.
IMG_8706 Golden ringed dragonfly.jpg
After a wonderful exlporation of the steam trains and beaches at Watchet where there was a lovely Scarlet Tiger on the pavement (should have made it open its wings :roll: )
IMG_3265 Scarlet Tiger.jpg
We made our way back to Somerton and, it being the summer solstice, captured a long distance view of Glastonbury Tor at sunset.
IMG_8732-ed Glastonbury Tor sunset=s.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”