Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Katrina

Post by David M »

Great images, Katrina. SSB's are amongst the most photogenic of all UK species and you have captured them beautifully.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I joined the party at Ditchling Common today. It was a pleasure to spend the afternoon with Trevor, Dave, Dave, Colin, Mark, James , Vince and many other familiar faces and some new. (including Maximus)The Black Hairstreaks were coming down and posing for us regularly and there were many happy enthusiasts in the sun.
Also seen were Meadow Browns, Speckled Woods and Large Skippers.
Attachments
DSC02659.jpg
DSC02651.jpg
fullsizeoutput_23ec.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_23ed.jpeg
DSC02606.JPG
fullsizeoutput_23f8.jpeg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Katrina of a species I've yet to see, though Ditchling is still a bit too far :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice shots there, Katrina - probably the most photographed butterflies in the country today! :) We should have arranged a visitors' book for the day!

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely to see you again today, and you obtained some wonderful images.
I'm glad your visit was worthwhile.

Best wishes,
Trevor

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great little posers aren't they Katrina :) I can just picture the orderly queues forming behind each one :lol:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It was nice to meet you yesterday, Katrina, and you got some lovely images :)

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

I don't blame you for following the crowd, Katrina. Not only was this rare and normally difficult butterfly present in unusually large numbers, but its propensity to 'sit' on bracken at this site means that photographing it appears far easier than at many (if not all) of its more northerly locations.

Katrina

Knepp

Post by Katrina »

I visited Knepp today and saw an astonishing number of Purple Emperors flying. I didn't count them but they were so common as to become part of the normal background. I only found one on the ground and for just a brief time, probably due to my late start. Also seen were Purple Hairstreaks, Commas, White Admirals, Large Skippers, Meadow Browns and a Red Admiral.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_23ff.jpeg

trevor

Post by trevor »

You're off the mark, Katrina !, at possibly the most exciting time of the season.
Chiddingfold will be my second home this week. :D .

Trevor.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Katrina - Brown Hairstreaks then massive numbers of Purple Emperors. You must be over the moon.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Katrina - I meant Black Hairstreak - not Brown as per my last post. I am getting a bit ahead of myself. :lol:

Ernie F
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

The season does seem to be going rapidly in that direction!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Katrina :D :mrgreen: Emperors so common they became just part of the background :shock: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel, it certainly was unusual to see so many

Katrina

Botany Bay Landings

Post by Katrina »

I had a wonderful morning at Botany Bay. On arrival I met Andrew, then later Trevor and several other like-minded enthusiasts.
I saw at least 7 Emperors on the ground although not all stayed long. Thanks to my companions for pointing out one of the Emperors had reduced markings.
I had been hoping to get my first all four wings purple shot - I practiced and managed with a damaged Emperor and kind of did but not sure it counts due to the lack of wing material!
Attachments
Reduced Markings Closed Wing
Reduced Markings Closed Wing
Reduced Markings Open Wing
Reduced Markings Open Wing
Purple Emperor 1
Purple Emperor 1
Nearly 4 Purple Wings
Nearly 4 Purple Wings

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well done Katrina- you couldn't ask for better underside shots and that ab. is what I'd hoped to see :mrgreen: Pity about the 'broken' purple one else I reckon you would have nailed it :D Maybe you should practice on a one with 4 wings next time :wink: :) as you've clearly got the hang of it :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Pauline. Mainly they were not opening their wings much today but I will have another go sometime I’m sure :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Katrina, they do look kind of familiar :wink: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Very nice Katrina, it was a great morning. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”