Jack Harrison

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Jack Harrison

Re: Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The Thane of Cawdor

I call him Hamish Cawdor. He doesn't seem to mind the familiarity.

I met Hamish as an egg four weeks ago in a wild part of Cawdor Castle grounds. I rescued him from his arch enemies, Blue Tits and Coal Tits. Last night, Hamish decided that he was bored being a caterpillar

Hamish should show his true colours next May as a beautiful Orange Tip. He will be released in his ancestral homeland

Jack

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:Hamish should show his true colours next May as a beautiful Orange Tip. He will be released in his ancestral homeland
Well done, Jack. Sounds like Orange Tips have had a decent year everywhere in the UK.

I hope your pupa develops successfully into a 2019 adult!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Hamish's sibling Jamie Cawdor, is now a happy chrysalis.

The Lethen clan members (I live in a hamlet by that name) are developing slowly.

Before the winter, say late September, they will be brought indoors and live in their containers in the fridge where temperature will be around 4C to 5C. They will then be put outside in the shed mid to late April to emerge some four weeks later to be in synch with the normal flight season here.

I have found that this fridge treatment is a good way to avoid unnaturally early emergence. From time to time, I check for mould, etc, but that's not normally a problem.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The Lethen Clan have started to pupate. This one was missed so hadn't been boxed up.
OT.jpg
It is still on its larval food, Sweet Rocket (aka Dame's Violet).
Seen in silhouette, the pupa resembles a dried up leaf giving it excellent camouflage.

I am about to watch Ing-err-land.
Douggie Lethen (watching from the corner of the room) being a true Scot, will no doubt be supporting Tunisia :evil:

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

I'm sure you had a good night of verbal combat, Jack. :D Please keep us updated on the progress of the pupae.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The Cawdor and Lethen Clans are doing well and nearly fully grown. Add to those, another taken by accident when I topped up with [food] Hedge Garlic from beside the river Nairn at Fishertown. As far as I am aware, that is the only member of Clan Fisher but they can "lurk" undetected.

Excellent bonus (or is it?) ion the garden today: female large White, only the second I have seen in Scotland since I moved here six years ago: despite the distribution maps, Large Whites are scarce and might be present only as occasional immigrants forming short-lived colonies.
I question bonus or otherwise. I enjoy nasturtiums in gardens. So do Large Whites.

Also nearby today, singlet Ringlet. Wife saw one on Wednesday - on a horse. Stella was on a horse, not the Ringlet in case you are confused :x

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Orange Tip observations

I have bred 30, 40 - maybe 50 Orange Tips this year, the survivors now all chrysalises. Many were found as eggs laid on Sweet Rocket (Dame’s Violet) in the garden, others when a patch of Sweet Rocket was cut down on a nearby road verge. Others were collected accidentally when I topped up the food supply (mainly from the entrance road to local recycling centre!). They were on the food plants in pots of water until just before pupation when they were boxed to avoid escape.

Finding enough food has been a major challenge lately. It seems that the butterfly flight season isn’t quite in synchrony with the development of the developing seed pods necessary for the caterpillars. Yes, it has been very hot and dry but the seed pods had virtually "gone over" by middle of June. This would be fine but here in north Scotland the adult butterflies don’t emerge until May, rather later than in south England.

My observations suggest two things.

The caterpillars might have to pupate prematurely and could explain why so many adult Orange Tips here are small.

Secondly – cannibalism. I had previously seen large caterpillars accidentally munching their way through small ones. But now when I ran out of food (I just could not find any new supplies) some of my medium size caterpillars simply vanished. (Remember – they were boxed). I have no proof but I have to suspect that in the absence of vegetation big ones ate their younger cousins

Thoughts?

Jack

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Jack

I think it is fairly well documented that Orange Tips have cannibalistic tendencies. I have read that an egg-laying female leaves behind a pheromone to warn other females not to lay on the same plant. This is an extract from Adrian Hoskinns' website:

Orange tip larvae are noted for their cannibalistic tendencies. This may have evolved because some of the larval foodplants ( e.g. cuckoo flower ) only produce enough seed pods and foliage to sustain a single larva through to full development.

Having said that I have reared them reasonably successfully more than once without them eating each other but there was plenty of food.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks for that input Pauline.

I certainly knew that Orange Tips can be cannibalistic but as I indicated, my previous experience suggested that this was “accidental” (ie big larva just happening to eat a small one). Now what I have found would seem to confirm the idea that one set of seed pods can support only one larva to maturity. I hadn’t heard that before but it makes a lot of sense. So I haven’t in fact discovered anything new although it was new to me.

Jack

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Along with the pheromones theory it may also explain why they turn a bright orange. Given the males coloration we can safely presume they are quite well attuned to orange so this would be another warning to a female not to waste her eggs on one that's already laid on.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Hedge Garlic (aka jack-by-the-hedge) dcoesn't seem to be all that common in this part of Scotland and another Orange Tip food plant, Cuckoo Flower is even more scarce. This thread about one larva per flower (seed) spike might go towards explaining why Orange Tips, while not rare here, are not as numerous as they are in the south. Most of my finds this year were eggs.

While cannibalism in Orange Tips might seem a little bizarre, it is a sensible evolutionary strategy: better to have one larva surviving by eating is weaker cousin than both larva perishing through starvation.

In the animal world, competition for resources is the norm and limits population size.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

A repost (edited slightly)

It is 70+ years since my first real butterfly season, the fine summer of 1947. I was eight years old. Interest had begun two years earlier. However by 1947, I had a couple of “proper” books (Ford and South*). 1947 became the “big year”.

*Blowing my own trumpet here. I won “South” as a school prize.

Home was the outskirts of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk and within easy walking distance of the countryside. Dad was a newspaper reporter; Mum stayed at home and looked after my sister Jennifer (born in early 1947) and me. We would go out every fine afternoon – and there were many fine days that summer – to look for butterflies.

In those carefree days, I was frequently allowed out on my own provided I stayed close to home. Traffic was minimal and harmful grown-ups were still in the future. (But see later comments with reference to Clouded Yellows!) Building along the ribbon estate where I lived had been halted by World War 2 and there were a few gaps – excellent waste ground for finding butterflies. A two-house gap, perhaps 120 metres from home, was excellent. It even had a small bomb crater where the exposed sub-soil allowed different vegetation to thrive.

I have vague recollections of that bomb: it was probably the occasion when a house window was blown in. A line of small craters was visible long after the war, including the one in the “gap”. Great Yarmouth was a naval base so a target for German bombers. However, I don’t think the Luftwaffe particularly targeted 121 Burgh Road where I lived – more likely just poor aim when they were trying to hit the Royal Navy.

“TheGap” as we called it, was excellent. It was rough and full of wild flowers. A neighbouring garden even had a buddleia hanging over into the “Gap”. I would spend hours here and although memories have naturally become coloured over the years, my “Gap” butterfly list ran something like this:

Large Skipper, Small Skipper

Small White, Large White, Green-veined White, Orange Tip

Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Peacock (on that buddleia)

Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Hedge Brown (as I called it then and still prefer the name), Wall Brown (common in those days) and once or twice, Small Heath

Common Blue, Brown Argus (yes, I am sure of the identity), Small Copper

I remember the first time I saw the underside of a Common Blue. As I didn’t have a decent illustrated guide in 1946, I had no idea what a blue might be like underneath. I was entranced when I first saw it.

An elderly widow/spinster lived in the adjacent house. Mrs. Cobby’s garden rivalled the Gap – never cultivated. It was a paradise. Moreover, the old lady had terrible eyesight so I could sneak in unnoticed and chase Browns, Skippers and other regular species. Early one morning I caught a sparkling male Common Blue. I proudly took it to school in a jam jar to show the headmaster. To my great annoyance, he declared quite firmly that it was a moth. As an eight year old, I probably realised at that moment that adults weren’t always right!

Along the roadsides and hedges near home, more in the nature of lanes in those days, Holly Blues (never common) were always exciting. Painted Ladies were occasional, although one dusty lane seemed to attract them - we called it “Painted Lady Lane”. Graylings were scarce but regular near where a railway line crossed the track. It was only later that I realised the significance of the railway linear habitat. Many years later I found out that Graylings occurred in good numbers on the dunes at the north end of Great Yarmouth (known as North Denes) and also on some inland heathland, long since destroyed by a caravan camp, golf course and agricultural “improvement”. (Belton Common)

In spite of suggestions that Commas did not occur in East Anglia in the 1940s, I found one or two as early as 1947. A real excitement was a Silver Washed Fritillary in the garden, no doubt a stray from woodland a few miles away (probably Fritton Woods, sadly private then and it still is to this day). Oppose the house on a tall privet hedge, I caught a tatty Purple Hairstreak, so tatty that it took a while to confirm that it wasn’t a White-letter. Brimstones were to be found along the lanes but especially in the damper areas near the marshes. In fact although Green-veined Whites occurred in many locations, damp lanes near the marshes were the most reliable habitat

A Small Skipper in the garden annoyed my dad, a moderately keen gardener. I quoted from some source or other that they liked overgrown tall rough grass. Dad was proud of his lawn.

My first encounter with Ringlets had been the previous year August 1946 but by then they were very worn. I couldn’t wait for 1947. I had first seen Orange Tips also in 1946 and caught what mum and I called a “freak”: it had no orange. My only identification guide then was a few pages in Children’s Encyclopaedia that showed only male Orange Tips. Mum was very enthusiastic but had no more knowledge than I had so it was a wonderful upbringing learning together.

Mum was patient and long suffering. During our afternoon butterfly walks we would often meet the “Butterfly Postman” who was making his afternoon rounds on his bike (yes, two deliveries in those days). I suspect – although of course only with hindsight – that he had a bit of a soft spot for my 32 year old mother; maybe the appeal was mutual? I liked the “Butterfly Postman”: he was rather like an extra uncle who took a kindly interest in my butterflies. One exciting afternoon: “Look at this!“ he said. Resting on his post bag was a Clouded Yellow. I had never seen one before but knew immediately what it was. He had caught it near a gate into a field. Next day of course, Mum and I had to return to that lane and the gateway. And there they were: dozens of Clouded Yellows dancing over a Lucerne field. I bravely trespassed (I knew I wasn’t supposed to) and caught a couple. Joy.

It was by now time to return to school after the long summer holiday. Next weekend I saw Clouded Yellows again. One exciting day in the garden next to my Grandmother’s was a Comma on Michaelmas daisies. I was scared to trespass this time so that Comma lived another day.

Spring 1948 gave me my first and only Large Tortoiseshell on “Painted Lady Lane”. I know the exact date: it was Cup final Day and records show it to be 24 April. Over the next few years, Dad learnt to drive (after several failed tests!) so we could explore further afield. I can still “see” my first Swallowtail at Catfield Fen. Near Sheringham, Pretty Corner Woods had Pearl-bordered Fritillaries – hardly a surprise but a pleasure nontheless - and Green Hairstreaks (Greenies have remained firm favourites ever since). In July, again no great surprise for that era, I found High Brown Fritillary there. Around 1952 I caught a White Admiral near some Broadland woods (they didn’t apparently occur in that part of East Anglia then: wrong. Compare Comma).

When we went south to the Suffolk coastal heathlands (Sanderlings) Silver-studded Blues were so abundant as not to be worth a mention. They must have occurred on some Norfolk heaths much closer to home but I never saw them there. Similarly, Small Blue probably occurred somewhere (I heard mention of a quarry at Aldeby in south-east Norfolk)

There were some surprising absences. I didn’t discover the dune habitat of north east Norfolk (eg Horsey, Winterton) so Dark Green Fritillary had to wait many years: it had simply not occurred to me that butterflies might thrive very close to the sea. I never saw Speckled Woods and can only presume they were genuinely absent in those days. The first time I met Speckled Woods in East Anglia was Thetford Forest in the early 1980s. Of course they are now widespread. White-letter Hairstreak eluded me then and has in truth never been easy over the past 60 years.

So how have things changed in the past 70 years? Marbled White is moving fast so must be getting close. Essex Skipper has probably been present all along but was missed (although I was aware of the difference compared to Small). Chalkhill Blue seems to have gained a foothold in the north of the county (and I am far from convinced that it isn’t a perfectly natural arrival). Purple Emperor remains an enigma and I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t occur in low numbers, for example the Holt / Sheringham area. When I was young I never went to West Norfolk where I might have found Grizzled and Dingy Skippers. But long gone are Pearl-bordered and High Brown Fritillaries. Wall Brown is presumably scarce or even absent now although ten years ago I could still find it in small numbers on the North Norfolk coast.

I am getting on in years and no-one lasts forever. I have had a full and varied life: a career as a professional pilot for over 40 years, photographer, butterfly and bird enthusiast together with the enjoyment of many other interests. I am in adequate health at the moment and have no plans to depart just yet! But when I do go, please no “Sorry to announce” or “RIPs” etc. It happens to us all eventually. I have no religious beliefs and when my time is up, then all that will be left is memories and my four children. I trust that you will all understand and respect. I might be less active nowadays but I haven’t gone yet! You’ll have to put up with me for a little longer.

Jack

jenks

Post by jenks »

I`m sure I recall reading this previously, and by being moved by it then as I have been now. A very eloquent and fond reminiscence of times past, Jack. I was born in the mid`50`s and remember the freedoms and innocence of of early childhood. The joy of finding out about the natural world as cars were as uncommon then as Duke of Burgundies are now and distractions such as computers and smart phones didn`t exist. Exploration and investigation of rural west Wales was by foot or bicycle with dog as company. I developed an appreciation of nature that won`t leave. As William Wordsworth said "the child is father of the man".

Your contributions, (and occasional cutting wit !), keep us all entertained, Jack.

Regards,

Jenks.

David M

Post by David M »

jenks wrote:I`m sure I recall reading this previously...
Me too, I'm sure you've penned this before, Jack.

It doesn't detract from its impact though. I can almost live the moments through your words.

I'm glad that I'm (just about) old enough to have had no option in my youth but to make my own entertainment outdoors rather than in front of a two-dimensional screen or with a gadget in my hands.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Yes I had posted before as I wrote at the top.

Just a few edits but I reposted mainly for the benefit(?) of new younger members of ukb who maybe hadn't seen the original and probably have only vague notions as to what butterflying was like 70 years ago.

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

Good idea...you can post it every year as far as I'm concerned. It's a lovely read and, as you say, gives an insight into how things were back in the 40s, 50s & 60s.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Not sure how I missed your report Jack - probably because everything is moving very fast at the moment. I don't remember reading it before, thoroughly enjoyed it and can relate to quite a lot of it although it sounds like you had an idyllic childhood :mrgreen:

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Saturday 24th was spent confined to camp. Car had an ECP fault ('Electronic Power Control' in case one or two are ignorant of the jargon) : this is some sort of computer that controls everything. The car refused to start. No car breakdown is ever ‘convenient’ but this happened at home and I might be able to beg (or steal) wife’s Mini Cooper S Roadster. In fact I don’t like that ‘sports car’. It’s harsh and doesn’t really suit my ultra-smooth style of driving. I was never a chauffeur – except when flying airliners – but I understand that the ‘Rolls Royce’ professional chauffeurs have to demonstrate that they can drive without spilling a glass of water!

It was in any case a truly ‘dreich’ day. Although not a native Scot, I can almost feel an honorary status. Words like ‘neaps’ and ‘tatties’ are now part of my vocabulary – and useful words they are too.

So being stuck indoor, I worked on one of my websites. There are butterflies but some other ‘stuff’ (not a sophisticated word but useful nonetheless). I hope you might find an idle moment at look at: http://www.snapperjack.co.uk – and of course point out the errors.

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

I love your little commentaries on day-to-day frustrations, Jack. :)

I've visited your 'snapperjack' site several times and find it very interesting (particularly the black and white shots of yesteryear). I notice you now have a new section regarding Nairn. I will take a look very soon!

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I was in luck with my car. I had thought the three-year warranty expired on 23rd November, the day before the car failed to start. In fact it expires 26th. Skoda sent along a most efficient engineer armed with computers, bluetooth, etc (but not a spanner or screwdriver to be seen); he fiddled with various things and now all appears to be well. He took it out (with me as terrified passenger) for a test drive. He was impressed with the car's snappy performance - so to be honest was I. I'm not an absurdly slow old dodderer but I don't drive on the brakes or use harsh acceleration. If I get worse than 60 mpg, I am disappointed - good fuel consumption is one of the benefits of my style of driving.

Meanwhile, my menagerie of chrysalises "whites various" is fine with just one death (gone brown and soggy). They are still in the cool shed but will transferred to the fridge in the New Year to avoid premature emergence next spring. One sad sight in the shed though was a Tortoiseshell wing on the floor. I presume the culprit was a mouse or a spider.

As for my snapperjack website, it's work-in-progress. I'll be uploading some more shots from the Nairn area and then another smallish section of the more interesting birds I have photographed over the years.

Another of my interests is of course clouds and skies. Here is a x150 time lapse of 2.00 hours real time this morning.
Video lasts 48 seconds. Looks south east.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFPAoIK ... e=youtu.be

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”