Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Andrew555

Post by Wurzel »

A great set of images Andrew you've really managed to make the most of the light to capture the full range of colours on those cracking Coppers :D :mrgreen: Looking forward to your return visit :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Nice Coppers, Andrew, a species most of us only see in small numbers (those living near Dungeness are an exception).

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Wurzel. :D

Thanks David, I think a trip to Dungeness later in the year is in order. :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

07-05-18 Denge Wood

After Noar Hill wetted my appetite, I made a trip to Denge Wood to see some more Duke's, here are some highlights.

The first I saw was in a tree (Field Maple?).
1.jpg
2.jpg
The rest were in the more traditional low down positions.
3.jpg
4.jpg
Among other butterflies seen that day, Green Hairstreak, Brimstone and Orange-tip.
5.jpg
The Brimstone was tucking in heartily. I like the legs in the air. :lol:
6.jpg
7.jpg
The Duke's of Denge did not disappoint, and I left with appetite sated, for a while. :D

Cheers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fabulous shot of the Duke up high Andrew :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That Brimstone seems to have gone all in, it looks like the flower is eating the butterfly :shock: :lol:

Havea goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Aah! Nice to still be seeing fresh Dukes, even if it was 4 weeks ago! Their season is over all too quickly....how I wish they had a regular second brood. :(

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Wurzel, never seen one in a tree before. :D
It does! But rest assured there was no sneaky crab spider that had a hold of it, I watched it fly off safe and sound. :D

Thanks a lot David. :D Yup, still trying to catch up! :oops: :D

Cheers

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I like pics of butterflies in a setting and you have aced it with your Duke on a Field Maple.

Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

Dukes up trees is a new one on me as well - a great piece of behaviour to capture, Andrew. :)

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Ernie and Dave. :D

Two Meadow Browns seen at Abbot's Wood on Saturday.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Things are motoring along now Andrew :D , great shots of the Meadow Browns they can be quite tricky this early in the season :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some marvellous recent images Andrew, it's easy to forget how beautiful even common and ubiquitous species like Meadow Brown's can be when fresh :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Wurzel, this one seemed pretty chill (some cloud helped me out). :D

Thanks Bugboy, very true. :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

13-05-18 Lullington Heath

A return to the Heath to see some more Coppers, but also for other spring species.

The others included Red Admiral, Large White, Green-veined White and my first Brown Argus.
1.jpg
A female Wall in Friston Forest. This was one of those times when your concentrating on something, then you turn around and there's a butterfly sat 10 feet away from you where there wasn't before. :D
2.jpg
My best Small Copper encounter was this male on blossom.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
As the sun got lower I finished off with Grizzled Skipper.
6.jpg
A very worthwhile return. :D

Cheers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's great when butterflies just 'materialize' :D Definitely worth the return visit :D Must be getting close to the Marshie trip?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A Duke up a tree and then a Copper on a hawthorn, great shots Andrew :D

I wish I could turn around and find a Wall Brown behind me...in fact I wish I could find one within 50 miles of where I live.

Cheers,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

That's an odd looking female Wall Brown, Andrew. The markings near the apex of the forewings are unusually faint.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

It really is! :D Luckily the act of turning around didn't scare it off. Yes, close-ish. :D Cheers Wurzel

Thanks a lot Neil. :D 50 miles ? Damn! :(

I don't really know David, I don't think I've seen enough to immediately notice that kind of thing. It does seem so, comparing with others.

Cheers

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

14/05/18 - 19/05/18 East Sussex highlights

Not quite in the same league as Glanvilles and Black Hairstreaks, but here it is anyway. :lol:

I was chuffed with this Large White at Abbot's Wood, a classic 'seen on the way out' number.
1.jpg
I crossed the road at High and Over for the first time, to explore west where I'd heard good things could be seen.
I'd heard right, there was Large White, Green-veined White, Green Hairstreak, Speckled Wood, Brimstone, Red Admiral, Peacock, Comma, Dingy Skipper, Common Blue, Brown Argus and more Wall. But the star was a female Speckled.
2.jpg
3.jpg
Myself and this Dingy Skipper shared a moment on the way up Windover Hill. :D
4.jpg
I continued to enjoy Lullington Heath and Friston Forest with another female Wall, Speckled Yellow moth and my first blue spot female Small Copper. :D
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
Cheers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Andrew, especially like the Dingy on the hand :D I have one of those in my 'in the hand collection' but not as good as that one :D :mrgreen: Cracking Small Copper, a proper 'Blue Badger' :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”