Greenwings: Pyrenées Orientales - 21st to 30th May 2018

David M

Greenwings: Pyrenées Orientales - 21st to 30th May 2018

Post by David M »

For once, this escape to the French Pyrenees saw me leave behind sunny and warm conditions in the UK and swap them for fairly unpredictable weather in the area around Prades.

The hotel owner told me that the week before my arrival, snow had fallen at 1,200m and certainly at higher altitudes the vegetation was significantly behind where one would expect it to be at the end of May.

Compensation was to be had, however, by unusually verdant countryside and I still managed to see 70 butterfly species, along with the glorious views that are part of the experience in this part of the world:
01P1(1).jpg
01P2(1).jpg
01P3(1).jpg
01P4(1).jpg
01P5(1).jpg
David M

Re: Pyrenées Orientales - 21st to 30th May 2018

Post by David M »

Notable species No.1 - Spanish Fritillary

I've spent some considerable time these last three years looking for the extremely rare Spanish Fritillary at its only known site in France and turned up a blank.

So it was again this year, but a solitary male was found randomly in the nearby quarry behaving very like a Knapweed Fritillary, i.e. flying constantly low to the ground and alighting regularly on the stone floor:
01SpanFrit2(1).jpg
01SpanFrit1(1).jpg
This species is now unmistakeable amongst the far more common beckeri form of Marsh Fritillary found in this area, with it's brick red markings and behaviour which marks it out as something quite different to our own aurinia.

These Marsh Frits have a tendency to perch on shrubs and look very distinctive:
01Beckeri(1).jpg
Sadly, there was an excavating machine active in the quarry at the time the Spansh Frit was spotted, so it only stayed around for 5 minutes or so. That said, to see it at all in France is a privilege and was the highlight of the trip for me.
David M

Post by David M »

Notable species No. 2 - Violet Copper

I didn't think I was going to get to see this species as when I visited the site on Wednesday 23rd May the season was so late that the leaves on the trees hadn't properly emerged!

There must have been sufficient warmth and energy between then and the following Sunday, as when I returned there was a territorial male in the usual corner of the damp meadow at the site:
01VioletCopper2(1).jpg
01VioletCopper1(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Notable species No. 3 - Spanish Festoon

Whilst a late season is usually treated with apprehension, one thing it does is ensure that the earlier emerging species are still around. In years gone by, Spanish Festoon has only appeared in small numbers, and usually tatty and faded.

This time however, about two dozen were seen, with many still in good nick:
01SpFestoon(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Notable species No. 4 - Provence Chalkhill Blue

Possibly notable only for it being the first time I've ever seen one! I headed out nearer the coast one afternoon and found this tatty individual, which is clearly coming towards the end of its life.

It would be interesting to know how many are about in early May as I expect they're quite common.
01ProvCHB(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Notable species No. 5 - Provence Orange Tip

This insect is always a delight, but it is very hard to get close to. Thankfully, the frequent cloudy periods saw them regularly becalmed, and at one point it was even possible to coax this male onto the finger. He flew off as soon as the sun returned:
01ProvOTmaleups(1).jpg
An underside view:
01ProvOTmaleuns(1).jpg
....and the more docile female of the species:
01ProvOTfem(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Notable species No. 6 - Iberian Scarce Swallowtail

A beautiful insect, and demonstrably different visually from its podalirius relative.

Not too many seen...maybe 50 or so, but they fly so effortlessly that you can't help being captivated whenever you see them:
01IbScSwallowtail(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Notable species No. 7 - Chequered Blue

Few species are more delightful than a fresh Chequered Blue, and thankfully they weren't in short supply on this trip, cropping up regularly in their usual low to medium numbers:
01CheqBlueups(1).jpg
The undersides are amongst the most attractive of all lycaenids:
01CheqBlueuns(1).jpg
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

70 species ? Wow! :shock: :mrgreen: Spectacular scenery David, but even better butterflies, beautiful. :mrgreen: :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thoroughly enjoying this, David. Your choice for 1st place would be mine too, I think - even not knowing what else you saw! What a great butterfly.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Andrew. Strange as it may seem, 70 species is at the bottom end of what one would normally expect to see at this time of year. The cool May here in the Pyrenees this year suppressed emergences considerably compared to previous visits I've made here.

Guy, I'd love to see more Spanish Fritillaries (particularly females) but I really don't have a clue where they 'hang out' most of the time. I was just grateful to find one!
David M

Post by David M »

Notable species No. 8 - Western Marbled White

This is a lovely butterfly, and quite common below 800m or so around here. Sadly, it is very hard to approach, but on a few occasions there was sufficient cloud to keep them relatively still, and this one sat happily for several minutes to have its photo taken:
01WesternMarbWh(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Notable species No. 9 - Turquoise Blue

I'd given this species the title 'Lonely Blue' because usually when I see them they are in isolation from others of their own kind (and from other butterflies generally), coming down alone on dusty paths.

At the Spanish Fritillary site however, I was forced to abandon this epithet, as I saw dozens of them, making a mockery of my previous assumptions regarding this species.

Here's a male upperside (which is second only to Adonis in its brightness):
01TurqBlmaleups(1).jpg
Beautiful, distinctive undersides too, with the array of 'love hearts':
01TurqBlmaleuns(1).jpg
There were so many at this site, that I saw a mating pair for the first time. Courtship lasted all of 10 seconds:
01TurqBlpair(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Notable species No. 10 - Clouded Apollo

This species is quite infrequent in the Alps during summer, but it's far commoner in late May in the Pyrenees, so much so that it's easy to become a little dismissive of them.

Whilst considerably smaller than Apollo, it nonetheless makes for an imposing sight both on the ground and in the air:
01CloudedApollo(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

General Species

Hesperiidae

1. Mallow Skipper
2. Tufted Marbled Skipper
3. Dingy Skipper
4. Large Skipper
5. Large Grizzled Skipper
6. Oberthurs Grizzled Skipper
7. Safflower Skipper
8. Southern Grizzled Skipper
9. Red Underwing Skipper
10. Lulworth Skipper

Apart from pyrgus malvoides (Southern Grizzled Skipper), this family was relatively scarce during the trip.

Of the pyrgus genus, there were occasional sightings of Large Grizzled Skipper:
01LgeGrizzledSk(1).jpg
....and a handful of Oberthurs:
01Oberthurs(1).jpg
A few Mallow Skippers were recorded during the first couple of days, but they were not seen afterwards:
01MallowSk(1).jpg
About half a dozen magnificent Tufted Marbled Skippers were seen, which was welcome:
01TuftedMbSk(1).jpg
...and maybe 20 or so Red Underwings, including this mating pair:
01RedUwingpair(1).jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Ooooh Spanish Fritillaries! I too am rather enjoying this report, though you get :mrgreen: ! Not jealous in the slightest. Honest!
David M

Post by David M »

Lycaenidae - Blues

11. Brown Argus
12. Provençal Short-Tailed Blue
13. Small Blue
14. Osiris Blue
15. Mazarine Blue
16. Green Underside Blue
17. Adonis Blue
18. Turquoise Blue
19. Common Blue
20. Chapman's Blue
21. Chequered Blue
22. Baton Blue
23. Provence Chalkhill Blue

Green Underside Blue is fairly common at this time of year in the eastern Pyrenees. I reckon I saw approaching 100:
01GrUndBlue(1).jpg
01GrUndBlueuns(1).jpg
Osiris Blue is far more restricted in range, but is common enough in the right habitat:
01Osirisups(1).jpg
01Osirisuns(1).jpg
Unsurprisingly, given that its LHP is the same as that of Osiris Blue, Chapman's Blue can often be found in the same places. Here's a lovely looking female:
01Chapmansfemaleups(1).jpg
01Chapmansfemaleuns(1).jpg
Provençal Short Tailed Blues prefer greener, more lush areas, and they are fairly ubiquitous in these places:
01ProvSTBlue(1).jpg
Towards the end of the trip, I was panicking as the normally reliable Mazarine Blue had yet to show up. However, on the final two days, it eventually appeared:
01Mazarineups(1).jpg
01Mazarineuns(1).jpg
Last edited by David M on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:26 am, edited 7 times in total.
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi David,

You have seen some nice species in 9 days and with the spring starting later than usual this year this is quite incredible ! 70 species in all in a relatively small area I believe.... isn't that a bit more than the total number of butterflies species in the UK? I bet you can't wait to be in the Alpes Maritimes...
Sylvie
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi David. I hate doing this, but it's my job ... :D Why do you say that is osiris? To me, it looks clear-cut alcetas, both from the upperside detail and the underside.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote:Hi David. I hate doing this, but it's my job ...
I'm grateful you did, Guy, because I made a town halls of my image labelling! :(

I have replaced the erroneous PSTB with Osiris. Thanks for highlighting the faux pas.

Return to “Trip Reports”