David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Re: David M

Post by Andrew555 »

I was thinking to the same thing that weekend David, how lovely the countryside was.
Great shots of the Grizzled's and GVW's. Love the green and yellow of that Greenstreak shot. :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks all.

Thursday 10th May 2018 – Orange Tips

Managed to get out for an hour or so to Crymlyn Burrows on the Swansea coast, ostensibly to see whether Dingy Skippers & Small Blues had emerged.

Sadly, there was no sign of either, but there were numerous Orange Tips flying, and the cool, part-cloudy conditions becalmed them regularly giving a rare opportunity to approach them closely:
1OT1(1).jpg
1OT3(1).jpg
1OTfem(1).jpg
1OT2(1).jpg
This battle-scarred male Holly Blue also put in a brief appearance:
1HollyBluemale(1).jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Nothing wrong with Orange Tips, David. You can’t take too many pictures of Orange Tips!

That Grizzed Skipper ain’t too shabby, either!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely close encounter shots David. :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Agreed - you can't have too many Orange Tips, particularly as their season is far too short! :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I agree David and when you see them you can't resist taking shots can you! :lol: Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Orange Tips? Bit thin on the ground in my neck of the woods this season so lovely to see your vibrant images David :D

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the comments. Yes, Orange Tips are always irresistible, yet strangely I've only seen two this weekend!

Saturday 12th May 2018 – PBF pleasure…..

In most years, I only get to see Pearl Bordered Fritillaries once in the UK, so a lot depends on both the season and weather conditions.

Thankfully, this year saw both juxtapose nicely at Ewyas Harold Common in Herefordshire. Whilst the flight season is late for this species, there were nonetheless quite a few about (around two dozen in total) whilst weather conditions were near perfect for observing the butterflies, with relatively cool temperatures (14 or 15c) and hazy cloud cover.

I arrived early and it was slow going at first, so I took an overview shot of what I deem to be the best hotspot on this site for this precious insect:
01EHChabitat(2).jpg
I only spent an hour or so in this area as there were two guys with very professional looking equipment and I didn't wish to unduly disturb them. I did manage this image of a PBF which was attempting to warm up during a cloudy spell:
01PBFups1(2).jpg
I wandered over to the other choice area on this site and was rewarded with at least another dozen individuals to add to the 10 or so I'd seen earlier:
01PBFbluebell(2).jpg
I stumbled upon a couple of females, which is always a good thing, as they are far more docile and prone to afford the much sought after closed wing poses:
01PBFuns2(2).jpg
On a few occasions, whilst observing these females, they were accosted by males looking to mate:
01Gatecrasher(1).jpg
I'm pleased to say that sympathetic management has been much in evidence at this site over the last couple of years, and this time round the main area for PBFs has been cut back significantly, which will undoubtedly encourage the butterfly to increase its presence on the site.

Given that the only other species I saw in over two hours were singleton Large and Small Whites, it would be an understatement to declare that continued management is imperative, as if PBFs were to be lost from here, then in spite of the excellent general habitat, there would be precious little to mark this place out as anything other than a dog walker's exercise yard!

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David: The closest PBFs to me that I know about are over an hours drive away at Bentley Wood near Salisbury so I don't get to see them every year. Your batch are great. Love that underwing shot and the m+f encounter.

Ernie F
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

It is lovely to see your PBFs. Like Ernie I am a very long way from any sites. I also find the first time I go to any new site I need a revisit to get anything.

So I have instructions to get to Wyre Forest but have never been and it is a two hour trip. But, hopefully next week..... :D

I agree the Undersides make the nicer image.

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks both. This species is definitely worth travelling to see.

Friday 18th May 2018 – Fourth time lucky….

Wall Browns aren’t particularly common in the Swansea area, but one place they seem well established is on the upper slopes of Kilvey Hill, just east of the city centre.

This late season has given my legs lots of exercise, as this morning was the fourth time I’ve hiked up to the summit, and this time I was rewarded with two males cavorting around their favourite spot – the ruins of the old windmill at the top.
1WB2(1).jpg
I stopped to take a few scenery images on the way down. This is looking west towards the Gower:
1SwanseafromKilvey(1).jpg
This area is the track just before the steep path back down to the tree line, but I got a shock today.
I’ve been to this site at least 30 times since moving to Swansea in 2010, but this is the very first time I’ve ever seen a Green Hairstreak here:
1GHlocation(1).jpg
In fact, I saw two, both in this small area. I’ve heard reports that they used to be present at this location, and there’s plenty of bilberry growing so the habitat seems right for them. However, until today I had assumed the colonies had died out. I was clearly wrong.
1GH(1).jpg
Towards the base of the hill, there was, as ever, much activity, with several Large Whites seen including this resting male:
1LgeWH(1).jpg
This fresh Speckled Wood was irresistible:
1SpkWd(1).jpg
Other species seen were Holly Blue, Green Veined White and Orange Tip.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote:...I’ve been to this site at least 30 times since moving to Swansea in 2010, but this is the very first time I’ve ever seen a Green Hairstreak here:..
Just goes to show how under recorded this species probably is.

Great Orange-tips in your previous post too :D

...and Pearl-bordered Fritillaries, not sure if I will get to see these this year...everything is now happening at once and with limited time available you can't be everywhere. Oh well, better to have too many options than none.

Cheers,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Neil.

Friday May 18th 2018 – From Kilvey Hill to the coast…

After heading down from Kilvey Hill, I stopped at Crymlyn Burrows where despite Orange Tip numbers falling off considerably since last week, general numbers of butterflies were pretty good, especially Whites.

I also saw my first Common Blues of the year, about a dozen in total, including this immaculate specimen:
1CmBlups1b(1).jpg
1CmBlunsB(3).jpg
I fancied Small Blues would be out in force, but in the event I only saw about ten:
1SmBlueups(1).jpg
1SmBlueuns(2).jpg
In fact, I saw around as many Small Coppers, which was most pleasing:
1SmCopp(1).jpg
Brimstones still about (1 male, 2 females seen) but I couldn’t find any Dingy Skippers at all, and I only saw this solitary Small Heath:
1SmHeath(1).jpg
No Brown Argus either, although they always seem a few days behind Common Blues round these parts. Still, 13 species in a day isn’t something to complain about!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots David, that Common Blue is indeed lovely. :D

Glad it worked out for you with the PBF's. :D

Cheers

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Nice Common Blue shots David ,and also your Grizzles from a few days back (cracking little beasties aren,t they !)
Regards Allan.W,

David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 2nd June 2018 - Fritillary fest....

Whilst away in France this last fortnight, I've kept up with what's been going on back here in the UK and was anxious to see what effect the balmy conditions during late May have had on butterfly populations.

Today I got my answer. I spent just over an hour on the prime spot on Fairwood Common and counted 32 Marsh Fritillaries:
03Marshmale(1).jpg
03MarshFritfem(1).jpg
Marshfemuns(1).jpg
Even more satisfying were the incredible numbers of Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. I usually see a few, but this time they easily eclipsed the Marshies with around 50 seen, the majority being within this damp area:
03FairwoodCommon(1).jpg
There were several in the air in all directions, mostly males searching for females. However, they regularly stopped to take nectar from the ragged robin blooms:
03SPBFups(1).jpg
03SPBFuns(1).jpg
With time to spare, I took a walk along one of the drier paths on the Common, and eventually recorded my first UK Dingy Skipper of the year:
03Dingy(1).jpg
Around 30 Common Blues were also seen, some fresh, others faded. Green Hairstreaks were about too in small numbers whilst Speckled Wood, Large and Green Veined White singletons were recorded as well.
Last edited by David M on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely images of the Marsh Fritillaries David :D Hope you have some interesting shots from France to show us?

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

That looks and sounds amazing David, fantastic stuff. :mrgreen: :D

kevling

Post by kevling »

David,

Lovely shots of the Marshies and SPBF. Glad there were plenty to go round. Looking back through your diary, I also like the Orange Tips. This is the first year I have failed to see one settle, wings open. A big disappointment as it is my favourite Butterfly. Your photos have made up for it.

Kind Regards
Kev

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, all.

Kev - shame you haven't had a proper audience with Orange Tips this year. You should consider searching for them on a cool, largely cloudy day. That is when the best opportunities present themselves.

Return to “Personal Diaries”