Kev Ling

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: Kev Ling

Post by ernie f »

Kev. Finding and getting pics of Wall Browns would be a good enough ambition for me - not one that is likely to be fulfilled in my neck of the woods.
But you have them flying over cliffs! I think the one you have taken with the sea in the background is fantastic.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

You're right, Kev, finding the unexpected is one of the joys of this hobby - and that was a cracker of a SPBF to boot! Great coastal Walls as well. :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

kevling wrote:The target species for me was the Wall and as we took the cliff top path we counted a total of four. They were very active and settle very seldom, which posed difficulties with photographs. However they were fun to observe and I did manage one or two aerial shots as well as a couple on the rocks.
Absolutely, Kev. Wall Browns are marvellous to watch. Theirflight pattern is the very definition of carefree happiness, and it's such a shame that they are largely confined to coastal districts these days.

I could watch them for hours on end and never get bored.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks for the nice comments gents.

Wurzel: I hadn't considered a possible aberrant. You have got a keener eye for detail than me for sure :lol:

Ernie: They are a species that you sometimes have to travel for, but I hope you succeed soon. I was pleasantly surprised by the photo with the sea background. Right place at the right time :D

Dave: That SPBF was a gem, it must only have been a day old, it looked pristine :D

David: I agree with you how fun they are to watch. I did have an unexpected inland sighting last year, a colony on top of Mam Tor in Derbyshire :D

Slightly out of date sequence, but just prior to my holiday in Snowdonia, I continued to get my fill of Green Hairstreaks that were still putting in a strong show in Suffolk. Here is the best of the rest.
Kiln Meadow - 7.5 (13).JPG
Martlesham Common - 23.5 (18).jpg
Martlesham Common - 23.5 (24).jpg
Martlesham Common - 23.5 (8).jpg
Kind Regards Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see such a colour range on those Greenstreaks Kev :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Green Hairstreaks DO seem to be having a good year. There are still plenty of them on my patch in south Wales.

kevling

Post by kevling »

I have had a busy winter helping Suffolk Butterfly Conservation with our Brimstone & Buckthorns project. Celebrating it's 20th anniversary this year, we delivered and planted a further 600 Alder & Common Buckthorn whips to interested parties throughout the county. Making a total of 5000 in total over the 20 years.
I kept a couple of Alder back for myself and planted them in my garden, not expecting anything in the first year. How wrong could I be. When I returned from holiday recently, one whip was being massacred by 18 Brimstone larva. The majority were re-housed to mature bushes in order to preserve their survival, however we kept a couple and yesterday were rewarded with finding one that had freshly pupated. Here it is in different forms of development.
Garden 2.6 (4).jpg
Garden.jpg
Garden 9.6 (2).jpg
Kind Regards
Kev Ling

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That caterpillar has some really powerful looking legs/prolegs - it looks like the Stuart Pearce of caterpillars :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely shots, Kev. I don't suppose you may be on hand when the adult emerges? :)

kevling

Post by kevling »

17th June 2018 Purdis Heath - Ipswich

The habitat at this fine heathland site has been managed by volunteers of the Suffolk Branch of Butterfly Conservation for several years. At the start there was just a single sighting, but on my visit today numbers were in their mid twenties with the peak emergence still to come. It included this nice looking female.
Purdis 16.6.18 B.jpg
Purdis 16.6.18 C.jpg
Purdis 16.6.18 D.jpg
Purdis 16.6.18 E.jpg
Purdis Heath 16.6.18 F.jpg
Kind Regards
Kev

kevling

Post by kevling »

22nd June 2018 - Wherstead & Old Hall Wood - Ipswich

Having seen early sightings in people's personal diaries, i visited my local woods today on the hunt for newly emerged White Admirals. I did not see any at Wherstead Wood last year and feared for this small colony, so I was glad to get an immediate sighting on this sunny morning. I'm sure numbers will increase in the coming days.
Wherstead Wood 22.6 (25).JPG
Wherstead Wood 22.6 (13).JPG
Kind Regards
Kev

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Nice to hear the White Ads are coming along in your neck of the woods, Kev. Hoping we get a bumper crop this year.

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

I'd heard quite a bit about the Purdis Heath site, Kev, and all the good work that's gone into its management.

Nice to see this paying dividends.

millerd

Post by millerd »

A nice couple of White Admiral shots in their favourite poses on the brambles, Kev. :) We don't see many reports from that part of the country so it's good to see what's there.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely White Admirals Kev, you've got them just right as the even darker markings are showing up on the dark ground colour :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Ernie, David, Dave, Wurzel: Thanks for your kind replies :) s

23rd June 2018
Next target species for me this summer was the Marbled White, a species that I had very few photographs of in my collection. An early morning walk paid dividends and they were not as active in the heat as they normally are, allowing me some protracted and rewarding observations.
Landseer Park 23 Jun 18 (3).jpg
Landseer Park 23 Jun 18 (7).jpg
Landseer Park 23 Jun 18 (9).jpg
Landseer Park 23 Jun 18 (13).jpg
Landseer Park 23 Jun 18 (16).jpg
Landseer Park 23 Jun 18 (19).jpg
Landseer Park 23 Jun 18 (15).jpg
Kind Regards
Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful golden glow on those Marbled Whites Kev :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those images are so evocative of high summer, great shots.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great selection Kev, I really like your clifftop Walls. :D

Steve L

Post by Steve L »

Hi Kev

Great set of Marbled Whites, and the Large Skipper photo bomber. This is a species that's on the increase in my area, there's something about a black and white creature.

Cheers

Steve

Return to “Personal Diaries”