Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Katrina

Post by David M »

Lovely images of a beautiful species, Katrina.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks David, Wurzel and Dave , I was pleased to finally get one still enough for an underside shot!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Glorious Mill Hill

Post by Katrina »

This afternoon I went to Castle Hill for an hour - very lively and better for practising ID in flight rather than photography. I think I saw 12 Walls (unless they were sneakily circling round me). Also seen were one Small Blue , about 5 Adonis Blue, multiple Common Blues, 8 Small Coppers, about 30 Dingy Skippers, one Grizzled Skipper, 3 Peacocks, one Red Admiral, one Brown Argus and some Small Heaths. I didn't have time to look round the whole site
I then went on to Mill Hill having seen reports of a lot of Adonis Blue and was not disappointed. It was a pleasure to bump into Nigel and Trevor who were already there. Thanks to Trevor who was particularly good and finding butterflies basking in photogenic spots. We also saw Dingy Skippers, Common Blues, Grizzled Skippers and Small Heaths.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2332.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2305.jpeg
DSC01078.JPG
fullsizeoutput_2311.jpeg
DSC01093.JPG
fullsizeoutput_2331.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots especially the more subtley marked female Blue :D

'unless they were sneakily circling round me' that presents a cracking image to me of a gang Walls hiding behind a hedge giggling as one says to the other"'Go on Bob go round again, one more time" :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

You have a real knack with those beautifully posed butterflies, Katrina. Grizzlies in particular seem to sit up splendidly for you. :)

Wurzel's description of Wall Brown behaviour is exactly what they were doing at Mill Hill last week... Round and round and round! :lol:

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Beautiful selection Katrina, same for the PBF's. :D

Agree completly with Dave's comment, great composition. :D

Cheers

David M

Post by David M »

Wonderful set of images, Katrina. You are very much perfecting your art. :)

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

There's not much more I can add Katrina - those Grizzled Skipper images are lovely. You definitely have a knack with them :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm a bit late viewing your lovely images from Saturday evening. What a great time !.
Some of your Butterflies look familiar.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks everyone.
Thanks Trevor, it was a great evening. Your photos looked familiar too so much so that on an initial glance on the Sussex website I thought yours were mine! Good teamwork that evening finding them posing!

Katrina

Park Corner Heath

Post by Katrina »

I went to Park Corner Heath from about 4.30 until 8 today. It was very warm and there were some very active SPBFs. Just when I was leaving I spotted 4 settling down together (although one flew off). They weren't fully roosting all all shut by 8 tonight.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2346.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_234d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2340.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2345.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_233b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2352.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2349.jpeg

millerd

Post by millerd »

Those are lovely atmospheric evening images of the SPBF, Katrina. Being able to see butterflies so late in the evening is such a bonus. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Very jealous of those cracking images Katrina :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: the one I saw today stopped for about 2 seconds at a time :shock: :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done, Katrina !. Obtaining an image with three Small Pearls in it. :mrgreen: .
From your observations it would seem that more have emerged since my visit.

Excellent stuff,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Katrina, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: of lovely Butterflies :D Goldie :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Dave, the longer evenings are definitely good.
Thanks Wurzel, they were rushing around when I arrived ,then earlier in the evening, even more frustratingly, they would stop and shut their wings somewhere that would make a fantastic photo, I would wait for 5 mins and then take a step towards them and they would start fidgeting as if they were going to fly ... so couldn't get close enough for a photo! :? Think I need some camouflage clothes! Or does anyone have any other tips? It seemed like they were just pretending to roost as they seemed to have a plan to roost together anyway!
Thanks Trevor, it was yours and John's lovely photos that got me to go out there. I think I actually prefer your photos on ferns to mine but you take what you can when it comes to butterflies! Probably more in Rowland Wood but I don't know it very well and have got lost in there before now so didn't want to risk it late in the evening.
Thanks Goldie, certainly good to see them back again and thank you to all the people who have volunteered on the reserve to make it possible

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Following reports of large numbers of Adonis Blue at Anchor Bottom I went there for a brief 30 mins trip this morning. They were already busy flying. There was also about 50 crows - i hope they don't eat Adonis Blues!
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_235f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2366.jpeg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

This evening I went back to Park Corner Heath to see if the SPBFs would roost in the same small patch of grass. The answer was only one of them did . It was a pleasure to meet Tim and Joanne from Kent (hope I remembered your names right) and James and Trevor. A wonderful evening was had by all and we found our last butterfly as the sun was setting.
The shed seemed popular with the butterflies with a Red Admiral and then a SPBF landing on it seeming to endorse the sign!
Attachments
DSC01398.jpg
fullsizeoutput_236c.jpeg
DSC01479.JPG
DSC01481.JPG
fullsizeoutput_2377.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_237e.jpeg
DSC01620.JPG

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

That's a gorgeous backlit SPBF from yesterday, Katrina. The Red Admirals don't seem to have reached the North West yet - I haven't seen one at all.
Janet

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Fantastic SPBF's Katrina. :mrgreen: :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”