millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: millerd

Post by trevor »

What a difference a few days can make.
I was at ' the hill ' on the 15th, for several hours, no sign of a Marshie.
Going back ASAP.
Really looking forward to your results.

Brilliant stuff, Dave.
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Oooòoooh Marshies :D can't wait for the next post!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave , Wow! I'm catching up on the Butterflies you've posted , lovely shots, keep them coming, :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad the Hill paid up Dave :D Sorry we got there a bit late, we're still playing catch-up having only just gotten our first Pearls :oops: It was great catching up and meeting Lee out in the field - looking forward to the next posting :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks all, sorry about the wait for the next installment of The Day on the Hill... :)

After seeing the first Marsh Fritillary soon after ten, more and more appeared, along with others of the many species the site has to offer. There were lots of Small Heaths, constantly tangling with the Marshies which they resembled somewhat in size and colour - at least from a distance.
SH1 190518.JPG
I spotted a handful of Small Blues here and there, quite different to Pitstone where they were everywhere.
SB1 190518.JPG
I also found a female Adonis, slightly deformed and of a fairly subdued mostly brown colour.
AB1 190518.JPG

At around this point, I bumped into Lee Hurrell - someone I see every year at least once somewhere or other in Southern England. As we caught up and generally chewed the fat, I spied two more figures approaching in the distance. Applying maximum zoom and then enlarging the image it was possible to recognise Wurzel and Phizoid wielding cameras as they made their way along the path.
R + P 1 190518.JPG
Then followed a great deal more chat, as the Fritillaries danced around us. We did collectively find a male Adonis, which kept coming back to our general area, but rarely stopped for long.
AB2 190518.JPG
We also noted the largest Orange Tip any of us had ever seen, and several Walls glided past, a deeper orange than the Marshies in flight, and somewhat larger too.

Eventually, it was time to leave this wonderful place (I was running out of water for one thing), and I walked slowly back to the car. Naturally enough I was distracted several times, not least of all by a couple of Grizzlies...
GS4 190518.JPG
...and then a very fresh Wall that sat in the shade on the path in front of me.
Wall3 190518.JPG
It had been a glorious and memorable day, with many lovely butterflies and excellent company as well. It was great to see you all! :D

The Marsh Fritillaries deserve their own separate post... Coming right up! :)

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

The final installment of the serial... Marshies!
MF5 190518.JPG
MF6 190518.JPG
MF8 190518.JPG
MF9 190518.JPG
MF10 190518.JPG
MF15a 190518.JPG
MF16 190518.JPG
MF17 190518.JPG
MF19 190518.JPG
MF21 190518.JPG
MF22 190518.JPG
MF23 190518.JPG
What a wonderfully colourful and variable butterfly! :)
MF2 190518.JPG
Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

lovely Marshies, although I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, its been 3 years since I've had a Marshie fix! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Wow! Nuff said.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm like Bugboy, I've not seen Marshies for years, lovely shots Dave :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic array of Marshies Dave :D :mrgreen: Getting there early certainly was the way to go as by the time we arrived they were acting pretty manic :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely to see you again, Dave! It's uncanny how we always bump into each other. This site can now be added to (by my reckoning): Fairmile Common, Denbies, Chiddingfold Forest, Aston Rowant... are there any more?

Cracking set of photos too.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Beautiful stuff from the Hill Dave. :mrgreen: :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you all - a most enjoyable way to spend a summer's day. Strange that - this month now feels completely like summer, even though we aren't into June yet and the Orange Tips are still flying (just!). Let's hope autumn doesn't arrive on the 1st July... :)

How to follow a day like that? Well, you can't really, so Sunday 20th May was a bit of a mark-time sort of day. First off was a trip down to Denbies to see how the Adonis were doing, after only one seen there last week. After negotiating endless cyclists, and re-routing because of the long queue of folk who like to spend their sunny Sundays dumping stuff at the local tip, I finally arrived at the car park only to find that the whole of Steers Field had been taken over by a couple of dozen assorted large vehicles and their occupants. National Trust officials seemed to be taking a keen interest, but as of today (Tuesday), I believe the situation remains unchanged. :( I made my way to the main hillside and back later via the woodland along to the west.

Adonis Blues were now out in good numbers, but the sun was strong and it was breezy (as usual) so photo opportunities were hard to come by.
AB1 200518.JPG
AB2 200518.JPG
AB3 200518.JPG
There were also lots of Dingy Skippers and quite a few Brown Argus, plus Common Blues and even some elderly Green Hairstreaks.
DS1 200518.JPG
BA1 200518.JPG
CB1 200518.JPG
GH1 200518.JPG
For the second part of the day I decided to investigate Juniper Bottom, a small piece of downland which is part of the large Box Hill complex of woods and open hillsides.
view 200518.JPG
I found the slope (at left of the picture) home to perhaps half a dozen freshly-emerged Common Blues, a handful of Dingy Skippers and at least one Grizzled Skipper.
DS1 200518.JPG
GS1 200518.JPG
Brimstones wandered through at intervals, and sure enough, buzzing around the scrubby dogwood was a Holly Blue.
HB1 200518.JPG
The Common Blues were quite lovely - when brand new like this they nearly give the Adonis a run for their money.
CB2 200518.JPG
CB4 200518.JPG
CB5 200518.JPG
CB8 200518.JPG
CB9 200518.JPG
A different kind of day, but the Blues at the end made it worthwhile. :)

Dave

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

millerd wrote: I found the slope (at left of the picture)
Give it a month and that slope will be good for Dark Green Fritillary too :D

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterflies Dave, I think when Common Blues are fresh there colour is a gorgeous Blue, I haven't seen Adonis for ages, another species I'd really like to see again :mrgreen: Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

It will, Lee, and there'll probably be Silver-washed as well. I've seen both fly there confusingly at the same time. :?

Thank you Goldie, and I quite agree. Some of the Common Blues I've been seeing have been beautiful creatures. :)

Monday 21st May - more sunshine and a different destination: Aston Rowant. Breaking with habit, I had a look on the south side of the M40 to start with, but drew a complete blank here. Maybe I just go down the wrong path... Anyway, it took little time to get back to the more familiar north side of the reserve. Walking along the bottom path, I soon saw Green Hairstreaks (including one with a full set of white spots), Dingy Skippers and Brown Argus, but it wasn't until I reached the Beacon Hill area that Common Blues appeared - dozens of them - plus more of the other species too.
GH2 210518.JPG
GH1 210518.JPG
DS1 210518.JPG
The sunshine kept them very active and photos were at something of a premium. Never mind, it was quite a spectacle to see so many Common Blues and Brown Argus flying all around me.
BA3 210518.JPG
BA6 210518.JPG
BA7 210518.JPG
CB4 210518.JPG
CB5a 210518.JPG
CB6 210518.JPG
CB8 210518.JPG
On the way back, I also came across a belligerent Small Copper, chasing anything and everything including a small bird that flew low and unexpectedly out of the scrub.
SC2 210518.JPG
A scattering of Brimstones completed the picture. I saw no Adonis, but this site is always behind those further south, so in a day or two...

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Dave clearly showing the changing of the guard - out with the spring Skippers in with the Blues :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Very much so, Wurzel - there has been a bit of a blue explosion over the last week. At the rate they are going they'll all be over in a fortnight! :)

Towards the end of the afternoon on 21st, I had a look at the larger open grassy area near me between the motorway and the M25. This is Heathrow's land, and earmarked for some kind of "development" regardless of which expansion option the airport elects to go for. Ominously, there were a lot of heavy vehicles churning up the ground over the winter, and they made a right mess. I fully expect certain species to be affected, possibly badly. :( However, I saw several Small Heaths this evening, and in one small area with a variety of flowers amongst the grass, I found first a Brown Argus and then a Common Blue. They were preparing to roost, but both opened up a bit and posed nicely even though the sun was a bit hazy.
BA1 210518.JPG
BA2 210518.JPG
BA5 210518.JPG
CB1 210518.JPG
CB3 210518.JPG
CB5 210518.JPG
When I reached home, I could see impressive thunderclouds building to the south west.
cloud 210518.JPG
Nothing came my way, however.

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

You're doing a great job of ticking off the species as they emerge.
Great images from the hill. including the dodgy character in the hat !. :lol:
Also that storm cloud is well captured, fortunately I had two fine days in Wilts.

Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The colours on that open wing Common Blue Dave :shock: - gurt lush :D :mrgreen: I reckon that the Common Blue suffers a bit from the same syndrome as Small Torts and Peacocks - because it's common we don't give it enough credit in the 'wow' stakes :oops: Cracking looking butterfly :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

p.s. Trevor - that's no way to speak about Philzoid :shock: :wink:

Return to “Personal Diaries”