Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Trevor

Post by David M »

I did what you said, Trevor, and clicked twice, and what a joy! Is that a field of campion flowers before my eyes?

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

That is one attractive field! :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I never thought that I'd ever be commenting on a field Trevor but that is certainly a spectacular sight/site :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

I am pleased that some enjoyed the Red Campion shot, though the camera could hardly do justice to the scene.
Usually Campion grows in ones and twos along the road verge, not en-masse on a hillside.

This evening Doug and myself popped over to Abbots wood for a late session with the PBF.
it was a difficult evening for photography, the strong sunshine keeping the Pearls
active right up until roosting time. I watched at least three head for the trees after 6.30pm.
Attachments
P1150575.JPG
P1150579.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Fri May 18, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Its lovely to see you having a great season, I am checking out some of your sites as you mention them unfortunately they all seem to be about 3-4 hours away. But I will make it at some stage. Its no good you having all of the fun....

Send my regards to Doug. You should get him to post here too. :)

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Pearls Trevor - I still haven't seen one yet this season! Fingers crossed for this weekend. Also 25 Marshies at Battlesbury today which means the Hill should be producing as well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

My time and the weather had, until today, not coincided for a Wall Brown hunt.
With a lighter breeze today, the Walls responded to the warm sunshine, and weren't
blown around too much. My first Wall sighting was of a female, but she kept her wings
tight shut while grounded then promptly took off.
Whilst watching for flying Walls my attention was drawn to some wing flapping in the grass,
I was fortunate enough to witness a female rejecting the advances of a male, who soon took the hint.
Another find was a male with twin forewing eye spots.
Despite the tricky nature of the Walls I did manage to come home with some images.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1150628.JPG
Female rejecting the advances of the male.
Female rejecting the advances of the male.
P1150606.JPG
P1150616.JPG
P1150596.JPG
Double forewing eyespots.
Double forewing eyespots.
P1150614.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Sat May 19, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Good stuff, Trevor - they really are tricky little blighters at this time of year. :) Are these from High & Over? They look a lot more worn than the ones up at Mill Hill a few days ago.

Cheers,

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

One for the Moth experts.
Found resting on my terracotta planter this morning.
Attachments
P1150636.JPG

bailey1409

Post by bailey1409 »

Hi Trevor

The moth is a Common Swift. Common around these parts.

Cheers

Maurice

trevor

Post by trevor »

A taste of things to come...............
Attachments
P1150732.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a glorious Adonis, Trevor! :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a great Trailer Trevor :wink: :D Interesting to see the double eyed Wall, is that a 'bipupilla'?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I was intending to leave my sessions with the Adonis Blue until my next visit to Wiltshire.
But having seen images, which can only be described as stunning, from Mill Hill in
West Sussex, this location acted like a magnetic draw for me last evening.
On arrival, surprisingly, there was only one other person on site, our very own
Sussex BC chair. Nigel Symington. As we chatted another, distant, figure was seen
approaching, this turned out to be Katrina.
Katrina's company was to turn out to be mutually beneficial, as many more photo opps.
were created by two pairs of keen eyes.
Keen eyes were not required for spotting male Adonis Blues, particularly as they began to
settle down in the weakening evening sun. There was also a very good showing of female Adonis,
with possibly more seen than previous reports would suggest.

Mill Hill, PART 1. THE BLUES.
Attachments
Common Blues seemed to be in the minority.
Common Blues seemed to be in the minority.
One of several mating pairs.
One of several mating pairs.
P1150722.JPG
P1150765.JPG
P1150699.JPG
P1150724.JPG
P1150675.JPG

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I tried and failed to see some spring brood Adonis Blues in Hampshire the other day. I still haven't seen one yet this year. Glad to see you are having better luck than me. I'm not envious...

...OK, yes I am.

Ernie F
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cracking Blues Trevor. :mrgreen:

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Ernie & Andrew.

Mill Hill Saturday 19th May, PART TWO.

When Katrina and myself really got in the swing of things, the photo opportunities just kept coming.
Especially as the Butterflies really started to settle down for the night.
Some of the highlights were provided by Dingy and Grizzled Skippers. Katrina was partcularly good
at spotting resting Grizzled Skippers, with their wings tightly closed. I could have easily walked past them all !.

I also visited Mill Hill again this evening, but this time I was passing close by on my way home.
More of that tomorrow.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1150787.JPG
P1150798.JPG
P1150714.JPG
P1150783.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Sun May 20, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Excellent atmospheric shots from Mill Hill, Trevor. Early evening is clearly a cracking time of day to see these butterflies settling down. :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yesterday, Sunday, I revisited Mill Hill. This time I was on my way home from my
restoration job at Halnaker, near Chichester. Who could resist !.
On arrival it was good to meet Sussex BC web master Jonathan Crawford, and
Mark ( Essex Buzzard ).
The Butterflies seemed to take a little longer to settle down, compared to Saturday.
But once again good photo opportunities occurred one after the other.
Mark found the real surprise of the evening, a solitary Small Blue, apparently not a
species usually found at Mill Hill.

Trevor.
Attachments
The Mill Hill Small Blue.
The Mill Hill Small Blue.
P1150854.JPG
P1150885.JPG
P1150841.JPG
P1150887.JPG
P1150835.JPG
P1150824.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Catching up on my posts ,fantastic shots of the Butterflies Trevor, love the ones of the Wall, I only managed one at the week-end :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”