Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Re: Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Your right David, there really have. :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Monday 7th May

After a day at Denge Wood to see the Duke's (report at some point) I popped by White Hill on my way home.
I wanted to see if Grizzled's, Dingy's or Green Hairstreak had appeared yet. Happily I found them all. :D
1.jpg
2_cr.jpg
This Greenstreak seemed to be laying eggs, but after she flew away I checked and couldn't see any.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Cheers

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely,lovely, shots Andrew :mrgreen: Where is White Hill, any where near Canterbury :?: I've been to Denge Wood that's near to my Daughter's but I've not heard of White Hill, so glad you got all three species because you don't always get what you go after. Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Ooooh that final shot of the Haistreak is to die for!!!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

I'll go along with Bugboy on that one, very nice.

All the best,
Trevor.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Brilliant Hairstreak sequence Andrew :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As others have said a great sequence of Hairstreak shots, the last one is a real corker :D :mrgreen: It's great when you bag all of your targets for the day on a trip out :D

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Goldie. :D I knew they all should have been there, but as you say that doesn't always work out. :lol:
Not close to Canterbury, it's up my way at the Kent Shoreham.

Cheers Buggy and Trevor! :D

Thanks a lot Pauline, it's always nice when they stay in the same place for a bit. :D

Ta very much Wurzel! :D It is indeed, and this was just an afterthought really, after the main event of the day. :D

Cheers

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

bugboy wrote:Ooooh that final shot of the Haistreak is to die for!!!
It is indeed, a beautiful image there Andrew :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote:
bugboy wrote:Ooooh that final shot of the Haistreak is to die for!!!
It is indeed, a beautiful image there Andrew :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
It sure is! Green Hairstreak can be a tricky butterfly to photograph but you've nailed it there, Andrew! :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, a lovely Green Hairstreak, Andrew. It appears caught in contemplation having (apparently, but not actually) laid an egg in the previous shot. :)

Dave

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful photos :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Neil. :D

Thanks a lot David. :D

Thanks Dave. :D Yes I don't quite know what was going on there!

Thank you Katrina. :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've looked at those GH shots again Andrew (they certainly do fall into my category of 'wish I'd taken them') but having enlarged them it seems to me that there is a fresh GH egg on the underside of the leaf - the last shot. Can't be sure but definitely looks like one. What do others think?

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

22-04-18 Devils Dyke

Once more consulting the Sussex butterfly atlas, with Green Hairstreak the target, I headed to Devil's Dyke on the South Down's.
Working along the bottom of the valley it didn't take long to find my first, and more followed with a good half dozen or more seen by the end of my trip.
1.JPG
A variety of spots, or not, were on display.
2.jpg
3.jpg
Other sightings were Comma, Brimstone, Peacock, my first Red Admiral of the year and Speckled Wood.
4.jpg
5.jpg
A walk around the picturesque area finished off a successful and enjoyable day. :D

Cheers

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Pauline wrote:I've looked at those GH shots again Andrew (they certainly do fall into my category of 'wish I'd taken them') but having enlarged them it seems to me that there is a fresh GH egg on the underside of the leaf - the last shot. Can't be sure but definitely looks like one. What do others think?
I really don't know Pauline, my experience with butterfly eggs is pretty much zero! I'd be interested any opinion's out there.
Thanks for your comment. :D
1.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking set of shots of the Green one Andrew :D :mrgreen: I reckon you're onto a 'caecus' (no spotter) and a inferopunctata (line of spots on the hind wing) in the four in one shot, I'm sorry I have a thing about spots on butterflies :oops:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

The "four-in-one" composite is excellent, Andrew - as Wurzel says, a splendid example of the variety in the "hairstreak" marking. :)

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Wurzel. :D No need to be sorry! I like to know these things. :D

Thanks Dave, it was good to see the variety. :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

04-05-18 Work

Some of the usual suspects on this lunchtime walk, Speckled, Holly Blue and Bee Fly.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
But also my first damselfly of the year, a female Large Red.
4.jpg
Cheers

Return to “Personal Diaries”