A Zerynthia conundrum

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Chris Jackson

A Zerynthia conundrum

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi All,

Today in the south of France I found two cats of more or less the same size on the same plant Aristolochia pistolochia.
I know for certain that this is predominantly (if not only) a Spanish Festoon site. I have never seen a Southern Festoon flying here. Having said that, a few kilometers away there are (or have been) Southern Festoons.
Who do these cats, on the same plant, belong to ?
Photos taken today 17th May.

Z. rumina ?
rumina35 caterpillar Vallon du Gourgoulousier 17May18 (7).JPG
Z. polyxena ?
polyxena caterpillar Vallon du Gourgoulousier 17May18 (1).JPG
Context
context rumina26 caterpillar Vallon du Gourgoulousier 17May18.JPG
Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Fri May 18, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Zerynthia conundrum

Post by Padfield »

The orange scoli with black tips would seem to indicate polyxena for the second one. A quick internet search suggests there are dark forms like this. Equally, the lack of dark tips on the first most naturally indicates rumina. I don't know if there are exceptions to this rule of thumb. Again, a quick internet picture search suggests there are exceptions, but the internet is not always a reliable source ...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

That's a very interesting conundrum, Chris. I asked you quite recently if there were sites where these two species fly together. Perhaps this is one of them? (although further investigation is obviously needed).
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks Guy and David,

This is one of the places that burned down in August 2016 so it is amazing that Z. rumina is already back again. If the dark cat really is Z. polyxena this is doubly amazing because the nearest Z. polyxena colony is at least 7 km away and both species may now be flying together.

I shall have to keep an eye on this.
Thanks
Chris
Macky

Post by Macky »

Hi all,

I will be in the North of the Aragon region of Spain in a couple of weeks. Do you think it is possible I could see both Zerynthia species on my trip? Also, what kind of areas should I look for (I assume lower altitude in general)?

Best wishes,

Macky

Return to “Identification”