millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Goldie - a great day out. :)

Friday 11th May. No opportunity to go further than my local patch again. The sun was in and out, which suited catching a few more Orange Tips open in all their splendour.
OT4 110518.JPG
OT8 110518.JPG
OT2 110518.JPG
OT1 110518.JPG
The lengthier time they were spending on flowers allowed shots from less usual angles as well, demonstrating just how long their proboscis is.
OT3 110518.JPG
OT6 110518.JPG
There were more Small Whites around now than recently - another emergence it would appear, as they looked new. One male was seen resting on a leaf. After opening up in a burst of sun he started sucking from the surface, then hopped down and did the same, taking minerals from the ground.
SW4 110518.JPG
SW2 110518.JPG
SW1 110518.JPG
Also seen were the customary Holly Blues, GVW, Large Whites, Brimstones and Speckled Woods, plus a single Red Admiral.

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David, I love the shot of the OT from underneath showing both wings open. You've got the underside markings and the orange of the upperside of the tips at the same time. Fantastic.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those OTs are still looking good Dave :D :mrgreen: Really like the final OT shot, interesting to see it from a slightly different angle and the double underside it pretty 'mint' too :wink: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Ernie and Wurzel. It seemed a good idea to make the most of the Orange Tips while they are still with us... :)

Indeed, the next generation are on the way. On Saturday 12th May, sunshine was very limited, though it was a bright morning and not cold. I sought out one of the few patches of cuckoo flower on my patch and there was a very small Orange Tip larva somewhere in the transition to green from its initial orange. About half a cm long I'd say.
OT larva 120518.JPG
It's interesting that the caterpillar will now grow at roughly the same rate as the seedpods do, so facilitating feeding. In terms of flying butterflies, a brief burst of sunshine activated a handful: a Holly Blue, an somewhat battered Orange Tip, a couple of GVW and two new Small Whites (one of each sex).
OT1 120518.JPG
SW1 120518.JPG
SW2 120518.JPG
I also disturbed an attractive yellow moth.
moth 120518.JPG
That was it for the day - light rain set in at lunchtime and persisted until after dark.

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Great sequence of Orange Tip images, Dave, and nicely aligned with the odd photo of other Pierids too. Your Orange Tip from 12th May looks a little unusual - a more heavily pronounced forewing spot and maybe a bit darker than normal?

Susie

Post by Susie »

millerd wrote:
Tuesday 8th May. Another sunny and hot day, so an early start was called for again. South to Denbies this time, and the curse of the M25 meant it took far longer than it should have done. However, by complete serendipity this also meant I arrived at exactly the same moment as Susie, who was on her first major butterfly outing of the year. Good to see you as always, Susie!

Dave
It was great to see you too! Really kicked my butterfly season off to a flying start to see a friend. Sorry I had to go without saying goodbye, I had a very hot tired dog on my hands (who got two ticks from that wretched place).

millerd

Post by millerd »

I think you're right about that Orange Tip, David - a pity it wasn't in better condition. A few more Pierids from the following day coming up in a mo. :)

No problem, Susie - could see he was getting a bit hot even early on. The curse of black fur on a hot and sunny day. :( Hope to see you again at some point in the season. :)

Sunday 13th May: A much sunnier day, but I was still limited to my local patch. I think that Holly Blue numbers may actually be dropping, as I only saw ten or so today.
HB1 130518.JPG
HB2 130518.JPG
I was hoping that the next round of emergences might have started (Brown Argus, Small Heath and Common Blue) but not yet it seems. However, there were still the various Whites to look at, and prominent today were Large Whites, with a rather worn female thinking about laying, and a male up amongst the hawthorn flowers.
LW1 130518.JPG
LW2 130528.JPG
LW3 130518.JPG
They are a distinctly arboreal species in these parts, resting, basking, roosting and even nectaring up in the trees. There was also a puddling GVW, which curiously turned out to be a female - rather unusual.
GVW1 130518.JPG
I also saw Orange Tips, including a nice female.
OT3 130518.JPG
OT1 130518.JPG
OT2 130518.JPG
Dave

PS. That's the same male Orange Tip as yesterday... :wink: They don't go far. :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

Monday 14th May (Part One):

A lovely sunny day and not too hot either. Another outing was called for, so I headed down to Chiddingfold for the first visit of the year. I was there soon after nine, but it was nearly ten before the butterflies appeared. Suddenly, the little fluttery shapes of Wood Whites could be seen all along the edges of the rides, and over the next couple of hours I must have seen at least fifteen. More importantly I came across a couple of ladies who were also taking an interest in the butterflies, one of whom was in a ditch at the side of the path. This turned out to be Pauline, who I have managed to miss on countless occasions in the past. It was great to meet finally, and it was a most enjoyable couple of hours.

There were one or two female Wood Whites among the males, and I did find one example of their famous courtship ritual, affording those tantalising glimpses of the uppersides...
WW5 140518.JPG
WW6 140518.JPG
WW7 140518.JPG
WW8 140518.JPG
However, as usual, it came to naught when the male gave up and flew off. Some puddling behaviour was seen.
WW2 140518.JPG
WW4 140818.JPG
Most, however, were nectaring on a vatiety of flowers.
WW1 140518.JPG
WW9 140518.JPG
WW10 140518.JPG
WW12 140518.JPG
Other species seen included GVW, Large White, Orange Tip and lots of Brimstones. Pauline has already mentioned how we conjured a Holly Blue just by talking about it! Most odd...
HB1 140518.JPG
Today's moth was a rather attractive muslin moth...
moth 140518.JPG
...and today's caterpillar was found on a sallow... but it was this one, not what we might have hoped for.
mothcat 140518.JPG
It reached midday, and Pauline had to leave and I had plans to move on elsewhere too. Coming up in Part Two! :)

Dave
Last edited by millerd on Wed May 16, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Wood Whites Dave and I found lots of those caterpillars yesterday whilst searching for more Emperors, I think it's a Mottled Umber.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

David, fantastic Wood Whites. You got a great sequence of sharp pics of the courting behaviour. Mine were only video quality snapshots. But did you see the way the male extends his proboscis to touch the female? I could not believe how long it is when stretched out fully...
...or that he did this at all. How weird is that?

Ernie F
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Nice selection of Wood White Dave, and I also like the sequence of Orange Tips a couple of posts back. Make the most of these, for they will only last another week or two. :(

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Wood Whites Dave :mrgreen: can't even find the Dukes here :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great Wood White photos Dave :D

Your attractive Yellow moth from the other day is a Brimstone Moth.

Your Ermine Moth is a female Muslin Moth, a good find. Unlike the males which are often seen in moth traps, the females are active by day and rarely come to light. https://ukmoths.org.uk/species/diaphora-mendica

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Wood Whites with the Holly Blue as well which is de rigueur :wink: :D I was going to help out with the moth ID but Neil got there already :D Also sent you a PM about the Hill :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Buggy - caterpillar ID noted. Quite a colourful little beastie... :)

Thanks Ernie! The "burst" mode on the camera does the trick nicely for capturing this characteristic bit of behaviour. Fascinating to watch. :)

Orange Tips are definitely fading at the moment, Essex, sad to say. I think the last of them have emerged round here now. :( I shall make the most of any I see.

Thank you, Goldie - they are lovely delicate little butterfly. :)

Thank you for the moth IDs, Neil. Did you see the moth I posted (seen at Bookham) on 8th May? No one has ventured an opinion on that one, but I'm sure you'll know what it is! :wink: :)

Thanks, Wurzel, and thanks for the info. More travels will soon be in order... :)

14th May (Part Two):

After the delights of Chiddingfold and beautiful woodland, I headed over to Denbies along the bottom of the North Downs. In such glorious weather, with the fresh green of the countryside, such drives are a pleasure in themselves.

In the bright warm sunshine, everything here was very active, but there were plenty of Dingy Skippers, good numbers of Grizzled, and some fairly worn Green Hairstreaks.
DS1 140518.JPG
DS2 140518.JPG
GS1 140518.JPG
GS3 140518.JPG
GH1 140518.JPG
One or two Holly Blues were laying on dogwood, which is common here. The angle to the light, plus the butterfly's worn appearance, made this one appear very deep blue.
HB1 140518.JPG
Small Heaths are now appearing gradually, and also the first handful of Common Blues.
SH1 140518.JPG
CB1 140518.JPG
Whilst chatting to some fellow enthusiasts, there was a flash of something much brighter - an Adonis Blue rushed by and over the fence at the bottom of the slope. They do often follow the path on the other side of the fence down here, as it is sheltered from the wind that blows so often on this hillside. Unfortunately it was the only one seen (and it didn't pause for a photo) but there should be more very soon.

On my way back along the top path, I encountered a spiralling pair of Brimstones. The female was doing her best to shake off the very persistent male, and eventually succeeded, but not before I had managed a few shots of the tussling couple.
Brimstones1 140518.JPG
Brimstones2 140518.JPG
Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just love those Brimstone shots Dave. :D Not something I've ever managed to achieve :( :mrgreen:

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots of the Wood Whites Dave. And you've caught those Brimstones brilliantly. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Brimstones in flight Dave ad that Holly Blue is cracking - it's almost like a female Purple Hairstreak in reverse :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Pauline - now seems to be a good time to catch the Brimstones as the males are regularly accosting previously mated females who want nothing to do with them. They end up in tight spirals and often finish on the ground where both spread their wings, the female especially.

Thanks Andrew - Wood Whites do make an excellent subject. :)

That Holly Blue did look a bit strange, Wurzel. Blue butterflies do sometimes become darker in shade as they wear, but this was extreme. :)

I'm slipping a bit behind with this - you'll be catching me up soon, Wurzel! :wink: :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No fear Dave I'm still in April :wink: Plus I'm still experiencing the problem that I spoke about at the Social :?
On a brighter note - maybe see you at the Hill on Saturday? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”