Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: Andrew555

Post by essexbuzzard »

Wonderfully evocative spring scenes there Andrew. I especially like the image with cuckoo flowers by the hedge, which looks very like the one in the book. I was hoping to get there myself, as it is very different to the habitat I normally see Orangetips in but, with the weather as it is, I think the cuckoo flowers will be gone before I get my chance...

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Andrew, It's great to see them on Blue Bells and Cuckoo Flowers isn't it :D Unfortunately our Speckies and Holly Blues don't seem to have put in an appearance yet :roll: Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Bugboy. :D

Thanks Essex. :D I don't know m8, I was thinking of going back there myself.
If you want the exact location, if you don't already know it, give me a shout.

Thanks Goldie. :D Yes it really is! This is the first time I have seen many of these butterflies on these flowers.
Fingers crossed for you when the weather picks up this week. Any visits down here planned ? I'm starting to think about those Dukes. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A lovely set of Spring time shots Andrew :D Looking forward to the Grizzlie shots that will probably/undoutably come in your next post :wink: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Superb, uplifting spring images, Andrew. You've just about covered everything there.

That damp meadow looks positively delightful. No wonder there were Orange Tips flying around!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Wurzel. :D
Wurzel wrote:Looking forward to the Grizzlie shots that will probably/undoutably come in your next post :wink: :mrgreen:
You 'may' be right... you are right. :mrgreen:

Thanks David. :D
The meadow was really lovely, I spent some time there as you can imagine.

Cheers

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Saturday 21st April (cont)

So off we convoyed, heading south with John in the lead and me following.
It was very pleasant driving through the countryside, passing places familiar to Sussex regulars, Steyning, Beeding Cement Works and Wiston.

We stopped briefly at Wiston as John had spotted Neil Hulme in a meadow by the road. I thought about going over to shake his hand and thank him for his book, which was largely responsible for the great day I'd had around Five Oaks. But he was across the meadow in full 'seach and seek' mode, so another time. :D :lol:

We continued, and arrived at Mill Hill around 16:40, parked in the lower car park and made our way along and down to the bottom of the hill, eyes peeled. It took a bit of persistance to find our first Grizzled but there it was, flitting low to the ground, sitting still every now and again or nectaring on small purple flowers.
1.jpg
Then I got distracted by a couple of micro moths. :roll: Wavy-barred Sable and Common Purple and Gold.
2.jpg
We lost the first Grizzled, then found another. And this one seemed interested in roosting on one of the dead flower heads that dotted the area.
3.png
4.png
5.png
Shortly it was joined by another, and after a bit of shuffling around they settled side by side.
6.png
7.png
After enjoying this sight for while, and getting our fill of pics, we departed Mill Hill more than satisfied.
Thus ended a long but immensely enjoyable day, and I have to give a massive thanks to John for his kind invite. :mrgreen:

Cheers

David M

Post by David M »

I love that last shot, Andrew. Grizzlies can be tricky subjects to capture but you've done superbly.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Grizzlie action - as I suspected Andrew :wink: :mrgreen: The two side by side is a real cracking shot :D :mrgreen: Hopefully I might join the Grizzlie club this weekend, fingers crossed :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

That pair of Grizzlies on neighbouring seedheads is just terrific, Andrew. One to aspire to, I think! :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

What fantastic shots of the Grizzlies Andrew :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Especially the twins :lol: I've yet to even see them :( Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I agree with all the other comments Andrew and I think you've captured the underside well too ( - one for Wurzel's album perhaps). Not something I've ever achieved as I'm not brave enough to lie down on the grass - had 6 ticks on me already this season :twisted:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

As other have commented on, that photo of the pair if Grizzlies is a belter :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

John W

Post by John W »

Andrew555 wrote:Saturday 21st April (cont)
After enjoying this sight for while, and getting our fill of pics, we departed Mill Hill more than satisfied.
Thus ended a long but immensely enjoyable day, and I have to give a massive thanks to John for his kind invite. :mrgreen:

Cheers
Hi Andrew, just to say that it was a pleasure to meet you and I hope we run into each other again sometime :)

My version of the twin Grizzled Skipper shot won the "photo of the month" award on the Sussex Butterfly conservation web site!
grizzlies - 1.jpg
Cheers
John

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well done, it was a fantastic shot :D Goldie :D :mrgreen:

John W

Post by John W »

Just to say I got another "Twin Grizzlies" shot this evening !
08-May-2018 - 3.jpg

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot John and I hope to see you out there too. :D

Photo of the month ? That's fantastic! Well done. :mrgreen:

But wait a second.. then you go and get an even better one! :mrgreen: Photo of the month for May ? :lol:

Brilliant stuff.

Cheers

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks David, we caught them at the right time I think. :D

Cheers Wurzel, fingers crossed you did! :D

Thanks a lot Dave. :D

Thanks Goldie. :D I'm sorry :( I hope you get the opportunity to fix that! :D

Thanks Pauline. :D You are absolutely right! I was fully reclined getting those shots. :lol: :D
Blimey, 6 ticks ? I don't like the sound of that! :shock:

Hi Neil and thanks a lot. :D Right time right place!

Cheers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Another fantastic shot :mrgreen: :mrgreen: it's lovely!!! :D I must get a move on and find them :lol: Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Seems Neil Hulme isn’t alone when it comes to quality images of this species. Perhaps we need to set up a Grizzled Skipper competition? There have been some notably good photographs of this species thus far this year!

Return to “Personal Diaries”