Art Frames

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Art Frames

Post by David M »

Lovely Orange Tip images, Peter, and I’m particularly struck by the one in your first sequence with the abnormally dark markings – a wonderful specimen.

I look forward to seeing more of your images this year.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Thank you Goldie, David, Wurzel, Bugboy and Dave.

Not such a good day for butterflies in the chilly, wet, Midlands. So just to keep me busy I spent time with other insects and a rather lovely Bullfinch.

Some of these are stacked images (which just shows I had time to play). I have not posted the one green-veined white I saw. Fresh and lovely but I was sulking. :lol:

Alder Fly - Sialis lutaria on blossom

Bee Fly on blossom

Solitary bee - stacked image

Alder Fly - stacked image

Bullfinch

next time, all butterflies (I hope... :wink: )

Thanks for sticking with me.... :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wow, it's like looking at a super high definition screen looking at your images!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely Bullfinch study, Peter, they don't seem very common these days.
Looking forward to some Butterfly images, naturally posed of course !.

All the best,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow that Beefly shot is gurt lush Peter :D :mrgreen: We has one of those unhelpful,butterflies days today as well :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That's a magnificent Bullfinch shot, Peter. They're pretty common round Swansea way but I could never dream of capturing one on film quite like that.

They're very striking birds and I never tire of them.

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Finally, along with everyone else the sun has arrived (with heat and some opportunities for visits)

So in reverse order, yesterday, at Ivinghoe Beacon my annual visit to see the Duke and his friends.

Adela reaumurella

And then back to Saturday with a quick walk around Ditchford Lakes Nature Reserve looking for the first damsels of the year. A couple or tenerals spotted (pics coming shortly) along with twenty plus orange tips. Just a couple of those with a singing Reed Bunting.

And finally from last Friday the arrival of the Reed Warblers at College Lake setting up their territories.

So Spring is here in the East Midlands, but I am keeping an eye out for a sudden cold snap. :shock:

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A delectable set of shots as always Peter :D :mrgreen: I too am a bit nervous that we haven't seen the back of the cold weather but fingers crossed that Spring is finally here to stay :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I really do enjoy looking at your splendid images Peter. I was about to say that the first Green Hairstreak was amazing and then I saw the Grizzled Skipper.... and then the Orange Tip .... and then etc etc. I really don't care how you achieve those results but if they were published in a book I would buy it like a shot!

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Thank you Wurzel, Pauline. I enjoy taking them but as you both appreciate having somebody else look too makes it much nicer.

So today I went to a localish reserve that I have never found before. Nearly missed it today too. It is called Twywell Hills and Dales in Northants

I was hoping to see a local Green Hairstreak and did, along with some more skippers. But numbers were low. However, I was able to get close to the Green Hairstreak and produced an image I quite like. I hope one of the focus stacked shots may have worked when I get to that. :D

In the meantime....

More Green Hairstreaks and some more Skippers including a Dingy along with a Grizzled.

thanks for the kind words as always.

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fabulous shots Art, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: what more can one say!!!! Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful High Definition images, Peter. The birds are as stunning as the butterflies. I think you've beaten the Green Hairstreaks for this year! I particularly like the Orange Tips though. For some reason they stand out even more than the others. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more!

trevor

Post by trevor »

It is a pleasure, as always, to view your images.
You have captured the season we are in at the moment, perfectly.

Keep up the good work,
Trevor.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Fantastic shots Peter. :mrgreen: I like the Bee Fly a lot, something I've been trying to get. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking shots Peter especially the close up of the Grizzlie :D :mrgreen: - do you use a tripod to help get such sharp images?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

I don't know if my attempts to shoot action are of interest. I don't think I have yet perfected the art :lol: ...but I do find the capabilities of modern cameras quite remarkable.

These were shot on a day when I was expecting to get some nice orange tips so I did not get as close as I might. But the result shows what I would never be seeing normally so I was pleased. I usually try for less movement but there is power and grace in the wing shapes so I accept the movement. I'm interested in what you think, before I go overboard with taking too many.... :)

Not sure I will be able to get some things on film, I tried to capture a Silver-washed mating flight last year without success, but it is fun trying.

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Take as many as you like as far as I am concerned, Peter. These pictures are wonderful.

Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote:Take as many as you like as far as I am concerned, Peter. These pictures are wonderful.
Agreed. In many ways these are the kind of images I like most of all. No prizes for technical artistry, but they communicate the kind of thing the eye sees in the field, and the are priceless for precisely that reason.

More please!

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

My first Wood Whites of the year at Bucknell Wood. Alongside other whites including a star Large White who was seeking an equity card. Lovely poser, very approachable. :D

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Art, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”