Tony Moore

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Tony Moore

Re: Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Many thanks, Guy, for the suggestions and kind remarks. I'm sure you are right (as usual :D ). The Junonia was the only specimen I saw and did not see the open wings. The white rectangle at the underwing costa looks pretty distinctive for J. hedonia - my suggestion was a hopeful stab in the dark. With regards to the 'leaf', I'm not sure at all :oops:, although Kallima looks a better bet. Dolleschallia was suggested on the Borneo Butts website, but I'm waiting to hear back from my friend, who lured it, for a definite ID.

Tony.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Guy,

I have now heard back from Sabah and, of course, you were spot on! It was the Malayan Oakleaf (Kalima limborgi boxtoni). The larva below was (Doleschallia). I have edited the post with corrections. Many thanks for your expert input :D .

Tony.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Fantastic report, Tony. Those colours brightened up the month of January for me. Many thanks!

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Thanks, David - they brightened my winter, too :D :D .

I'm surprised that no one has commented on the 'Butterfly Moth', which seemed a most bizarre insect to me. I understand from my companion that they are rarely seen, especially in such smart condition.

T.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Tony Moore wrote:Thanks, David - they brightened my winter, too :D :D .

I'm surprised that no one has commented on the 'Butterfly Moth', which seemed a most bizarre insect to me. I understand from my companion that they are rarely seen, especially in such smart condition.

T.
Can't say I've ever heard of them, although I'd certainly be fooled if I saw one. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info online about them either, wikipedia lists 27 species in the genus though. I have however heard of the Moth Butterfly Liphyra brassolis, one of the largest Lycids and has a lifecycle very similar to the Large Blue.

Also, I'd be over the moon with that brookiana image :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You really do get around a bit!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Tony Moore wrote:I'm surprised that no one has commented on the 'Butterfly Moth', which seemed a most bizarre insect to me. I understand from my companion that they are rarely seen, especially in such smart condition.
Well Tony, we live and learn.

I had no idea that moths could mimic butterflies like this species does and, like you, I have no answer as to why this should be.

I always feel Mother Shiptons are honorary butterflies, but your individual takes this to a different level.

How many more like this are around without we enthusiasts knowing?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

David M wrote:I had no idea that moths could mimic butterflies like this species does and, like you, I have no answer as to why this should be.
There's a surprising amount of it about!

Compare this moth (Castnia cononia) ...

(from http://www.theinsectcollector.com/acata ... 12498.html)

... with this Ithomiid butterfly:

(from Adrian Hoskins's 'Learn About Butterflies' site, http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com/)

This pattern is found in many different families of butterfly and moth. The mechanism behind it is probably different in the case of the butterfly moth (and the moth butterfly!) but convergent evolution is very definitely a thing!!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
trevor

Post by trevor »

There is only one word to describe your recent sightings / images.
Spectacular !. The world of Butterflies never ceases to amaze.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Many thanks for your kind remarks, Trevor. I feel very privileged to have had the opportunity to see such species.

I have another 'oops' :oops: moment to confess in that the Tiger IDed as Blue Glassy (I. vulgaris, is actually Grey Glassy Tiger (Ideopsis juventa). I did see vulgaris away from the reserve and it was smaller and distinctly bluish. I have corrected the original post. This stuff is so difficult...

Tony.

David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote: There's a surprising amount of it about!

Compare this moth (Castnia cononia) ...

... with this Ithomiid butterfly:

(from Adrian Hoskins's 'Learn About Butterflies' site, http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com/)

This pattern is found in many different families of butterfly and moth. The mechanism behind it is probably different in the case of the butterfly moth (and the moth butterfly!) but convergent evolution is very definitely a thing!!

Guy
Very illuminating, Guy. many thanks for the info and the link.

Tony Moore

Re: Tony Moore. Sabah (cont.).

Post by Tony Moore »

Tony Moore wrote:The Grey Glassy Tiger was also in good numbers in the reserve:

21-DSC09919_edited-1.jpg

12-tiger.jpg

Most days I managed a walk along the forest edge, where I was delighted to find a Hoary Palmer (Unkana ambasa):

1-DSC09833_edited-1.jpg

Several Common Jezebels (Delias eucharis) were floating about, but the only one, which offered a photographic opportunity was too worn to post. I did find one Banded Demon (Notocrypta paralysos) deeper into the forest:

20-Banded Demon.jpg

I think this must be Chocolate Pansy (Junonia hedonia), but would appreciate confirmation (or otherwise:( ):

13-TBI.jpg

Through the 'Butterfies of Borneo' Facebook page, I met a local butterflyer, who offered to take us Mahua Waterfalls to look for stuff. He brought a couple of bottles of evil smelling fluid, which he had concocted as a bait. The only taker was an Malayan Oakleaf (Kalima limborgi boxtoni

Autumn Leaf.jpg

I also found the decorative larva of another 'leaf' butterfly Autumn Leaf (Doleschallia bisaltide:

1-butterfly cat.jpg

The walk up to the falls produced several interesting species:

The Quaker (Neopithecops zalmora):

16-DSC09851_edited-1.jpg

The Striped Ringlet (Ragadia makuta):

17-Ragadia sp..jpg

A splendid Beetle:

15-DSC09845_edited-1.jpg

Here's one that shouldn't be here at all - not UK and not even a butterfly:
18-DSC09874_edited-1.jpg

It certainly had me fooled until I looked closely at the photograph... What possible evolutionary advantage could accrue to a moth, posing as a butterfly?? The Butterfly Moth (Callidula sakuni) - I think.
The trip was really made by a sudden shout of 'brookiana!!' And there it was in all its glory flapping round and around a roofless old concrete building, which someone had evidently been using as a pissoir. This species had been on my 'hope to see' list since I saw a mounted specimen in Birmingham Natural History Museum aged about 9 years! It flew round me for several minutes, regularly landing to imbibe something suspect from the concrete walls of the shack, but sadly never sat still enough for a proper photograph. This was the best that I could do:

19-Raja Brookes.jpg

It then took off and posed beautifully about 15 metres up a tree!

Still a wonderful ending to a brilliant holiday.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

With the snow falling (again) outside catching up on your PD has really brightened me up Tony :D A stunning array of species but the one I can't shake out of my head is the Quaker for some reason I can't fathom :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Tony Moore

Re: First Tort

Post by Tony Moore »

Finally, a bit of warm sunshine and my first butterflies - only about a month behind everyone else, I guess... :mrgreen:
DSC0010_edited-1.jpg
DSC00010_edited-1.jpg
Tony M.

Tony Moore

Re: Charaxes citheraron

Post by Tony Moore »

Very chuffed today to hear that my record of C.cithaeron in Mauritius has been published in Metamorphosis, the journal of the African Lepsoc. Sorry, I'm not sufficiently computer savvy to post a link, but it can be found in Vol 39: 3-4 of the journal, freely available online if anyone wants to look.
Many thanks to Szabolcs Safian for his help and encouragement in this matter.

Tony M.

David M

Re: Charaxes citheraron

Post by David M »

Tony Moore wrote:Very chuffed today to hear that my record of C.cithaeron in Mauritius has been published in Metamorphosis, the journal of the African Lepsoc.
Well done with that, Tony! Almost as good is your sighting of Small Tortoiseshells back in the UK. Spring is definitely here.

Tony Moore

Re: Orange tiips

Post by Tony Moore »

Although we are well behind the times here in Staffordshire, species-wise, there has been a positive explosion eclosion of Orange tips at Aqualate Mere, a local SSSI. Dozens in the air at any one time and eggs on every head of Lady's Smock. The bluebells are also the finest that I have ever seen:
DSC00078_edited-002.jpg
DSC00079_edited-002.jpg
Also good numbers of Holly Blues about this year:

Mottey meadows_0001.jpg
Pearls next, I hope...

Tony M.

David M

Post by David M »

A wonderful array of blue there, Tony, both floral and butterfly-related.

Good to know your Orange Tips are doing well. So are our Welsh ones, but then I suppose they've had it good - they first emerged into that late April wall of sunshine and after keeping their antennae down for a few days had the joy of an even warmer dose of weather last weekend.

Certainly no chance of dessicated foodplant...in spite of the temperatures, the ground remains quite soggy for the time of year.

Tony Moore

Re: Trip to Turkey

Post by Tony Moore »

Just back from 12 days in the Antalya district of Turkey. Despite several trips into the local mountains, butterflies were very thin on the ground; sadly, most were common British species. :( . In Goynuk canyon, I did see a couple of Southern White Admirals, one of which seemed as interested in me as I was in it:
SWA 1.jpg
On the track, I found a three or four Skippers. They looked a little long in the wing for Small Skip and I wondered if they could have been Levantine Skippers (T. hyrax)?
LS 1.jpg
There were a few Pashas and Swallowtails about, but none offered a photo opportunity.

On a track near the hotel I did find a Large Tortoiseshell... Complete with tortoise! :mrgreen:
Tortoise.jpg
There were a few Carcharodus skips about. At first I thought they were C. orientalis , but am now inclined towards Mallow Skipper.
MS 5.jpg
Enter custom name hereTurkey June 2018_0008_edited-1.jpg
These were attracted to a small area of tiny flowers along with some very tatty little 'Blues'. I've no idea what they were.
Blue 1.jpg
I would be greateful fo expert comment on any of the above.

Finally, one for Bugboy:
Cricket 3.jpg
A really enormous 'cricket' type animal – body length 7/8 cm!

Despite the relative dearth of butteflies, it was a very beautiful area of the planet and there was plenty of good beer after our walks.

Tony M.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Tony.

I agree with you for both skippers. I'd say the blue is most probably common blue, but there are several other closely related Turkish species, also with a cell spot, and I couldn't say for certain on that view alone.

Pending Buggy's confirmation, I think your monster cricket - what a beast!! - is an Anatolian predatory bush cricket, Saga natoliae. If not, it's something closely related. Wonderful!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Many thanks, Guy for your expert input.
Delighted to have hyrax confirmed - it's a new one for me :D .
The little blue is a mystery. I did see several Common Blues (at other locations) and they were exactly like our British ones. This beastie was much smaller and the blue colour (only seen in flight) was darker and more violet. It also had a very different jizz. I returned to the site several times, hoping for a less worn specimen, but no luck. Guess it has to go down as TBI.

Tony M.

Return to “Personal Diaries”