Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments David ,Wurzel, Dave and Goldie, very much appreciated as always :D

Saturday 5th May Part 1 – Goings on in the garden.

Saturday dawned with wall to wall blue sky and glorious sunshine but I wasn't building my hopes up as this often happens here and then clouds build quickly though the morning, in fact the forecast had us down for a mostly cloudy day albeit warmer than of late.
After doing the usual early morning shopping we were back in the house by 09.30am and with the sun still shining from a clear blue sky I went to sit in the garden with a mug of coffee and just chill for a few minutes. I then just pottered about for a bit whilst I had a think on what to do later, much depending on whether the clouds would build up or not.
Butterflies were already quite active and I watched a couple of Speckled Wood spiralling around each other down the bottom of the garden. When these finished their tussle one of them went next door but the other settled in one of the usual spots and showed itself to be a quite fresh individual that had already had a close escape, once again proving the effectiveness of those hind wing eyespots.
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 05.05.2018
With it rapidly warming up he quickly closed his wings to regulate his temperature and for the rest of the morning whenever I saw a Specklie settled in the garden they had their wings tightly closed.
A few 'whites' were soon passing through including at least one each of Green-veined White and male Orange-tip. One of the wandering 'whites' settled briefly and turned out to be a female Orange-tip, the first female of this species I have seen in the garden so far this year.
Orange-tip female - Coverdale 05.05.2018
Orange-tip female - Coverdale 05.05.2018
By midday and with the rest of the day looking like it was going to remain warm and sunny we decided to have a drive down to Snitterfield Bushes...more to come on this in my next report.

Back home later in the afternoon, I was once again pottering about in the garden and watching the various butterflies passing through, most of which were still very active but occasionally one of them would stop for a brief moment.
Green-veined White female - Coverdale 05.05.2018
Green-veined White female - Coverdale 05.05.2018
I then spotted a female Brimstone fluttering about around the alder buckthorns and as I watched she dropped down onto a dandelion which gave me the chance to grab a few quick photos.
Brimstone female - Coverdale 05.05.2018
Brimstone female - Coverdale 05.05.2018
She then carried on fluttering around the buckthorns and occasionally settled to lay a single egg each time.
Brimstone female laying egg on Alder Buckthorn.
Brimstone female laying egg on Alder Buckthorn.
Egg just visible on underside of leaf.
Egg just visible on underside of leaf.
After doing this for a while she dropped down again, this time appearing just to have a rest...
Time for a rest before carrying on.
Time for a rest before carrying on.
...before carrying on fluttering up and down the garden and every now and then coming back to the buckthorns.
Time to lay another egg.
Time to lay another egg.
Female Brimstone and freshly laid egg - Coverdale 05.05.2018
Female Brimstone and freshly laid egg - Coverdale 05.05.2018
Whilst on one of these trips up and down the garden she was intercepted by a male who chased her about before they both went next door and I saw them settle high up in one of the neighbours trees. I managed to get a photo at full zoom and a very tight crop appears to show them in cop.
Brimstones in cop - a very tight crop of a shot a full zoom.
Brimstones in cop - a very tight crop of a shot a full zoom.
Assuming that the female had already mated and was not laying infertile eggs, I have read that some butterflies will mate more than once, but I am not sure how common this is and with which species. Anyway, I have never seen Brimstones in cop before and if this pair is typical then it appears that it may take place fairly high up in trees and shrubs.

Also, a couple of observations; firstly I have read somewhere, not sure where now, that Brimstones are a morning butterfly and not often seen flying past early afternoon. The Brimstone activity in the garden described above all took place after 4.00pm and carried on until well past 5.00pm. Maybe this is down to air temperature which was certainly on the warm side at the time.
Secondly, I have often read that Brimstone females prefer young shoots on small plants in full sun to lay their eggs. Yesterday, and this is something have seen before, the female seemed to prefer laying on shrubs in partial shade. I have half a dozen alder buckthorn shrubs from whips I planted some years ago and they all receive full sun at some point in the day, some in the morning and some in the afternoon with a transitional period when each is in partial shade.

Anyway, now to sort out the photos from Snitterfield for part 2.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Fantastic shots of the Brimstone laying eggs.

And the mating pair is great too. I do not have a shot of that yet.

I am pleased that you are overturning the so-called rules of butterfly behaviours. I keep coming across books that give the accepted wisdom of all sorts of species only to observe in the wild that the butterflies have not read the same books as me!

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Wow, first class shots Neil. Reminds me of that other egg-laying female that you also captured perfectly - competition winner wasn't it? Really interesting observations too. I believe others on this site have come across this before albeit infrequently so perhaps they can shed more light on it. What I can tell you is that I have taken shots of mating Brimstones a couple of times in the past and on those occasions they were certainly low down - about 2 feet from the ground and well camouflaged under a large leaf. I'm assuming you'll be keeping an eye on those eggs to check that they hatch?

millerd

Post by millerd »

Great Brimstone observations, Neil, especially the egg-laying. :) I have to say that this is the first year I have regularly seen them flying late in the day - I spotted a couple this evening at nearly seven o'clock. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they mated more than once: they emerge as early as March and you see both sexes continue flying into June. You see plenty of courtship activity throughout.

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Those are notable images, Neil. I believe Pierid females DO sometimes mate more than once but it's difficult to know why they do this when so many other butterflies don't.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill shots Neil of the Brimstone behaviour :D You certainly have this butterflying lark all taped out; getting shots while enjoying a relaxing beverage and pottering :D Looking forward to the Snitterfield report :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Those are notable images, Neil. I believe Pierid females DO sometimes mate more than once but it's difficult to know why they do this when so many other butterflies don't.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Ernie, I reckon a lot of the conventional 'wisdom' has just been copied and repeated from book to book in the past. At least some of the more modern and better tomes seem to be correcting some of these 'facts'.

Cheers Pauline, if I remember right that other photo was back in 2015, I can't believe how fast that time has gone. Interesting comments about the mating Brimstones, I have seen single individuals of both sexes taking refuge from hot sun under underneath low growing foliage so I suppose it makes sense that mating would take place in similar locations.

Hi Dave, yes, given the comparatively long life of the adults, it would make sense.

Thanks David, I have read that some other species mate more than once but despite searching through my literature cannot find the references.

Cheers Wurzel, I am all for 'lazy butterflying' in fact even when I am out in the field I do a lot of standing still and waiting to see what comes along.

Saturday 5th May Part 2 – Snitterfield Bushes.

As I mentioned in my last report, with Saturday afternoon continuing to be much sunnier and warmer than originally forecast here, we decided to have a drive down to Snitterfield Bushes. This is a mixed broadleaved woodland located a couple of miles north of Stratford-upon-Avon that has regenerated on the site of an old WWII airfield and which is managed by Warwickshire Wildlife Trust.
Jane likes it here as there are some good firm paths around the reserve which she can manage with her limited mobility and we often visit here at around this time of year to see the displays of Primroses and Bluebells.
Bluebells at Snitterfield Bushes 05.05.2018
Bluebells at Snitterfield Bushes 05.05.2018
It only takes 30 minutes or so from our house to get to Snitterfield and so it was not long before we had parked up and immediately on getting out of the car we saw a Green-veined White, Orange-tip and Brimstone.
Wandering around the paths for the next hour or so we saw plenty of 'whites' most of which seemed to be an even split between Green-veined and both male and female Orange-tip, but also at least three Large Whites, my first of these this year. With the temperature by now up into the twenties, most of the butterflies were well warmed up and flying practically non-stop which made getting any photos a challenge. Nevertheless, with an occasional small white cloud passing over and watching the butterflies and looking for favoured stopping spots, I managed a few shots.
None of the butterflies were stopping to bask as such and when they did briefly settle it was usually with wings part open or fully closed to regulate their temperature.
Green-veined White - Snitterfield Bushes 05.05.2018
Orange-tip - Snitterfield Bushes 05.05.2018
Orange-tip female - Snitterfield Bushes 05.05.2018
A couple of Speckled Woods were seen around the shadier sections...
Speckled Wood - Snitterfield Bushes 05.05.2018
Speckled Wood - Snitterfield Bushes 05.05.2018
...and also a couple of Commas and a single Peacock which were far too flighty to let me get anywhere close.

In truth, I didn't see any butterflies that I couldn't have seen at my local spots closer to home but this is a much nicer woodland than I have locally and Jane prefers it here where she can see more from better paths.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You've captured the colours beautifully on those shots Neil, they practically leap out of the screen :D :mrgreen: I like lazy butterflying too, one day I hope to have time to fully embrace it :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shot of the Blue Bells Neil, and the OT's it's always great to see them :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, I am working on a cunning plan which hopefully will enable me to embrace it more regularly in a few years time (translation - looking at taking early retirement in 3 years) :D

Thanks Goldie, I know it has been said before...you can't have too many photos of Orange-tips :D

Sunday 6th May

Sunday was another scorcher with not a cloud in the sky all day. I ummed and ahhed a bit over whether to go out anywhere but in the end decided to stay at home and just enjoy a lazy day in the garden, pottering about a bit interspersed with plenty of sitting there just chilling out and watching for what came along. I always remember an old feller that I worked with years ago who often said 'time spent doing nothing can be time well spent', a philosophy that I can fully appreciate :D

Various butterflies were soon seen including the usual couple of Speckled Wood and passing Holly Blues, Orange-tips and Green-veined Whites, all of which were already highly mobile from around 09.00. Apart from the Speckled Woods that kept returning to their favoured perches after chasing variuos intruders away, the only butterfly that stopped for more than a second or so was a female Orange-tip that visited my only surviving bowles mauve plant.
Orange-tip female - Coverdale 06.05.2018
Orange-tip female - Coverdale 06.05.2018
As well as this plant which is in a container, I had a couple more planted in a side bed, both of which were finished off by the frosts earlier this year. I must remember to take some cuttings this year.

Later in the morning a male Brimstone started to repeatedly flutter around the alder buckthorns, probably in search of a female, but as the morning got hotter he increasingly began settling on other plants.
Brimstone male - Coverdale 06.05.2018
I got the distinct impression that he didn't like the heat and was settling for a rest. This impression was reinforced when he took shelter in the shade beneath a nettle leaf and stayed there for nearly an hour before reappearing and continuing on his way.
The only other photos I managed all day were of the Speckled Woods who would often settle but with their wings tightly shut which at least gave me the chance for one or two nice underside shots,
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 06.05.2018
Later in the afternoon one of the Speckled Wood took to settling in a patch of light shade where I managed to catch him with his wings open briefly before he closed them,
I also watched this individual visit a patch of damp ground and take up moisture/salts, something that I have not often witnessed this species do, but then again we don't usually get such high temperatures at this time of year,
A quiet but very enjoyable day despite not going out anywhere :D

Bye for now,

Neil

David M

Post by David M »

I find Brimstones aren't keen on excessive heat, Neil, so no surprise that yours was seeking shade.

Great way to spend a lazy day, sat in your garden watching the butterfly world go by. This is the time of year when you don't feel too guilty for doing so, knowing that things will get livelier as the weeks pass by.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More interesting behaviour Neil. :D I've not seen shade seeking Brimstone before but have seen Specklies taking salts before. Both times it was during a really hot and dry spell of weather :) Only three years :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've still got 26 :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, you'll have to get busy with those Boules Mauve cuttings :D it's surprising how the Butterflies just love them :D
I went to HLB my local CP, I love watching the Speckies chasing all opposition a way, except when you get a Butterfly your interested in like a Holly Blue and they dive on it like they did with my HB :lol: Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

A fantastic selection of shots Neil. Great Brimstone observations, and I love the OT's of course! :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments David, Wurzel, Goldie and Andrew :D

Monday May 7th

Bank Holiday Monday...and what a scorcher!

After a gloriously sunny weekend, Monday morning dawned with more of the same and if anything it was looking to be even hotter. Clear skies had led to an appreciable drop in temperature overnight but after an initially nippy morning it was soon warming up and by 09.00am the usual garden butterflies were all active.
Our daughter Sarah popped in with our little granddaughter for a couple of hours so the morning was spent with us all out in the garden taking advantage of the sun.
Having had a lazy day at home on Sunday I had already decided that I would pop out somewhere later today...but where?
I didn't really want to bother with my local spots as I wouldn't yet see anything there that I wasn't seeing in the garden, but I didn't have the time for a worthwhile visit too far away. I had seen that Green Hairstreaks were flying at various sites around the midlands, including the Warwickshire BC reserve at Ryton Wood Meadows, and with this being the closest reliable site for these I decided to head there.

I arrived at Ryton just after 1.30pm and spent the first hour or so just wandering around the wood itself taking advantage of the shadier conditions and enjoying the displays of Bluebells which are quite expansive here.
Bluebells - Ryton Wood 07.05.2018
It has to be said that many of the paths and rides around the main wood are now becoming quite overgrown due to a lack of management following the wood's owner taking over control and this is beginning to have a negative impact on some of the butterfly species found within the wood. Luckily, Warwickshire BC still manage the meadows and also has a partnership with neighbouring Ryton Pools Country Park where a number of initiatives are underway to support butterflies in these areas alongside the edge of the wood.

Eventually I wandered around to the meadows and the first thing that caught my eye was a nice display of Cowslips,
Cowslips - Ryton Wood Meadows 07.05.2018
Cowslips - Ryton Wood Meadows 07.05.2018
Moving over to the hedgerow which is the Green Hairstreak hotspot here I immediately spotted a couple of males chasing each other around the top of a hawthorn, closely followed by another couple, and the more I looked the more I saw. These would settle occasionally but soon be off again when they spotted each other and numerous times I saw 2, 3 or 4 individuals mixing it up around the tops of the various shrubs along this stretch of hedgerow.
Green Hairstreak - Ryton Wood Meadows 07.05.2018
I have previously found that the best way to get a photo of a Green Hairstreak in these conditions is to wait patiently near a favoured shrub and sooner or later one will come a bit lower down and settle within reach. The variable angle screen on my Lumix FZ200 is also a great help in this with many photos taken with the camera held above my head. Using this method over the next couple of hours, I managed some photos I was happy with, along with many shots of blurry butterflies disappearing out of frame as they were very flighty in the heat and there always seemed to be something to chase away. This wasn't helped by hundreds of small day flying longhorn moths that were swarming around the same shrubs which would often become the targets of the Hairstreak's attentions.
It was difficult to be accurate with numbers when many of the Green Hairstreaks were chasing each other backwards and forwards between a number of shrubs but there must have been at least 20 plus along this stretch of hedgerow plus another half dozen or so seen at other spots along the edge of the wood. These were all males going by their territorial antics and I only saw a couple of females. These were fluttering about further away from the hedge line and lower down amongst the vegetation in search of the Birds-foot trefoil which this species breeds on here.
Other butterflies seen were Brimstones in good numbers and Orange-tips and Green-veined Whites although neither of the latter two species were as numerous as I usually see here. Peacocks are another butterfly which I would normally expect to see here but which were notable by their absence today. Maybe they were hiding away on what had become the hottest day of the year so far.

I also had a good look for Grizzled and Dingy Skippers but without success, probably a bit early here but I suspect that given the weather remained good - if not so hot - for a further few days that they may be out by now.

Bye for now,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Green Hairstreaks, Neil, from a spot I know very well. I sincerely hope the woods don't go downhill, as they have boasted some good species up until now.

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Love the Green Hairstreaks, Neil....and I love the spring flowers equally!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Greenstreaks Neil :D Great to see the variation shown by that species, looks like you've a couple of punctata in there :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Dave, unfortunately parts of the main wood are already going down hill a bit and becoming overgrown due to lack of management. Warks BC are trying to compensate along the edges of the wood in the meadows and the country park where they can still carry out some management.

Thanks David, the flowers are an attraction by themselves and plenty of people visit here just to see the bluebells.

Cheers Wurzel, this site always produces a good variation of spottiness in the Green Hairstreaks here. I think the punctata is probably the same individual photographed at different times from different angles.

Cheers,

Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”