Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Maximus

Post by David M »

Some of those Coppers are to die for, Mike, particularly the one on the white pebble, which is worthy of inclusion in a field guide in my opinion.

The last one is also highly interesting. Surely some form of aberration? Hopefully Hoggers will step in to pass judgement.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Those shots were worth waiting for Mike - Gorgeous!. As soon as I saw all the SC I knew exactly where you'd be :lol: - on somebody else's territory it seems :wink:

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Wow - beautiful Coppers, Mike. :) I hardly ever see any first brood individuals, but Dungeness as ever has them to spare.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic array of Copper Mike :D :mrgreen: Mind you here in Salisbury we've had quite a variety recently; Warwickshire, Gwent, Surrey etc :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks for your generous comments, David.

Thanks, Pauline, you sometimes have to stray a little :wink: It's one of those places that's hard to stay away from :lol:

Thanks, Dave, there's more than enough (SC) to go round at Dungy :shock:

Cheers, Wurzel, I'm sure that you've had you're fair share(coppers), but weren't those the large variety? :lol:

9 th May

Today we headed for Noar Hill as the forecast was for slightly cooler weather than of late, with sunshine and cloud, which would hopefully make for easier butterfly photography.
We were keen to see our first Dukes of 2018, having failed to find any during our recent stay in Kent.
When we arrived at Noar there were already six cars parked in the lane, so it appeared that we weren’t the only ones looking for a Duke fix!
We walked up the track and into the site, and when we reached the deep pit just beyond the information board we were beckoned in by a chap who pointed out two Dukes spiralling up into the air locked in combat. We watched as they separated and the victor glided down and landed close by, our first Duke of 2018.

P1010076Resize.JPG
P1010089Resize.JPG
P1270187Resize.JPG
P1010115Resize.JPG
P1010160Resize.JPG
P1010116Resize.JPG
P1010161Resize.JPG

We also found several Green Hairstreaks and Dingy Skippers, our first of the year.

P1010100Resize.JPG
This Pale individual really stood out.
This Pale individual really stood out.
P1270157Resize.JPG
P1270199Resize.JPG

In addition we found these two moths.

Brimstone moth
Brimstone moth
Burnet companion
Burnet companion

It was also our pleasure to bump int Pete Eeles while we were there, it was nice meeting you Pete and also having a good chinwag.

In total we saw twenty plus Dukes/Duchesses, but we didn't cover the whole site by any means.

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Love that picture of the Dingy Skip ; on the Speedwell ,Maximus ..........terrific shot ! unusual .
Regards Allan.W.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I totally agree - very unusual angle and that pale GH is another great find :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Pauline wrote:I totally agree - very unusual angle and that pale GH is another great find :D
Ditto.

Great stuff :D

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Another great set of shots, Mike - you rarely get to see a Dingy from underneath! :)

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Great Duke shots, Mike (not to mention the Green Hairstreaks and Dingies). Looks like the latter part of spring is going to be quite conducive to our native butterflies!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Ditto ditto :D :mrgreen:
And yes they were the large variety - I got a 'North Wales' the other day, something of a rarity :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Allan, Pauline, Neil, Dave and David.

I've not seen a 'North Wales' yet, Wurzel :lol:

15th May

We made last minute decision to head for Denbies Hillside in the hope of finding a newly emerged Adonis Blue and to see anything else that might be on the wing. When we arrived at the car park above Denbies although it was warm, the breeze was quite strong. However, as we walked down the path to the main part of the site the breeze was less evident in the shelter of the hill.
We saw nothing until we arrived at the steps area, where we found two Green Hairstreaks locked in combat and spiralling high into the air before dropping back and settling on adjacent bushes. Nearby I found several Small Heaths, our first of the year, fighting with some Dingy Skippers over who was going to claim the best perch.
There were lots of Dingies, a couple of Grizzlies, Small Heaths, Orange-tips, Holly Blues, Brimstones, the ‘Whites’ and a flyby from a single Common Blue, our first of the year, but we didn’t see any Adonis!

P1010162Resize.JPG
P1010173Resize.JPG
P1270216Resize.JPG
Ovipositing female
Ovipositing female
P1010176Resize.JPG
First Small Heath of the year
First Small Heath of the year

As we were leaving we bumped into another UKB member who I recognised from one of Pauline’s Chiddingfold photos, it was nice to meet you Dave, (millerd). While we were chatting, Dave mentioned his recent Chiddingfold visit, so back at the car we decided we’d make a detour via Botany Bay, before finally heading home.
Arriving at the Botany Bay parking area we set off down the ride heading for the usual place. It didn’t take us very long to spot our first Wood White, which was slowly flying along the woodland edge. By now it was gone 6pm and we hoped that they would be slowing down, however, no such luck, they were not really settling much at all, and when they did it was not for very long. However with a bit of patience, perseverance (and much cursing), we managed a few shots.

P1010194Resize.JPG
P1010217Resize.JPG
P1010201Resize.JPG
P1010187Resize.JPG
P1010210Resize.JPG
Bit of grass in the way!
Bit of grass in the way!

The upside of all this waiting around was that we were at one point surrounded by perhaps half a dozen singing male Nightingales with a Cuckoo calling in the background, it was the perfect soundtrack to a lovely late spring evening in a beautiful woodland setting.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

17th May

Today we headed to the Heyshott escarpment after a two year break. We arrived at the parking spot and found no other cars there, so it looked like we had the place to ourselves.
Walking up the lane to the site we encountered a fair number of male Orange-tips, more than we’d seen so far this year, all very active, not allowing us any photo opportunities. After the hard slog up to the first pit we started seeing a number of Dingy Skippers, some settling, despite the hot weather, long enough for a few photos. There was a solitary Common Blue, a few Grizzled Skippers, a couple of Green Hairstreaks and two Duke of Burgundies active in this pit too.
We were about to venture up into the second pit when somebody called out to us from the gate. A couple we’d seen at Denbies Hillside earlier in the week had found some Fly Orchids right next to the path and were kind enough to share them with us.

P1010265Resize.JPG
P1010268Resize.JPG
P1010224Resize.JPG
P1010276Resize.JPG
P1270290Resize.JPG
P1010251Resize.JPG
P1010296Resize.JPG

P1010283Resize.JPG

Up in the second pit we found a couple more Duke’s defending their territories, and further up the hillside were several more Duke’s and a couple of females. We also found more Green Hairstreaks, one in particular ovipositing on Dogwood.

P1270323Resize.JPG
P1270359Resize.JPG
Several fresh Small Heaths
Several fresh Small Heaths

We saw a total of 10 Dukes and 2 females over the whole site.

We’d decided to visit Rewell Wood as well as Heyshott, so headed off mid-afternoon to Fairmile Bottom where we knew we’d find a parking spot. It was quite a climb up the hill to the woods, and fortunately we bumped into the same couple we’d seen at Heyshott who let us take a photo of their OS map so we could find the East-West Ride where the Pearl Bordered Frits had been seen. When we found the spot there were a few PBF’s busily nectaring on the abundant Bugle along the edge of the ride. There were a number of fresh looking Pearls alongside a few worn ones, and although they were making it difficult for a decent photo as some of the Bugle was hidden in the grass, we did manage to capture a couple out in the open nectaring.

P1270401Resize.JPG
P1010061Resize.JPG

P1270395Resize.JPG
As we didn't see any roosting Pearls I have added a shot of one taken several years ago.
As we didn't see any roosting Pearls I have added a shot of one taken several years ago.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

What a great selection of butterflies in a single day.

Nice crisp PBF shots too.

Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Pearls, Mike. They positively glow in those shots. :) Good to bump into you the other day at Denbies, by the way! You got some terrific Wood Whites at Chiddingfold later on I see. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow what a couple of days you've had Mike :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I wouldn't know where to start with the compliments with such a fantastic selection of shots, corkers all :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ps Humberside and Essex on Friday - quite an unusual combination :wink:

David M

Post by David M »

As others have said, Mike, that's a nice range of butterfly species but for me the stand out image is that of the stunning Fly Orchid. What a delicate and intricate feat of Mother Nature.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm struggling to keep up with my own diary Mike, let alone others so I have just seen your last few posts. What smashing shots of the Wood Whites - the dark background provides quite a striking, dramatic effect emphasizing how delicate those little butterflies are. Love the 2 together also, mirroring each other :mrgreen: . Another great image of the Green Hairstreak ovi-posting - my only criticism would be: where's the shot of the egg :wink: :lol: If this weather keeps up I'll see you both next season :roll: :lol:

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, ernie, it wasn't a bad selection, but involved a lot of walking.

Thanks, Dave, good to meet you too. The Wood Whites were very lively, even at that late hour :shock:

Thanks, Wurzel :D

Yes, David, Fly Orchids are so small and delicate and are easily overlooked.

Pauline, I'm also struggling to keep up with my diary, and others :o Things are now speeding along at quite a pace :shock: Yes the Wood Whites were difficult due to the strong front light with the dark woodland background, but hopefully they turned out alright in the end. In reply to your comment regarding the Green Hairstreak egg (or lack of), I plan to rectify this omission shortly :wink:

29th May

We have just returned from a short break on the Isle of Wight where we were hoping to find some Glanville Fritillaries. We need not have worried, however, as Glanville Fritillary numbers were perhaps the best we have seen in the five years we’ve been visiting the island.
We normally head straight to Wheelers Bay as it’s a really reliable spot for Glanvilles, but this year we decided to go to Compton Bay first. We parked up and set off along the cliff top and immediately began to see lots of frits flying low, just above the abundant thrift. We reached the steps to the beach and as we descended we were totally blown away by the numbers of Glanvilles that were flying along the Undercliff, there were hundreds of them! Getting a photograph however was almost impossible, as due to the very warm weather conditions virtually none were stopping, so we decided to head elsewhere and return when it was cooler.
We visited several sites over the week, in particular Wheelers Bay, Bonchurch Down, Afton Down and a few of the Chines along the south coast of the island. On each of these sites we encountered Glanville Frits, and on several of them the numbers were high, which, for us, has not been the case in previous years. So this appears to be an exceptional year, it seems, for the population of this beautiful little butterfly.

Male
Male
Female
Female
P1010242Resize.JPG
P1010395Resize.JPG
P1010421Resize.JPG
P1010442Resize.JPG
Female with an ab underside, didn't see her upperside!
Female with an ab underside, didn't see her upperside!
P1270508Resize.JPG
Glanville territory
Glanville territory
Poor shot of our only mating pair!
Poor shot of our only mating pair!
P1010293Resize.JPG

tbc..

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Great Glanville shots there Maximus...…….. A few years back ,think it must have been a poor year,just about managed half a dozen
along the cliffs near Freshwater ,seeing your pics makes me think a return visit is in order !
Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Personal Diaries”