Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

I went out early this morning in order to photograph the Butterflies before the day warmed up.
This did provide an opportunity to find some species posing nicely as they soaked up the early sun.

Later in the morning, in full sunshine, a male Orange Tip settled on a Cow Parsley flower head,
in exactly the same way that they settle when the sun is obscured by cloud, it remained there
for a couple of minutes. I've seen patrolling male OT's briefly pause to bask or nectar,
but have never witnessed the dash for cover in full sun behaviour before.
That unexpected moment allowed a decent photo opportunity however.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1150167.JPG
P1150143.JPG
P1150132.JPG
P1150130.JPG
P1150125.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Seems too hot now Trevor for Butterflies, you did okay though :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I’m envious now, Trevor. I’ve not seen a Comma for a fortnight but they’re still popping up on your patch!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see some old timers hanging on in there Trevor - I mean the Comma :D Good technique with the OT I love the underside of the males particularly the tips of the forewing where there's a hint of orange just below the continuation of the cryptic patterning :D

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

trevor wrote:...I've seen patrolling male OT's briefly pause to bask or nectar, but have never witnessed the dash for cover in full sun behaviour before...Trevor.
Hi Trevor, I too have witnessed this behavior for the first time over the past couple of days, no doubt due to the high temperature we are having.

Great photo as well :D

Cheers,

Neil

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone. The OT behaviour we've both seen, Neil, could be down to the heat.
It is not usually that hot when the OT's fly.

Very early this morning I set off for Abbots wood in the hope of finding a few Pearl Bordered Fritillaries
in the process of warming up, rather than warmed up !. ( they had warmed up by 9.00 when I left ).
My first Pearl was found basking on a Birch sapling, before I was able to approach it, it flew down
onto some bluebells. For a while, in the building heat, it seemed as though there were Pearls everywhere,
but my images suggest only two were present at my first location.
Two more high speed Pearls were spotted on the way back to the car, in a different area.

An added bonus came in the form of a mating pair of Speckled Yellow Moths, and a female
Speckled wood searching for somewhere to deposit her eggs.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1150175.JPG
P1150173.JPG
P1150200.JPG
P1150186.JPG
P1150205.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see the Pearls are out Trevor, at long last. :) Now we need the heat to ease off a bit to make them a bit more sluggish! :wink:

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great news Trevor :D - that means the Bentley ones should be out next weekend :wink: You did brilliantly to capture them on film in this heat :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots of the Pearls Trevor, on Blue Bells has well great!! Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

On my way to get a haircut this morning, I was very fortunate to find a pair
of Beautiful Demoiselle's soaking up the Sun.
After the barbers, I drove up to High and Over. Obviously the Wall Browns
were supercharged by the time I arrived, but I found two a rest, for about
3 seconds !, one of these already showing battle scars.
I counted eight males in total.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1150231.JPG
P1150227.JPG
P1150208.JPG
P1150206.JPG

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Oh, Wow - Wall Browns! Great shots.

Where are they located? Which part of the country?

I have to admit I only have one pic of a Wall Brown and that was the only time I ever saw one. It was when I was more into Birds than Butterflies many years ago. I nabbed it at Keyhaven when I lived in the New Forest.

Cheers

Ernie F
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Ernie,

The Wall Browns can be found at High and Over in East Sussex.
High and Over is between Alfriston and Seaford, on the road that can be accessed
from the A27, at the Drucilas zoo roundabout.
The ( free ) car park is a the top of a long steep hill. The Walls can usually be found
basking on the steps at the view point, and along the hedge in the field beyond the steps.

Hope this helps,
Trevor.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Thanks, Trevor.

Would you believe it I actually had a short-break at Alfriston a few years ago and didn't know they were there!

Ernie F
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely images in your last post Trevor. It's hard to believe that not so long ago Wall Brown's were relatively common in my area and now seem to be in decline at Lymington - still, a good excuse for a trip to IOW :wink: :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Wall shots Trevor - hopefully they'll be out and about in the Churchyard when you next visit, or at The Hill, no reports yet though :D

Have a goodun
Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Well done with the PBFs and the Walls, Trevor. Hopefully I'll catch up with these two in the next few days as it's clear numbers are building.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great find those Wall's Trevor, i don't think they're out here yet. I was at Southport last week and got the shock of my life, in the marsh where there were heaps of sand etc, ( i think used to be a cement works) they'd completely flattened it leaving just a small hill, Wall's could always be found there, I just hope when i go back again some will be seen but I've got doubts about that now. Goldie :roll:

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for your comments on the Wall Browns.
I am visiting my Daughter in Wiltshire from Sunday until Wednesday, next week.
so hopefully I will find some Spring brood Walls in the Church grounds there.

Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Today I was in the company of Dave (millerd) and Bugboy who had travelled down
to East Sussex from the London area.
We firstly walked from my house to the old railway, which was much quieter than
on some of my more recent visits. I think Dave felt quite at home when some Holly Blues were spotted.
Building cloud cover had also sent an Orange Tip to rest on Cow Parsley.

We then went over to Abbots wood for the Pearl Bordered Fritillary, several friends with the same
idea were also present. Unfortunately by the time we arrived it was too late for photography as the
temperature had risen to the point where the Pearls were flying at high speed.

After a stop for coffee we headed for High and Over for the Wall Brown, but none were seen
as it was fairly breezy up there. Bugboys keen eye spotted a single Orange Tip egg on Garlic Mustard,
And later on another OT was spotted in the process of selecting somewhere to roost.

A further late afternoon visit to Abbots wood coincided with some light cloud cover.
This afforded us with some great photo opportunities.

So ended a great day in good company, good to see you both.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1150313.JPG
P1150305.JPG
P1150297.JPG
Single Orange Tip egg, spotted by Bugboy.
Single Orange Tip egg, spotted by Bugboy.
P1150256.JPG
P1150286.JPG

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Superb Pearl photos Trevor! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Personal Diaries”