ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Neil and Wurzel: Thanks for the moth ID confirmation. It's kind of nice to have experts around to help me in areas I am unfamiliar with.

Home Patch: 28th April 2018

Overcast, cold and rainy all day so here are some more archive shots of moths from around my house and garden over recent years.

First off is the Many Plumed. It’s larvae feed on Honeysuckle and we do have this plant in our garden.
Many Plumed
Many Plumed
Then the Buttoned Snout. It’s larvae feed on hop. Alton was once a brewery town and the centre of a hop growing industry and some hop-fields still exist nearby.
Buttoned Snout
Buttoned Snout
Then the Bee Moth. It’s larvae feed on wasp and bee nest detritus. Unfortunately for us, we live in a house that attracts wasps to nest almost every year in our loft or chimney for some reason.
Bee Moth
Bee Moth
A Common Pug (I think)
Common Pug?
Common Pug?
And finally, a Small Dusty Wave
Small Dusty Wave
Small Dusty Wave
Non-butterfly (or in this case Non-moth) Snapshots of the day

Last year there came a day when there was quite a commotion in our back garden. I looked out to see that a male Sparrow-hawk had come down and made a kill. At first I couldn’t quite make out what it was but soon realised it was a Collared Dove. Blast, I thought to myself – it couldn’t have been a Wood Pigeon, could it? We’ve got far too many of those around here and only a very few Collared Doves.
Sparrow-hawk killing a Collared Dove
Sparrow-hawk killing a Collared Dove
It proceeded to peck away at the feathers - cleaning it ready to eat.
Sparrow-hawk cleaning its kill
Sparrow-hawk cleaning its kill
The unfortunate dove however did not eventually make for a meal because a moment later next-doors cat came over and frightened the Sparrow-hawk off. The cat was not hungry though, it merely sat there guarding the kill. I ended up having to go and get the dove and bury it. Oh well, such is nature I suppose.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I forgot to post this entry on the 23rd April because I was only there for 30 minutes while my wife was in the garden centre nearby and it slipped my mind.

Site Visit: Alice Holt Arboretum – 23rd April 2018

This is a fine part of the Alice Holt woodland containing a number of trees planted as an Arboretum in 1957 and now quite mature. At the right time of year, regular as clockwork a number of Purple Hairstreaks use an Ash as a master tree here. Even though there are Oaks either side of it and of course they do go onto the Oaks too, for some reason they prefer this Ash for jousting instead.

However, that is later in the year and I will post more about it closer to that time. Today near the Purple Hairstreak’s Master Ash I came across this lovely Orange Underwing Moth dancing around in the air. I followed it and at one point it came to rest on the gravel track and opened its wings wide. Fantastic!
Orange Underwing
Orange Underwing

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No worries Ernie, though I wouldn't call myself an expert I just got lucky in that that was one species I can ID :wink: :lol: More great moth shots especially the Orange Underwing :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Another dreary, wet and cold day so I thought I would present a little diversion. An enigma (to me at least).

Some of the butterflies in the Lycaenidae family perform an odd behaviour – a kind of “wing-roll”.

I first noticed this behaviour in the Silver-studded Blue colony on Broxhead Common. If a Silver-studded Blue settles for any length of time, it may move its hind wings in what appears to be a circular motion. Both the males and the females do this and I have seen them performing this behaviour with wings partly open, fully open and closed - its fascinating. I have seen them do “the wing roll” whilst nectaring from mature heather and resting on the ground or on a tightly cropped bed of young, un-blooming heather but not while basking, courting or mating. They do not seem to be conscious of neighbouring individuals when they do it, although I did see one stop when another butterfly flew past but that may just be because he was preparing for take-off if the need arose. And they do not always do it all the time - I have seen umpteen individuals not doing it while nectaring and quite a few who did. I have taken a few videos and it looks to me that one male was doing it perched upside-down on a heather flower at full stretch while probing inside the bell for nectar but as he withdrew he stopped. However in a video of a female on a heather bell she was just relaxing on top of it and she was still rolling her wings. Another female was doing it on the bare sand. Another male was on a heather plant that had no blooms and was clearly not nectaring from it. He did the wing roll with wings open and then closed. Video still shots of this male doing the wing roll follow. Please open word doc to see video stills. The top two shots in the attachment show the behaviour with wings open and the lower two shots with wings closed. This was the same individual on the same perch over a period of only 5 minutes. He changed from the open wing posture to the closed wing stance after being buffeted by a brief breeze.
silver-studded blue male wing-roll.docx
(4.22 MiB) Downloaded 32 times
Looking more closely at my videos what it seems to be doing when it has its wings closed is to very carefully roll one hind wing forward and then slightly open it before closing it and rolling it back again. It does the same with the other hind wing and alternates this action a few times – indeed one hind wing is moved forward as the other is returned simultaneously but it keeps its fore wings, body, antennae and legs still while doing this although it does seem sometimes the females move their middle legs up and down as part of the motion but not the males who only stand on their back four legs. It seems the intensity of the action is variable too. I have seen it done fast with some urgency but also slow and leisurely. When the wings are open it looks even more like a circular motion and in the male its clear that the extent of the wing roll is across the black band on the inside upper hind wing. It appears what this action does is to rub the fore wings and hind wings together over this black band and the effect of opening the wing slightly at the end of the roll might be to release any rubbed-off scales onto the plant or ground where the butterfly is perching. The female of course is brown but it seems to me that she too has a slightly different shading along this band and may also be rubbing off some of her scales across it. Why would a butterfly purposefully rub off some of its scales when clearly its not to attract a mate?

I have also seen the following do it: Small Blue, Purple Hairstreak, Holly Blue, Common Blue, Adonis Blue and on a single occasion amongst hundreds not doing it, Chalkhill Blue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Ernie F
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've watched various Lycids do this countless times over the years and I've always presumed (I'm not sure if I've read it somewhere or just made it up) that it's a form of protection against predation. Given that most species have false eyespots or antennae(tails) to draw attention away from the real head, by moving them around in this manner they are further enhancing the distraction.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Bugboy, that's a neat idea. I like it. It explains why both sexes do it. But I wonder why not all of the family does it - at least I have not seen Dukes, Green Hairstreaks or Brown Argus do it for example. I have just read another idea and that is it is one way of the butterfly warming up its flight muscles on cool, overcast days but I am sure I have seen already flying butterflies land on sunny days and then proceed to do a wing-roll. This year (if we ever get a warm, sunny day) I shall check that out in the field.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

30th April 2018

Damp and with an icy breeze. It barely reaches 7 degrees in Hampshire today - so here are some more archive shots of moths in my house and garden.

Large Yellow Underwing with its wings sufficiently parted at rest to see a portion of the yellow underwing.
Large Yellow Underwing
Large Yellow Underwing
Willow Beauty? Unsure but it looks like it and its larvae feed on deciduous trees and shrubs and there are a lot of those in our garden. Can anyone confirm ID or otherwise?
Willow Beauty?
Willow Beauty?
The Snout (1st Generation). It’s larvae feed on nettle which grows around King’s Pond opposite.
The Snout
The Snout
Small Magpie. This picture was taken without a flash inside the house at night under artificial lights hence the orange flush.
Small Magpie
Small Magpie
Grey Dagger Caterpillar showing the shark-like protrusion on its back while crawling over a leaf in our front garden.
Grey Dagger
Grey Dagger
Non-butterfly shot of the day

A few years ago I found that someone had “released” a pet Caspian Turtle into King’s Pond opposite my house. I just assumed it would not survive the first winter but how wrong could I be? I saw it again just a couple of days ago as healthy as any turtle could be.
Caspian Turtle
Caspian Turtle
The weather is supposed to be a bit better here tomorrow. I hope so because I am running out of archive moth shots :?

Ernie F
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Nice moth shots Ernie, something I always like to see. :D

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Andrew

Yep - you can't beat a good moth shot. I keep thinking about getting a moth trap but the cost of a good one stops me.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Site Visit: Noar Hill - 1st May 2018
Noar Hill Cowslips and Early Purple Orchids
Noar Hill Cowslips and Early Purple Orchids
AT LAST!!! My first Duke of Burgundy of the year. Only one and only fleetingly – I was only able to get a record shot of it that is not good enough to post here. I met Pauline while here and she saw an additional one, perhaps two and got there at least 30 minutes before I did, so I cannot be the first to claim a sighting this year here. Thanks Pauline :lol:

My first sighting gives me the chance to review my past experiences with Dukes at Noar Hill.

They love the low, sheltered areas afforded by the overgrown medieval chalk-pit workings at Noar Hill. They will often sit on low plants such as cowslips and nectar from them.
Duke on a Cowslip
Duke on a Cowslip
Males perch awaiting females to pass by and will attack any males that enter their chosen territory.
Duke of Burgundy - male (1).JPG
In the very best years just about every pit at Noar Hill will harbour a few Dukes but the central pits are the best bet in a typical year. The pit right in the centre of the reserve can also hold a small number of the late-summer brood.
Duke of Burgundy - female (4).JPG
They do not wander far. The Dukes of each pit will typically stay in that pit and the shrubs around it. At worst they will wander into the next pit along for some part of the day.

Dukes are normally low fliers keeping close to the ground and low shrubs but on the odd occasion they will stop off on the lower boughs of trees. The one pictured below landed just above head height and stayed there nectaring for a long while.
Duke of Burgundy on hawthorn (99).jpg
On overcast days I once wondered where they had all gone. Well I found in these circumstances they can perch in bushes and on tall grasses and hardly move from their chosen spot until it has warmed up again. Someone else on UK Butterflies posted he witnessed an Orange Tip do this for four days and when it got sunny and warm once again it flew off, none the worse for it.
Duke of Burgundy - male 22 (4).JPG
When they hold their wings very wide open so that the front wings part slightly from the rear ones, then the leading edge of the hind wings show two startlingly white dots on them.
The white spots
The white spots
The numbers at Noar Hill can be good or they can be bad - it depends it seems on the weather. One year I found 42, another year they maxed-out at only 12.
Duke of Burgundy - male - underside (6).JPG
But you only need to see one to get hooked on them. Last year in early April I found one on the main central path and within the space of a couple of minutes I was surrounded by eager butterfly enthusiasts, some of whom had come a long way to see one here and this was the first time they had ever seen one. Out came all the cameras and luckily the butterfly was very obliging, staying stock still for them for some minutes before getting bored and flitting off.

One year recently at Noar Hill I witnessed some odd behaviour from a male Duke who seemed to have got very confused. He continually pestered a Burnet Companion Moth as though it was a female Duke. He followed the BCM for ages, sometimes apparently nudging it but surprisingly the BCM did not fly off. It just walked through the grass. Obviously it was not too perturbed by this odd attention it was getting.
Duke with Burnet Companion Moth
Duke with Burnet Companion Moth
Perhaps it thought it was being pursued by a male BCM! A weird co-incidence if it did.
Duke of Burgundy - male - with Burnet Companion (1).JPG
It has to be said that when the BCM spreads its forewings, the revealed hindwings do have a passing resemblance to the hindwings of a Duke but you would think a male Duke would not be so fooled for so long.

Maybe it thought it was another male Duke and was trying to shoo it away. Who knows? I don’t. Has anyone else got any ideas?

Also here today, one female Brimstone and one male Orange Tip and that was it butterfly-wise but the Whitethroats were in fine song.

Site Visit: Selborne Church Meadow - 1st May 2018
Across Church Meadow
Across Church Meadow
Took the opportunity while it was sunny of revisiting the Church Meadow. Two Orange Tips, two Small Whites and two Holly Blues – all male.
Small White - male - spring brood (3).JPG
Small White - male - spring brood (99).jpg
Small White - male - spring brood (1).JPG
Orange Tip - male 2.JPG
The Holly Blue photographed was a bit high. He just would not come down to play.
Holly Blue - male 2 (1).JPG
Also a Kestrel, a Red Kite and a Pergrine Falcon! Fantastic.

Non-Butterfly Snapshot of the Day

Noar Hill at this time of year shows its first orchid, the Early Purple. Amongst the thousands of cowslips you will find perhaps over a hundred of these orchids. They tend to cluster in certain areas. Typically the best bunch is along the main central path (which is my first picture in this post). and where I found this particularly purple one just opening up. The colour of their blooms can vary quite a bit, from deep purple to rosy pink. The only other orchid they can be confused with is the Green-winged Orchid but that species does not grow at Noar Hill.
Very purple Early Purple Orchid at Noar Hill
Very purple Early Purple Orchid at Noar Hill

Ernie F
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Ern, first off can I just say that I am loving your diary - a fresh approach to all things natural - and I am wondering why I had to nag you for so long to start one :wink: :lol: Secondly, I cannot claim to have seen the first Duke as Mark Jones spotted one last week - nevertheless it is great to see them. After the level of predation last Autumn I am interested to see how numbers pan out this year.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Pauline

Thanks for your comment.

Also, on a quick review of the pics I posted for Selborne Meadow I said they were Small Whites. They were of course Green-veined Whites. Oops!

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great reportage on the Dukes Ernie :D Good to see they're off the mark :D Beautiful crisp whites shots :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to see your Dukes, particularly the one on the Cowslip.
I have always thought that combination makes for an ideal image of a Duke.

Some great reports recently,
Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I love your shots of the GVW's there so crisp and I think Whites are very hard to get good shots of. :mrgreen: Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Great news, Ernie! I can't remember the last time it took till May for Dukes to appear. With the warm bank holiday to follow they may have just timed their emergence perfectly. Let's hope so!

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel: Thanks for the support on my reports when I make them. I can’t wait for when the Silver-studded Blues start up ‘cos I have a whole bunch of observations on them as I have a sizeable brood near me.

Trevor: I always like peoples photos of butterflies best when they are associated with blooms of some kind.

Goldie: Thanks. I was pleased with the Green-veined White shots. Most of the ones I had already were of the underside of the wings or a bit washed-out top shots. I got lucky this time.

David: Yes it is very late for the Dukes. I was starting to get tired looking and getting no results.

Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

No site visit today. Bad weather and my car is in the garage anyway.

Hopefully this is the last wintery spring day for Hampshire. The forecast is one of improvement so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. But today – its another moth archive picture event I’m afraid.

I have run out of the ones seen around my house and garden so I’m “spreading my wings” a bit to sample a few seen further afield.

Brimstone moth at Noar Hill. Is that an egg on the leaf next to its wing?
Brimstone moth
Brimstone moth
Blood Vein at Odiham Common
Blood Vein at Odiham Common
Clouded Buff (male) at Broxhead Common
Clouded Buff (male) at Broxhead Common
Tawny Barred-angle at Longmoor
Tawny Barred-angle at Longmoor
Speckled Yellow at Oxenbourne Down
Speckled Yellow at Oxenbourne Down
Wood Tiger at Old Winchester Hill
Wood Tiger at Old Winchester Hill
Large Emerald at Broxhead Common
Large Emerald at Broxhead Common
Hummingbird Hawkmoth at Old Winchester Hill
Hummingbird Hawkmoth at Old Winchester Hill
Scarlet Tiger at St Catherine’s Hill riverside
Scarlet Tiger at St Catherine’s Hill riverside
Cinnebar at Noar Hill
Cinnebar at Noar Hill
Ruby Tiger at Kingsley wayside
Ruby Tiger at Kingsley wayside
And finally, a couple of years ago at Magdalen Hill there was a swarm of Six-spot Burnet.
Six Spot Burnet (4).JPG
Just about every Knapweed had a bunch of them on it and there are a lot of Knapweeds at Magdalen Hill!
Six Spot Burnet (5).JPG
Non-butterfly snapshot of the day

As you know I try if I can to add something different to the end of my posts and this one is certainly different. Its not wildlife at all but instead an unusual weather phenomenon that I saw toward the end of last year while searching for Small Coppers at Kingsley Common - one of my closest nature reserves. I saw a TV program that showed this happening and explained it. It said that super-cooled raindrops seed into ice crystals inside part of the cloud and drop down under their own weight only to evaporate before reaching the ground. It punctures a hole in the cloud and looks for all the world as if the sky is falling in.
Weird sky over Kingsley Common
Weird sky over Kingsley Common

Ernie F
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

I would agree with your Willow Beauty, Ernie (Monday's post) - a really smart individual as well.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

CallumMac wrote:I would agree with your Willow Beauty, Ernie (Monday's post) - a really smart individual as well.
I would too. I get both these and the very similar Mottled Beauty in my garden trap and have found the web page at the link below useful with these;

http://www.eakringbirds.com/eakringbird ... willow.htm

I am jealous of your grounded Orange underwing, a cracking shot :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”